Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:

Wagee

Debutant
Apr 26, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just want to know what kind of a sane coach has these 3 in Brown, WHE and Thomas, playing in the forward line, I would love to know what these 3 combine for average goals for this year and 2020, see yaaa bucks with no eddy theirs no possible way you see the year out adios buddy....

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Mate you’re just trying to be tough. You wouldn’t have the guts to say any of this crap to his face. You don’t think he should coach next year, fair enough, he’s had ten years. There is no justification for the disrespect you show towards him. That is trash.

Ha ha yeah I would and you got another sample of his genius tonight. Some blokes just aint winners, he is surrounded by them.

lethalburns

All Australian
Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think it says more about our depth than it does about the selection committee.

We only have 1 player injured who is genuinely best 22.

The next couple of years will be telling depending on how well this years draft crop develops and how well we do during free agency.

chop_me

Club Legend
May 8, 2007
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Collingwood
At the moment, the hitout wins are nothing but a stat.

The lack of impact shows that our midfield setup around stoppages is wrong. Clearly, Grundy is being instructed to do something at the taps which ain’t working.

Who is in charge of coaching the ruck/midfield set-up?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Mostfamousclub_Pies

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
At the moment, the hitout wins are nothing but a stat.

The lack of impact shows that our midfield setup around stoppages is wrong. Clearly, Grundy is being instructed to do something at the taps which ain’t working.

Who is in charge of coaching the ruck/midfield set-up?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Spot on, decisive taps to a contest directly beside his feet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Why is Daicos not getting a run in the middle. He is quick to react, bursts from packs and hits targets by hand and foot. Yeah he kicked some nice goals but its a cameo role. Sidebottom is really struggling, play him in the pocket and role Daics in to the middle or at least the wing.

Buckely is so damn negative in his set ups, the players have had instinct coached out of them. Mayne on a wing over Daicos??

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why is Daicos not getting a run in the middle. He is quick to react, bursts from packs and hits targets by hand and foot. Yeah he kicked some nice goals but its a cameo role. Sidebottom is really struggling, play him in the pocket and role Daics in to the middle or at least the wing.

Buckely is so damn negative in his set ups, the players have had instinct coached out of them. Mayne on a wing over Daicos??

Probably because Daicos can kick goals. Our forward line is in a rebuild... maybe Daicos can be part of that with Elliott out injured.

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Probably because Daicos can kick goals. Our forward line is in a rebuild... maybe Daicos can be part of that with Elliott out injured.

He has had 10 years to find and develop some small forwards. So we take away our best young mid type to plug a hole? You win the game in the midfield.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool

Because Bucks loves to bury our talent by playing them out of position. Kills me!

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
He has had 10 years to find and develop some small forwards. So we take away our best young mid type to plug a hole? You win the game in the midfield.

Just trying to answer your question. With the list we currently have and being in somewhat of a state of transition and lack or experienced depth, Daicos being played forward is definitely an option. Not convinced either way where his best position will be long term.. Hes a gun either way and I'm not fussed where he plays. Will be interesting to see where he lands in six months or a year once some of our new recruits have pushed their way into the side.

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Just trying to answer your question. With the list we currently have and being in somewhat of a state of transition and lack or experienced depth, Daicos being played forward is definitely an option. Not convinced either way where his best position will be long term.. Hes a gun either way and I'm not fussed where he plays. Will be interesting to see where he lands in six months or a year once some of our new recruits have pushed their way into the side.

Pendles, Sidey, are near the end, i'd be more focussed on midfield replacements than band aids but I guess he is coaching for his job so stop gaps might be the way he goes. He has chosen to go with Blair and Thomas as his small defensive forward, made no effort to target or develop one that can actually do the job.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pendles, Sidey, are near the end, i'd be more focussed on midfield replacements than band aids but I guess he is coaching for his job so stop gaps might be the way he goes. He has chosen to go with Blair and Thomas as his small defensive forward, made no effort to target or develop one that can actually do the job.

I will wait and see how our next crop of players develop before making a call that our midfield is washed up because two players are over 30. This needs to be a priority but by the same token it cant be rushed too quickly.

Daicos can definitely be part of that future midfield. Or maybe hes part of our future forward line. Time will tell and I dont really care where he ends up.

Not sure playing Daicos forward instead of in the middle is evidence of band-aids one way or the other.

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I will wait and see how our next crop of players develop before making a call that our midfield is washed up because two players are over 30. This needs to be a priority but by the same token it cant be rushed too quickly.

Daicos can definitely be part of that future midfield. Or maybe hes part of our future forward line. Time will tell and I dont really care where he ends up.

Not sure playing Daicos forward instead of in the middle is evidence of band-aids one way or the other.

The reaction time of our centre bounce mids is poor, the are all flat footed, Daicos is not. if you win the clearance with the 6 6 6 set up your chance to convert is a lot higher. We do have a 7ft forward waiting for it and Goo one out is not a bad thing. I read somewhere that we lost the center clearances? How?

Mids can be developed a lot quicker than talls so that's a small positive.

Collingwood2022

Senior List
Mar 25, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Nathan's coaching career has been conflicted from the very beginning which means for most of his tenure he has had little or no free air. You can't blame a man for wanting to coach the club that they played for with the carrot of winning that elusive flag. That's very compelling. You also can't blame a bloke for staying in a well paid role should those above him allow him to say on. Anyone would.

So can he coach? Yes I think he can coach but that's nor really the question is it? The question that should be asked - is he consistently a top quartile AFL coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back