Toast Zak Butters appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Weren’t there rumours port were into Jones and McHencry as well?

Honestly I think with the way the crows train/play Butters/Duursma might not have picked up the game so quickly over there.

They both had clear roles in our side and Gray/Boak as mentors, while McHenry and Jones have like... Taylor Walker? The ruckman who believes in QAnon?

It must an awful memory hearing their names called out to be going to the crows
All clubs went to an orgy- one decided to have a wank in the bathroom.
gross.

Weren’t there rumours port were into Jones and McHencry as well?

Honestly I think with the way the crows train/play Butters/Duursma might not have picked up the game so quickly over there.

They both had clear roles in our side and Gray/Boak as mentors, while McHenry and Jones have like... Taylor Walker? The ruckman who believes in QAnon?

It must an awful memory hearing their names called out to be going to the crows
gross.
I think we now know that Port played games in this draft, and again in the 2019 draft with Georgiades.

Love it!

He really is the complete package. You see many good young players with one, two, or even three strengths that go on to be very good AFL footballers. But as highlighted here by some posters, Zac seems to have them all .... In spades!

As you say, even in his under-18 highlights you can clearly see what he is now doing game after game in the AFL. To have that split-second decision-making ability, vision, exquisite skills, ferocious ferret-like attack on the ball and ball carrier, along with such sweet execution ... [No words]

Robbie Gray ... you are a legend!

Seems like he really enjoys every moment of his footy also - like there's no other place he'd rather be or thing he'd rather be doing. Attitude and enthusiasm is often the x factor in elite sports that sets true champions apart from the rest, Zak seems to have a great attitude to match his ability and enthusiasm.

The Superdraft

Walsh
Lukosious
Rankine
M.King
Rozee
B.King
Smith
Thomas
Jones
Blakey
Caldwell
Butters
Quaynor
Hateley
Clark
McHenry
Sturt
Duursma

All clubs went to an orgy- one decided to have a wank in the bathroom.

Hey, that's not fair. GWS also drafted a spud. Jackson Hately.

It seems like he knows exactly where every player is within 20 meters as soon as he gets the ball. I love it when he puts on the burners and shoots out a stab pass. He doesn't miss. A skill that has all but disappeared in favour of the handpass in the modern era of the game.

Lol is that a thing?

That time Brisbane had a bit on their website where one player ‘interviews’ another player, and Rhys Mathieson delved into the knee-slapping topic of Sandy Hook truthing (ignore the preview, follow link to relevant post):

Some of the stuff he does in this U18 highlights package we have seen replicated in AFL.

Fair play to missionpossible . He messaged me after 1 week of his bottom age year when he was 16 and said keep a close eye on this kid, he's going to be spesh. Special he is!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zak is a fantastic player and looks like he will become a club great. But I don't think he will ever eliminate his moments of madness from every game he plays.

That turnover in the 3rd quarter Saturday was frustrating. Running into goal last year and tripping himself up etc.

Zak is a fantastic player and looks like he will become a club great. But I don't think he will ever eliminate his moments of madness from every game he plays.

That turnover in the 3rd quarter Saturday was frustrating. Running into goal last year and tripping himself up etc.
The pros don't just outweigh the cons, they obliterate them.

I forgive him for the that trip up running into goal last year, it was fatigue, with him going too fast with his legs unable to keep up, and he seemed to get out of sync. I was just so relieved that he didnt do any damage to his knee with the hypertension!

Looks a much stronger & fitter player in 2021

Also in today's Wurst Australian...

1617426318955.png

I won't reproduce the whole thing here, just some of the comments from one of his junior coaches at the Western Jets. Talking about the immediate impression Zak made in his debut game against the Dees in 2019:

One of the coaches in the stands at the MCG for game one was Tom Perrett, who has had more to do with Butters than most because he not only was an assistant at the Western Jets, he was also a teacher at Bacchus Marsh High School when Butters arrived there in grade seven.

He was this tiny little Energizer Bunny," Perrett said. "It is something he has always brought to his footy.

"He oozes positive energy and he just loves footy. Whether you were watching him play school football or just kicking a footy with his mates. When he runs out to play for Port Adelaide I don't see any difference in his actions. He is just so excited to be out there."

"He might be slightly built but he is braver and tougher than other kids I have coached," Perrett said.

"With some players you hope they turn up. This kid always turns up. Sometimes he might be batting out of his weight division but he will never shirk a contest, as was evidenced in that final against Geelong last year. That is what this kid does. He is special."

And there is the footy IQ.

"He tends to see the game two or three moves ahead of everyone else. His anticipation is incredible and he has got really quick hands. He will often receive and deliver the ball so quickly that it almost blindsides people. They aren't quick enough to realise he actually possessed it, Perrett said.

"He is a special talent and you couple that with his energy and this special love he has for the game, I don't think you could put a limit on a kid like that."

You've picked out quite literally the only two slightly dodgy things Butters has done to date in his AFL career. By comparison, at the same point in his career Patrick Dangerfield was worthy of an accompanying Looney Toons soundtrack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back