Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2021 - “2nd comes right after 1st”

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW All-Australian squad:
Adelaide: Sarah Allan, Anne Hatchard, Ebony Marinoff, Erin Phillips
Brisbane Lions:
Kate Lutkins, Sophie Conway, Catherine Svarc, Dakota Davidson
Carlton: Breann Moody, Kerryn Harrington, Darcy Vescio, Madison Prespakis
Collingwood: Stacey Livingstone, Chloe Molloy, Brittany Bonnici, Brianna Davey, Jaimee Lambert, Ruby Schleicher
Fremantle: Gemma Houghton, Kiara Bowers, Janelle Cuthbertson
Geelong: Meghan McDonald
GWS: Alyce Parker
Gold Coast: Lauren Ahrens
Melbourne: Kate Hore, Karen Paxman, Tyla Hanks, Lauren Pearce
North Melbourne: Emma King, Emma Kearney, Jasmine Garner, Ashleigh Riddell
Richmond: Harriet Cordner, Katie Brennan, Monique Conti, Ellie McKenzie
St Kilda: Georgia Patrikios
West Coast Eagles: Mikayla Bowen
Western Bulldogs: Isabel Huntington, Ellie Blackburn

The 2021 squad of 40 was chosen by a panel comprising of:
  • Nicole Livingstone (Chair, AFL)
  • Steve Hocking (AFL)
  • Josh Vanderloo (AFL)
  • Kelli Underwood (Fox Footy)
  • Sarah Black (AFL.com.au)
  • Tim Harrington (AFLPA)
  • Shelley Ware (media commentator)
  • Sharelle McMahon (media commentator)

I love how even Gold Coast got a nomination despite coming last on 0 wins with a percentage of 37

Apparently a truly awful team has one All Australian worthy player lol
I really don't see how that's relevant to the selection of an All Australian team?

Generally better teams have better players.

Especially in the AFLW where the best teams are basically a division better than the bad teams
But your beef seems to be with 1 individual in a particular team to me.

I'm sure there's been many players from poorly performing teams that have made AA teams in the men's comp in the past and no doubt will in the future.

We'll have to agree to disagree I'm afraid because no matter how bad the team an individual plays for it should not debar them from AA honours if they've earnt it through performance.

Looking at some of the players from some of the teams it would appear the selectors would fit in nicely at the Royal Show.... (Every player wins a prize).

But your beef seems to be with 1 individual in a particular team to me.

I'm sure there's been many players from poorly performing teams that have made AA teams in the men's comp in the past and no doubt will in the future.

We'll have to agree to disagree I'm afraid because no matter how bad the team an individual plays for it should not debar them from AA honours if they've earnt it through performance.
I don't believe the individuals picked for the bottom teams are better than individuals not picked at the best teams.

They have clearly given a participation award for each of the bottom teams. I wouldn't have their selections from Gold Coast, West Coast or Geelong in the competition's top 40 players

The best teams at AFLW level are those that have a good spread of players, not a few great players. There was an interesting article recently about how Brisbane had nobody in the top fifteen players of the coaches awards despite finishing second, such was the spread of their team.

It's easy to forget that Richmond was expected to dominate in 2020 because they had picked up so many star players.

I'm struggling to think who else in our team really deserves an AA nomination. Someone like Mules or Button have had great seasons but niggling, tackling wingers never get rewarded in AA teams. Foley and Scheer were good but didn't quite do enough. You could make an argument for Woodland, if only she hadn't been so inaccurate in the first half of the season. Randall always deserves to be there, but she sacrificed her game to go up forward. Metcalfe was quality around the ground but just average in the ruck itself.

The four that got in deserve to be there. Hatchard and Marinoff are as good as any midfield pair in the league, I think Allan is probably the best defender in the comp, and Erin Phillips is Erin Phillips.

Last edited:
AFLW All-Australian squad:
Adelaide: Sarah Allan, Anne Hatchard, Ebony Marinoff, Erin Phillips
Brisbane Lions:
Kate Lutkins, Sophie Conway, Catherine Svarc, Dakota Davidson
Carlton: Breann Moody, Kerryn Harrington, Darcy Vescio, Madison Prespakis
Collingwood: Stacey Livingstone, Chloe Molloy, Brittany Bonnici, Brianna Davey, Jaimee Lambert, Ruby Schleicher
Fremantle: Gemma Houghton, Kiara Bowers, Janelle Cuthbertson
Geelong: Meghan McDonald
GWS: Alyce Parker
Gold Coast: Lauren Ahrens
Melbourne: Kate Hore, Karen Paxman, Tyla Hanks, Lauren Pearce
North Melbourne: Emma King, Emma Kearney, Jasmine Garner, Ashleigh Riddell
Richmond: Harriet Cordner, Katie Brennan, Monique Conti, Ellie McKenzie
St Kilda: Georgia Patrikios
West Coast Eagles: Mikayla Bowen
Western Bulldogs: Isabel Huntington, Ellie Blackburn

