Banter RDT 157 - Not allowed

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've seen James Acaster's Great British Bakeoff episode but that's where my knowledge of him ends.
He talks a lot about that in Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999 actually.

He has four specials on Netflix too which I also recommend

Anyone reading any good books lately?

I'm reading The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clarke, about the build up to WWI. Great but hard to read a lot at once.

And just started the Witcher series. I've played the games and seen the TV show so I thought I'd give the books a crack too.

Sounds interesting, I find WWI fascinating because as I'm sure the title alludes to, it just started and no-one could stop, sleepwalking towards it.

I've also recently gotten back into reading after years, so have been getting through some books I've missed out on and would love suggestions. Some of mine:

Fiction:
Sally Rooney - Conversations with Friends/Normal People are both fantastic books, probably the first great millennial author I've read.
Cherry - Nico Walker - Really good autofiction, brutal and funny at the same time, there's a movie out now too, haven't heard great things but the book slays.
Priestdaddy - Patricia Lockwood - Just finishing it up now, a genuinely funny memoir, cracking characters, highly recommend.
Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel - Scifi book, post apocalyptic fiction if that's your jam and a pandemic as well. Keen to read her newer book too, The Glass Hotel.
The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Richard Flanagan - Good book, but it screams capital L literature - Australian Author - really enjoyed his evocative descriptions of Aussie rules. Jumps through a man's life and centres on the POWs in Burma during WWII.

Non-Fiction:

The Price of Peace - Zachary Carter - A Keynes biography that's super interesting and great at distilling complex issues and very relevant to the world we live in today.

And I've just started The Jakarta Method - Vincent Bevins - which is a really well researched polemic about how the CIA essentially supported the genocide in Indonesia and how they then used that successful communist suppression method in other regimes. Very interesting and pretty grim so far.

Decided to spend my long weekend not getting on the piss for a change and will instead watch a movie that I have heard is good but never seen each night.

Tonight was Knives Out. Brilliant.

Taking any and all suggestions for the next 3 nights too.

Um, how have you not heard of Knives Out?

Daniel Craig and Ana De Amas.

I'm gonna go to old faithful for the young generation - No Country for Old Men?

Um, how have you not heard of Knives Out?

Daniel Craig and Ana De Amas.

I'm gonna go to old faithful for the young generation - No Country for Old Men?
Think you may have misread my post, "movie that I have heard is good but never seen". Definitely heard of it.

Seen and loved No Country for Old Men, although not for a while so it could be due for a rewatch.

Decided to spend my long weekend not getting on the piss for a change and will instead watch a movie that I have heard is good but never seen each night.

I'm too indecisive to watch movies but I saw one two months back called under the silver lake. Pretty decent movie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atomic Blonde is super fun.

I think it's a pretty underrated action flick. Super stylish, banging 80s sound track against a cold war milieu, good twists and turns and from one of the John Wick guys, so great fight choreography etc.

Atomic Blonde is super fun.

I think it's a pretty underrated action flick. Super stylish, banging 80s sound track against a cold war milieu, good twists and turns and from one of the John Wick guys, so great fight choreography etc.
Did a uni assignment on that flick so I've definitely seen it enough times, real fun to watch though.

Think you may have misread my post, "movie that I have heard is good but never seen". Definitely heard of it.

Seen and loved No Country for Old Men, although not for a while so it could be due for a rewatch.

Yep fair soz

Anyone reading any good books lately?

I'm reading The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clarke, about the build up to WWI. Great but hard to read a lot at once.

And just started the Witcher series. I've played the games and seen the TV show so I thought I'd give the books a crack too.
Don't call me Ishmael_

Book of Eli is worth a watch if you enjoyed No Country for Old Men

Well folks, we've just rolled through the 12 week pregnancy mark, there's another little Eagles supporter on the way! Been another battle but we got there.

I am a bowl of excitement and anxiety all mixed into one :drunk:
Congrats mate.

In grimmer news the Misso will work out how it is happening soon and put a stop to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back