Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 3 vs. Brisbane, MARVEL Thurs 01/04 @ 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The negativity toward team selection seems odd to me. It came down to Mayne or Murphy because Ruscoe couldn’t hold his spot, McReery has only training form and Cameron wasn’t on the radar because he wasn’t on the black team...

Against a Brisbane lineup with 5 guys sub 10 games and no ruckman the club clearly values hardened senior bodies. There’ll be time for youth once the injuries hit later in the year. For now though I’m fine with picking guys who are reliable.

If we’re half way serious in 2021 we win this by 4 goals + given all the obstacles in front of Brisbane so all the pressure is on us. I have no confidence that we won’t crack under it rather than team selection being the decisive factor.
Stop being so sensible

Scientific fact , WTF , are we on Mars , we are on a footy field , don`t worry about my opinion , simple fact is that "Cal" is below average in every facet of the game , he has been gifted the jumper 50 times due to his heritage, I will put to you , put "Cal" on the the trade table at the end of the season , what do you think another club will offer us .. a packet of chicken samboy flavoured chips or a polly waffle, ! take the chips , he has proved already he is a polly waffle
With all due respect to you, that is bullshit

The negativity toward team selection seems odd to me. It came down to Mayne or Murphy because Ruscoe couldn’t hold his spot, McReery has only training form and Cameron wasn’t on the radar because he wasn’t on the black team...

Against a Brisbane lineup with 5 guys sub 10 games and no ruckman the club clearly values hardened senior bodies. There’ll be time for youth once the injuries hit later in the year. For now though I’m fine with picking guys who are reliable.

If we’re half way serious in 2021 we win this by 4 goals + given all the obstacles in front of Brisbane so all the pressure is on us. I have no confidence that we won’t crack under it rather than team selection being the decisive factor.
It's round 3. We've only lost one game. I really don't know why so many on here want to throw the season and just pick kids.

It's round 3. We've only lost one game. I really don't know why so many on here want to throw the season and just pick kids.
That because most of BF Collingwood members are imbeciles, they love to push the untried, then they backpedal like Lance Armstrong in reverse when it all goes to s**t, i wish the mods would leave gameday threads open so we could expose these cretins.

We're a good team, should finish top 4 IMO.

Yeah we lost to a top4 premiership fav, where it was the quick 3 goals in first 5 minutes that was the difference.

We beat one of the more fancied teams to take our spot in the 8 in r2.

It just doesn't make any sense to start blooding kids "just because".

Pick our best available 22, beat Brisbane go 2-1 and roll into GWS with some form and confidence.

If we get past ANZAC day and are 1-5 that is when you throw the kids in, not after a 3 goal loss to a highly fancied team in rd1.

Mayne JT WHE have been below average for 2 years now time to blood some youngsters and their development.

Against the Lions we will need to tag Neale or he will likely be the difference with 30+ and a couple of goals.

That because most of BF Collingwood members are imbeciles, they love to push the untried, then they backpedal like Lance Armstrong in reverse when it all goes to sh*t, i wish the mods would leave gameday threads open so we could expose these cretins.

We're a good team, should finish top 4 IMO.
I love your passion mate, and agree with you, but you lost me at "should finish top 4".

A spot in the 8 is my strongest hope.

I like our changes.

I am a normally pessimistic about pies, especially against a team with backs against the wall that are no wins from two games.

I still think they are are a great bet for those that punt, if they are outsiders.

If you asked me honestly, lions win, but honestly hope I am so wrong.

I actually don't believe it's so much about Mayne as the lack of imagination displayed in selecting him over younger players with possible Elliott-like attributes to offer up forward. Our recruits over the last couple of years need to be given the opportunity to experience AFL action and show what the can or might be able to do on the big stage.
Yes they need a go, but as some have pointed out, lot of the kids have not played in a proper competitive match for well over twelve months.
So how do give them ago when they haven’t played. With no form to speak of.

Change of coach?, what ever the reason it’s crap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The odds are stacked in our favour for this one, literally. Haven't felt like this since... the 2019 Preliminary Final against GWS 😭

those with the rose tinted glasses who insist we can finish top 4 will hold back on the development of players in the name of short term-ism.

