Mega Thread The Official Bigfooty NBA Week 15 thread. Drummond a Laker - A New Hope

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

And if Luka wins the title this year he overtakes him which will leave Jordan like....

View attachment 1091510
Very cliche youngster. Keep trying. Luka can play, let his career play out before calling him better than the 6 time champ, 6 time finals MVP, 5 times League MVP... I feel silly even trying to list his accomplishments youngster.

why are the suns so good now Look2Me4Guidance

In my humble opinion, it's down to a few things.

1. They out execute teams. They play a slow, deliberate pace, and don't gamble defensively. They're not winning games by having extra possessions off turnovers or offensive rebounds, they do it by shooting a high percentage in all facets and keeping turnovers to a minimum, AKA the Chris Paul effect. Sometimes teams that do this have a heavy degree of iso play or ball dominant guards - think Portland - but Phoenix is second in the league in assists per game, and nearly dead last in free throw attempts, so they're clearly working to find open shots.

2. Their defence built around Paul/Bridges/Crowder/Ayton is underrated. Fairly mobile and switchable, and as stated they don't gamble. They also do a good job of denying the three point shot, second best in the league in both threes allowed and 3pt% allowed, something the Knicks have also done this season incidentally.

3. They've somehow put together a bench of misfit toys and made it work. Saric has been really good for them, but guys like Payne, Kaminsky and Abel Nader consistently producing is an unexpected bonus. This would be my biggest worry for them in terms of sustainability in the playoffs, but for now they're making it work.

Look2Me4Guidance could probably fill you in better on the intricacies though.

why are the suns so good now Look2Me4Guidance
In my humble opinion, it's down to a few things.

1. They out execute teams. They play a slow, deliberate pace, and don't gamble defensively. They're not winning games by having extra possessions off turnovers or offensive rebounds, they do it by shooting a high percentage in all facets and keeping turnovers to a minimum, AKA the Chris Paul effect. Sometimes teams that do this have a heavy degree of iso play or ball dominant guards - think Portland - but Phoenix is second in the league in assists per game, and nearly dead last in free throw attempts, so they're clearly working to find open shots.

2. Their defence built around Paul/Bridges/Crowder/Ayton is underrated. Fairly mobile and switchable, and as stated they don't gamble. They also do a good job of denying the three point shot, second best in the league in both threes allowed and 3pt% allowed, something the Knicks have also done this season incidentally.

3. They've somehow put together a bench of misfit toys and made it work. Saric has been really good for them, but guys like Payne, Kaminsky and Abel Nader consistently producing is an unexpected bonus. This would be my biggest worry for them in terms of sustainability in the playoffs, but for now they're making it work.

Look2Me4Guidance could probably fill you in better on the intricacies though.

The short answer is the defensive end. Like all good teams, when the shots aren’t falling, you can hang around with good defence. We’ve had better individual defenders along the journey in Marion, Bell, etc, but collectively this team is the best across the board since I’ve been following them and that’s a long time.

Of course the improvement on defence is linked to other things. We’re close to last in pace, which allows us to get back and get set early. Very anti-Phoenix. Despite what some Suns fans will tell you Ayton has been huge on the defensive end in terms of switching and rebounding and and contesting. He’s still learning but even in a quiet game yesterday, he made some big plays at both ends down the stretch. Having go go gadget arms like Bridges also helps as even if he gets beat on the perimeter, his length allows him to recover.

James Jones has also been a massive factor. Every move he’s made has been a winner. He‘s prioritised bringing in good character guys and has really stockpiled a good collection of wings which I think is essential in the modern game. Even the recent addition of Torrey Craig who was getting no time in Milwaukee has come in and contributed. Any given night we can have a player chip in 15 off the bench, be it Saric, Payne, Nader or even Galloway. We’re a pretty deep team, so it will be interesting to see if that shortens up come playoffs, you think it would.

I also think Monty has made big strides as coach. He drew up a beautiful ATO play in the clutch against the Hawks which resulted in a Bridges dunk after an inbounds pass.

Finally, they stick with their strengths. We have two elite mid range players in Booker and Paul and that’s where they take the most of their shots. Booker had 45 last night on 24 shots with only 5 3 point attempts.

My main concern in the playoffs will be teams who switch onto Ayton up high, because our rebounding can be vulnerable if he’s not in the paint to contribute. We may see a bit more Saric and Ayton together during these times.

The schedule gets harder from here, but they’ve shown they’re more than capable of grinding out wins and “winning ugly”. It’s a good sign. For now, I’m just enjoying them playing well and improving.
We’ve certainly come a long way as a unit from the days when the Morri would scream at the coach.

Aldridge starting. Jordan benched.

Interesting to see how BG. Claxton Green minutes go.

Green might play the 3 eventually?

Rivers still a free agent , bucks rumored. Might be a good fit for brooklyn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zion, Ingram, Lonzo, Hart out for Pels. Trae, Collins and Gallinari may be out for Hawks.

Steph not playing for the Dubs. Half the league seems to be in pre-season mode.

Official edict from peternorth is that the next person to mention how cursed the Lakers are gets poked in the eye.

Donovan Mitchell is ready to travel with the Utah Jazz again following their emergency landing this week. Utah's plane collided with a flock of birds shortly after takeoff, causing an engine fire.

Warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back