VFL 2021 Sandringham Zebras

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
This has been discussed before. Would love to have the opinions of people with more knowledge of our VFL set up.

My contention would be that when the club can afford it, the best thing we can do is have a stand alone reserves team in the VFL. Richmond have had it for a while. I know the Hawks have Box Hill, but they seem to run that tighter than we do with Sandringham. Just saw we got thrashed by Werribee in a practice game. Don’t know the ins and outs of it.

But it has to be beneficial to have the same structure, game style and consistency as the main team. Better for our development, which we all know has been lousy. The last time I saw Sandy play it looked like a pub team turning up for a Sunday social fixture. Maybe unfair, and maybe we are looking to do better with Sandy this year.

I know we have a lot of injuries at the moment, and would be using the games to get game time into some players. But it just seems a bit of a shambles.

Any opinions?

Darrian Barnett

Senior List
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
They keep talking about Joyce - this week it was "another standout performance". Do they really think he's going to make it? Any Sandy watchers have an opinion?

I feel like he was talked up really highly a couple years ago, * it would be handy to have a second key defender

Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
I feel like he was talked up really highly a couple years ago, fu** it would be handy to have a second key defender
Easy to forget he is only 24 and only played AFL for 5 years from a hurling background not a gaelic background.
Could well come good. Either way it is good to see him finding some form again. May provide some well needed depth

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
This has been discussed before. Would love to have the opinions of people with more knowledge of our VFL set up.

My contention would be that when the club can afford it, the best thing we can do is have a stand alone reserves team in the VFL. Richmond have had it for a while. I know the Hawks have Box Hill, but they seem to run that tighter than we do with Sandringham. Just saw we got thrashed by Werribee in a practice game. Don’t know the ins and outs of it.

But it has to be beneficial to have the same structure, game style and consistency as the main team. Better for our development, which we all know has been lousy. The last time I saw Sandy play it looked like a pub team turning up for a Sunday social fixture. Maybe unfair, and maybe we are looking to do better with Sandy this year.

I know we have a lot of injuries at the moment, and would be using the games to get game time into some players. But it just seems a bit of a shambles.

Any opinions?
The seconds are the saints but called sandy. There is no excuse like training different or things like that. The only thing we don’t do is pick the sandy players and that’s fair enough as they pay for those players.

They keep talking about Joyce - this week it was "another standout performance". Do they really think he's going to make it? Any Sandy watchers have an opinion?

What did you see as the poor areas of his game when he played AFL against Gold Coast?
He gave away a lot of free's but he was pretty well stitched up by the umpires in what was otherwise a good game. Think he's the same age as Clavarino.

Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
What did you see as the poor areas of his game when he played AFL against Gold Coast?
He gave away a lot of free's but he was pretty well stitched up by the umpires in what was otherwise a good game. Think he's the same age as Clavarino.
Looking back on fanfooty stats (not the most reliable source I know but they tell you matchups). GC he kept Wright to 1 mark and 2 goals.
It was the GWS game where Cameron had 11 marks and kicked 6 that might have sealed his fate i think. Although they were a handy team in 2019.
Was a late call up to PA in China when everyone was crook and we got pumped too.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

Honestly don’t remember him well enough, I just assumed based on his trajectory that we wouldn’t be seeing him again.

scotteydog

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Honestly don’t remember him well enough, I just assumed based on his trajectory that we wouldn’t be seeing him again.
[/QUving OTE]
My memory of Joyce, was him giving away lots of free kicks, think he actually had 13 in one game.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
My memory of Joyce, was him giving away lots of free kicks, think he actually had 13 in one game.
You memory is a bit hazy - it was 6 frees in the Suns game.

I wouldn't mind him getting a run at some stage - has some decent qualities including a great turn of speed and unlike someone like Logan Austin he actually does actually understand the concept of defence.

Back