If we persist with a short term outlook playing the likes of Mayne, Greenwood, Thomas etc we’ll fall in a hole in 18months time.

Need to blood a few players now rather than forced to blood several at once later on because of injury, retirement etc

Question: How does playing 3rd year player Murphy instead of Mayne handicap a team that has played the last 3rds with Henry and/or Ruscoe in its line up? Especially considering both those players aren’t in Thurs night line up...

It’s not as if Murphy is a new scrawny kid. And it’s not as if Mayne... coming off a concussion and at this point in his career... will contribute big to our performance on Thurs night.

Last edited:
If we persist with a short term outlook playing the likes of Mayne, Greenwood, Thomas etc we’ll fall in a hole in 18months time.
???
Our outlook should be no further than who are the best available 22 to defeat Brisbane tonight.

Need to blood a few players now rather than forced to blood several at once later on because of injury, retirement etc
Absolute crap, our development coaches don't need to blood players in R3 when he have a healthy senior list available.

Question: How does playing 3rd year player Murphy instead of Mayne handicap a team that has played the last 3rds with Henry and/or Ruscoe in its line up? Especially considering both those players aren’t in Thurs night line up...

It’s not as if Murphy is a new scrawny kid. And it’s not as if Mayne... coming off a concussion and at this point in his career... will contribute big to our performance on Thurs night.
The coaching staff will give Mayne a role, it could be a run with role, and have 100% faith he will perform.....so he will contribute to our performance in R3.

Murphy, well considering majority of his footy has been in defence, he perhaps doesn't have a role....if there are still elements of his game up on wing/half forward that he needs to develop we can currently afford to let him develop in VFL / practice games.

Why so many are keen on using AFL games and our best senior 22 as the development squad for some projected time 2 years away is really puzzling.

???
Our outlook should be no further than who are the best available 22 to defeat Brisbane tonight.

Absolute crap, our development coaches don't need to blood players in R3 when he have a healthy senior list available.

The coaching staff will give Mayne a role, it could be a run with role, and have 100% faith he will perform.....so he will contribute to our performance in R3.

Murphy, well considering majority of his footy has been in defence, he perhaps doesn't have a role....if there are still elements of his game up on wing/half forward that he needs to develop we can currently afford to let him develop in VFL / practice games.

Why so many are keen on using AFL games and our best senior 22 as the development squad for some projected time 2 years away is really puzzling.

Murphy’s been training and playing intraclub on the wing to a good standard... common knowledge around here.

With our list profile of 23 players with 23 games or less (at seasons start) do you seriously think we should invest more time in Mayne? That rd 3 is the only thing the club needs to prepare for going forth? Crikey.

Reflexive action from Buckley.Mayne’s always been a favourite of his,and he was always likely to come in,even if he wasn’t the most logical replacement for Elliott.
Have you forgotten Mayne's first couple of years with us? Buckley pretty much threw him under the bus. He had to grind his way back into the side, and has earned every bit of consideration he is now given. Buckley recognized his error and changed his view. None of this is grounds for criticism today. The sole object is to get the best team on the field, and there, your last point makes sense. I don't expect that Mayne will be sent to do Elliott's job, but that Hoskin-Elliott will and Mayne will move into his role. Any way, we'll see how it works tonight.

Changing the team to introduce young players can wait until either we've shown we won't make it this year, or form and injuries force changes. We can be certain that both form gains and losses as well as injuries will be part of the season.

Murphy’s been training and playing intraclub on the wing to a good standard... common knowledge around here.
That is good, let's see how he goes in VFL against senior opposition....he can force his way in on form.

With our list profile of 23 players with 23 games or less (at seasons start) do you seriously think we should invest more time in Mayne? That rd 3 is the only thing the club needs to prepare for going forth? Crikey.
Why are people so keen on using R3 as some part of development for some random games in 2023?

It is pretty simple, our AFL team for R3 should be the players who the coaching staff think will give us the best chance of winning TONIGHT.

Our performance in 2021 will be primarily dictated by the output of our senior players.

If we are going to be a successful team in the future, your fascination with how we are going in 18 months timeframe, we need some kids to come good, but if our kids are any good they will demand games after a our VFL team has a good run of wins.

By the way, how do you know which kids will even be on our list in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back