The 2021 squad of 40 was chosen by a panel comprising of:
  • Nicole Livingstone (Chair, AFL)
  • Steve Hocking (AFL)
  • Josh Vanderloo (AFL)
  • Kelli Underwood (Fox Footy)
  • Sarah Black (AFL.com.au)
  • Tim Harrington (AFLPA)
  • Shelley Ware (media commentator)
  • Sharelle McMahon (media commentator)
I have this as my team out of those;

B: Livingstone, Allan
HB: Schleicher, Lutkins, Paxman
C: Hore, Davey, Garner
HF: Phillips, Brennan, Molloy
F: Vescio, Houghton
Foll: Pearce, Bowers, Bonnici

Int: Marinoff, Lambert, Riddell, Parker, Patrikios

Age old All-Australian debate as there’s hardly any defenders in the squad and I really can’t find a 5th defender in that group that deserved that last defensive spot, Harrington will probably still get selected because of her numbers even if she wasn’t that influential, Conway underrated but probably didn’t do enough to get in the team either and I’d rather chuck another midfielder that hung around halfback a little in Paxman and get an extra midfielder in that deserves a spot a lot more. Also known AFLW favourites Kearney and Blackburn will probably get into those last 2 spots instead of Parker and Patrikios.

Last edited:
So... Melbourne next week! Our bogey side in the prelim, no ideal :( They looked pretty damn structured today, we'll need to find a way to stop them from playing one-on-one across the ground and stifling our run. I think we'll need to focus on shutting down their scoring and then just take our opportunities the other way when they come. Randall back to defence for mine.

Going to be a big match!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I can't make it. Stupid work

And looking at the Rd 5 fixture. I probably cant make a grand final either. As I'd say 95% chance they go Saturday lunch and play it against the Bulldogs vs Suns game. Maybe a 5% chance they go with Sunday twilight after the mens game. That I can make though.

And I can't make it. Stupid work

And looking at the Rd 5 fixture. I probably cant make a grand final either. As I'd say 95% chance they go Saturday lunch and play it against the Bulldogs vs Suns game. Maybe a 5% chance they go with Sunday twilight after the mens game. That I can make though.

I’m the same next week (though mine are SANFL commitments).

I’m hoping that it’s a Saturday night Grand Final next weekend if we make it, as that would be the best time for me to go...or Sunday twilight.

I’m the same next week (though mine are SANFL commitments).

I’m hoping that it’s a Saturday night Grand Final next weekend if we make it, as that would be the best time for me to go...or Sunday twilight.
if the GF is Saturday afternoon it's Amatuer league commitments for me
So I need Sat night or Sunday anytime.

I'd love Sunday twilight and get people to do a double header of mens into womens.

If it's at AO the GF will be the Saturday afternoon I reckon. They won't put it up against two men's games on the Saturday night.

I also doubt they'll do a Sunday twilight "after the men's". The AFL and AO will want the highest exposure possible for full gate takings, now that it costs fans to get in.

Will be 2 great semis next week. All are in top form, with Melbourne being the most form-team. However, if talking about the recent 3 weeks, we have probably the best form out of everyone, and we are playing in Adelaide. Our Finals experience will also be a plus.

Hoping to see Erin fire up as she's been a little down on output in recent weeks. Also want to see some Ponter magic too!

Wednesday. Members at 2:30, non-members at 3:30.

I'm pretty sure the details are at http://afc.com.au but if not they'll be at http://womens.afl

Cheers. Just saw them on a site. Luck's a fortune. I'm in Adelaide from Wednesday for 10 days so can go. Was going to see the Power Richmond game as well but may change my mind. Would've loved to go see my SANFL team play but the AFL has made the games clash. I wonder if that was a deliberate attempt to get lower crowds at the SANFL this week?

I know these things don't really matter and the only thing that does is winning the next two games and a 3rd flag... but...

womens.afl.com team of the year

Erin Phillips the only Crow player in the team - team that finished top had less players feature than the following non-finalist teams

Carl - 3 players
GWS - 2 players
St Kilda - 2 players
WB - 2 players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back