Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Where would he rank amongst Dalrymple’s best picks? In relation to his draft position he’d be right up there

Based on where he was taken in the draft and how he was an out of nowhere pick, Williams is easily a top five pick. Guys like Bont, Macrae & Stringer were no brainers because they were top five talents and you probably shouldn't get a ton of credit for picking them. Williams is in the tier with JJ, Dahlhaus and Daniel in terms of taking players with question marks on them or without a lot of exposed form.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Based on where he was taken in the draft and how he was an out of nowhere pick, Williams is easily a top five pick. Guys like Bont, Macrae & Stringer were no brainers because they were top five talents and you probably shouldn't get a ton of credit for picking them. Williams is in the tier with JJ, Dahlhaus and Daniel in terms of taking players with question marks on them or without a lot of exposed form.

I get the sentiment of recruiters should nail the top picks and a great recruiter is one that nails the later picks.

To me, however, the Bontempelli pick is his best one without a doubt. Seemed like most thought he’d gone early on him. It seemed like Collingwood were the only other team in the top 10 that were really keen on him. James Aish seemed like the logical pick at four, he was highly regarded from 16yo and had been playing well at SANFL level from then. Three years later, Bont is a B&F winner in a premiership year and already one of the best in the game. That pick alone seems to change a lot of fortunes and Dalrymple.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
It makes me so ******* happy to see Bailey Williams doing so well. I have no idea why but I've found myself really rooting for this kid since we drafted him. Anyone who watched him play VFL knows how dominant he could be at that level. In 2018 we saw glimpses of that in a few AFL games. A few moments here and there had me giggling with excitement and I remember commenting that I thought he was the only player on our list with pure talent rivalling The Bont. But after most of us probably thought he was on the cusp of breaking out, his 2019 season was fairly disappointing. He struggled to cement his spot in the side and I began to seriously worry about whether or not he could reach his ridiculous potential. We often see glimpses of what looks like special talent before the players career swiftly fizzles out. Brad Lynch is probably a good example of a player who showed a lot in that same year but whose name is almost forgotten already.

So cheers Bailey "Truck" "Horse" Williams. You've become the player whom we all hoped you could be. May you have a long and illustrious career. And who knows, you may even have another level you can rise to from here.

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It makes me so ******* happy to see Bailey Williams doing so well. I have no idea why but I've found myself really rooting for this kid since we drafted him. Anyone who watched him play VFL knows how dominant he could be at that level. In 2018 we saw glimpses of that in a few AFL games. A few moments here and there had me giggling with excitement and I remember commenting that I thought he was the only player on our list with pure talent rivalling The Bont. But after most of us probably thought he was on the cusp of breaking out, his 2019 season was fairly disappointing. He struggled to cement his spot in the side and I began to seriously worry about whether or not he could reach his ridiculous potential. We often see glimpses of what looks like special talent before the players career swiftly fizzles out. Brad Lynch is probably a good example of a player who showed a lot in that same year but whose name is almost forgotten already.

So cheers Bailey "Truck" "Horse" Williams. You've become the player whom we all hoped you could be. May you have a long and illustrious career. And who knows, you may even have another level you can rise to from here.
I still think he could be an a grade mid with the ability to hit the scoreboard. His body is bigger and more hardened. His tank is there now. He just knows how to find the footy and his kicking is an absolute weapon.

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I still think he could be an a grade mid with the ability to hit the scoreboard. His body is bigger and more hardened. His tank is there now. He just knows how to find the footy and his kicking is an absolute weapon.
Could he be the Clay Smith replacement that we are all wanting?

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
That was amazing from Bailey today, really shooting up towards elite status. One of our most dependable now

These guys play similar positions and roles.

Bailey is 6 months older than Mcgrath. He’s 9cm taller and a significantly better contested mark.

They average similar disposal numbers, but Bailey has a better disposal efficiency, and the real kicker, more that double the metres gained.

If you had no idea where these 2 were drafted, I’d be guessing Bailey was the number 1 pick and Mcgrath was the late round smokey.

I’m not knocking Mcgrath. He’s going to be a nice player. But Bailey Williams is going to be a star and id rather have him on the list than the former first pick in the draft.

Discuss.
One of the better OP's to appear on this board for a long time. Great call Fronk!

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who plays his role better than him in the comp right now? I love him sweeping through the backline just cleaning up everything. He takes intercept marks, he mans key forwards half the time, his disposal is elite (and penetrating) and he’s now got full confidence in his movement that I can’t remember the last time he was caught, or just phased at all really. He’s elite.

CDBulldog

All Australian
Mar 31, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He is a gun! That last play vs Eagles summed up how tough and reliable he now is. With him, Crozier, Durea, Wood our mid-size defender stocks are excellent.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who plays his role better than him in the comp right now? I love him sweeping through the backline just cleaning up everything. He takes intercept marks, he mans key forwards half the time, his disposal is elite (and penetrating) and he’s now got full confidence in his movement that I can’t remember the last time he was caught, or just phased at all really. He’s elite.
Jayden Short is his closest competition, although plays a little different given the size difference. I'm picking at least one of them to make AA this year

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Jayden Short is his closest competition, although plays a little different given the size difference. I'm picking at least one of them to make AA this year
Short was such a good find for them. Dude is just a competitor. Watch him literally always be the most intense dude on the field.

Heh was wondering when this would be bumped.

That 3 on 1

It's almost a shame that piece of play was so good - about 10 minutes earlier he saved us by taking the ball near the boundary line, conducting a half-blind turn then snapping the ball directly to Hunter. It was brilliant play and highlights how good his vision is. Because of that three on one, it's flown under the radar.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's almost a shame that piece of play was so good - about 10 minutes earlier he saved us by taking the ball near the boundary line, conducting a half-blind turn then snapping the ball directly to Hunter. It was brilliant play and highlights how good his vision is. Because of that three on one, it's flown under the radar.
The play you mentioned was almost better, I really dunno if he saw and pinpointed Hunter there or if it was a bit of a fluke, if he meant it it was unbelievable in the circumstances. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt 😆

I remember many people criticising his awareness when he first started out after he was caught HTB quite a few times. I’m glad he’s kept playing in the same way, but now he has even better awareness and improved his agility, more strength to break attempted tackles and is a bit quicker with decision making too

He took a few big marks as well to stop forward 50 entries. Had a huge last quarter.

Brad shepperd is excellent.

Hawthorn are absolutely stacked in this area too. Will day, Jiath, Sicily.

Vlastuin is probably the master in this space.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back