Review Round 3, 2021 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree with what Buckley said in his presser last night and have for a long time ie. Hit outs is an irrelevant stat. Also hit outs to advantage not much better.

Hit outs 54-4, hit outs to advantage 21-1 :eek: unless the hit to advantage is to a player in the clear running away(which happened 2-3 times last night) they don't correlate to an advantage either, the opposition mids cover him and he is swamped in a tackle or a turnover is forced.

Time to ditch the hit out stat.
Our game plan is very much stoppage focused. Having a ruck that can dictate terms from throw ins and ball ups is crucial. Grundy was clearly BoG last night. He dominated the ruck and dominated the play, monstered all of our other players when the ball was near by. If we had Grundy, we win by 4 goals easy.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Epic from Bailey! Poetic justice at it's finest! McClugagge was massive in that last quarter and great composure from Starcevich and then Rich with their short passes at the death instead of blazing away in the heat of the contest. Stoked to be 1-2 as opposed to 0-3. I also thought Adams really stepped up in the last quarter!

Feel like for the first time McCluggage just said to himself I want to win this, and I can influence that. He’s always been a good player, just felt he found some hard desire to win tonight. If it stays with him he will go to the next level and stay there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Our game plan is very much stoppage focused. Having a ruck that can dictate terms from throw ins and ball ups is crucial. Grundy was clearly BoG last night. He dominated the ruck and dominated the play, monstered all of our other players when the ball was near by. If we had Grundy, we win by 4 goals easy.
Grundy was fantastic around the ground and is an extra midfielder... his massacre of Fullarton in the ball ups/throw ins didn't translate to an overall domination by their team though, that is why I agree with Buckley, hit out wins irrelevant and to advantage are fine but can be covered quite easily if your set up at stoppages is adequate, which it wasn't a couple of times last night.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes.....Vic Lions supporters have suffered through some pretty ordinary performances over the years at Marvel

The Lions "voice" in the crowd tonight matched it with the Pies mob for the whole match.

It's really inspirational and comforting hearing that passionate support for our Lions sitting on my lounge chair in Brisbane
They are also OUR Lions.

Felt like the "Stand" to "Play-on" had few more tweaks last night. Umpires were calling play-on even if there was a tiny off the line movement from ball carrier. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the games pan out this round.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He may be a bit young for an implant as the jaws are still growing relatively quickly at his age.

Patients lose their dentures all the time!!!

Watched the last quarter last night and am in the third quarter at 8.45 this morning.

Who has watched the replay already?

Go Lions
I’m onto replay no 3. Much less stressful watching the replay!!!

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Felt like the "Stand" to "Play-on" had few more tweaks last night. Umpires were calling play-on even if there was a tiny off the line movement from ball carrier. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the games pan out this round.

Umps normally would get a lot of help by the man on the mark calling the play on

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Also is it just me or is Darcy Moore the most overrated player in the league by some margin? Very flashy defender but has had 7 goals kicked on him in 2 weeks, yet the media crap on about him every week. Don't tell me that would happen if he played outside Vitcoria.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Also is it just me or is Darcy Moore the most overrated player in the league by some margin? Very flashy defender but has had 7 goals kicked on him in 2 weeks, yet the media crap on about him every week. Don't tell me that would happen if he played outside Vitcoria.

He’s very talented but unaccountable. Dustin Fletcheresque.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Devon Robertson immense for his 2nd game . Got better we game went on and looked fierce for the contest . How many more years do we have to pay CEY ?
The other thing that was noticeable was his spread to provide an option, tackling was also strong, very impressive 2nd game.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Interesting from a betting perspective apparently in the live trading we were not favourite to win the game once, at all, until after the siren, apparently that has never happened to a winning team before.

The other thing that was noticeable was his spread to provide an option, tackling was also strong, very impressive 2nd game.

Yep tackling stood out for me too. He even laid one or two on Grundy in 3rd or 4th quarter. Kid has amazing strength.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I also thought Ballenden was better than Fullarton in the actual ruck contests and didn't play his role too badly. He's got a long way to go but not totally giving up on him. Fullarton could develop into a very versatile player for us. Presently gets a bit fumbly and rushes his kicking but generally finds a target with his hands. Has sufficient pace for someone his size. Last night was a good learning curve for both those guys.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
The most important aspect of this win is that we had every excuse to not win - deflated after being robbed of a win last week, unable to return home, uncertainty about where the game would even be played, missing the full squad, injuries to important players. We could have ended up with an honourable loss in the circumstances.

The fact we fought it out and won after the siren will go a long way to forging belief which in turn breeds confidence. The confidence to know that you are never out of games is something that strong teams have.

For a few of the younger guys it will also mean that they now know they can handle the pressure of those close games.

Impressed with:

McCluggage - back close to his best and stood up in big moments. He played like he wanted the ball in his hands late in the game.

Rich - vastly underrated in the competition.

Fullarton - worth the perseverance. He just needs to compete in the ruck even if soundly beaten and work as an extra midfielder and he will adapt to his role. A long way to go but he has the mobility and skills to be a modern versatile roving ruck.

Robertson - a lot to like from a limited amount of evidence at this level. He needs to get games now.

Bailey - he seems to be edging closer to being an A grader. Not there yet but he is a player who makes an impact.

TBerry - given more game time I think he could really be a surprise packet. A year or two off his best yet but I think but he is a natural competitor and seems to have excellent instincts. He might have the potential to be better than his brother. Or they could just both be great.

Lester - still too slow and has flaws but still so valuable because he has experience and genuine situational awareness rather than athletic ability. At some point he will be overtaken by a younger, faster player but in the meantime he is versatile, tough and clever. He defused three or four Collingwood plays at critical moments by just doing basic things well. Against athletically better players he has a way of bringing them to his level to at least break even. It takes a smart football brain to do that. Added to that he is clearly one of those players who his teammates have great respect for.

Adams - for the first time I think there are signs of promise that he might play an important role rather than an occasional cameo. If we can just keep him on the park.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Watching some of the replay I thought Ballenden used his body a lot better in the ruck. Fullarton has talent but his natural instinct is clearly to avoid body contact. I’d be tempted to give Ballenden a few games in the second ruck position at Fullartons expense until McStay is back.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Feel like for the first time McCluggage just said to himself I want to win this, and I can influence that. He’s always been a good player, just felt he found some hard desire to win tonight. If it stays with him he will go to the next level and stay there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Legitimatly took the game by the scruff of the neck when chips were down. Could not find a player with a bigger ticker. Ok maybe there is some equal tickers. But no bags no win.

Back