Discussion Random Discussion (No Politics, Religion) - SHOW CHIN PASSPORT ON ENTRY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered my new limousine. Lets see if i can do 40km a day.

I've had an electric mountain bike for nearly two years and I ride it to work, on average, a couple of times a week. It's a 24 km round trip. Takes me about 8 minutes longer than driving the car. Best thing is I don't sweat, so no need to have a shower when I get to work.

A lot of people tweak the speed limiters on the electric bikes, so a top speed of 40km+ is possible....not that I'm advocating that, but it certainly makes the ride more entertaining.
I've done quite a few 80km rides on the Eastlink trail and it makes the uphill sections a dream.
Enjoy!

I've had an electric mountain bike for nearly two years and I ride it to work, on average, a couple of times a week. It's a 24 km round trip. Takes me about 8 minutes longer than driving the car. Best thing is I don't sweat, so no need to have a shower when I get to work.

A lot of people tweak the speed limiters on the electric bikes, so a top speed of 40km+ is possible....not that I'm advocating that, but it certainly makes the ride more entertaining.
I've done quite a few 80km rides on the Eastlink trail and it makes the uphill sections a dream.
Enjoy!

That's what sold me on the idea.
I've never been lazy but always found trouble getting time to exercise.
When i lost my license, it was looking like an hour an a half to work, and two hours home on public transport.
Then i found out that by using trails, a bike might take as little as an hour, when the car took 40minutes ( on a good day ).
So i thought spending the money on an e-bike might be a good long term way of having a less stressful way of getting to work long term.

I can't buy into the lists of best E-bikes on the market. Logic tells me there is a ridiculous lot more than three times the content in a cheap car that retails for less than $20 000 than there is in any Bike.
Hopefully the one i've chosen won't have any problems , but will have some backup and service if it does.

That's what sold me on the idea.
I've never been lazy but always found trouble getting time to exercise.
When i lost my license, it was looking like an hour an a half to work, and two hours home on public transport.
Then i found out that by using trails, a bike might take as little as an hour, when the car took 40minutes ( on a good day ).
So i thought spending the money on an e-bike might be a good long term way of having a less stressful way of getting to work long term.

I can't buy into the lists of best E-bikes on the market. Logic tells me there is a ridiculous lot more than three times the content in a cheap car that retails for less than $20 000 than there is in any Bike.
Hopefully the one i've chosen won't have any problems , but will have some backup and service if it does.
I spent about $4000 on my mountain bike but I wanted something I could also ride on mountain bike tracks. Looks like you have bought a decent entry model for your daily commute. Because it makes it so easy to get around, once you've got it you might find that you use it for other things.
I also use my Ebike for going to gym, picking up a few items at the shops and visiting friends.
Hope the commute goes well for you and you get many years of enjoyment from the bike.
BTW. A saints scarf is a must when you are riding in winter

I spent about $4000 on my mountain bike but I wanted something I could also ride on mountain bike tracks. Looks like you have bought a decent entry model for your daily commute. Because it makes it so easy to get around, once you've got it you might find that you use it for other things.
I also use my Ebike for going to gym, picking up a few items at the shops and visiting friends.
Hope the commute goes well for you and you get many years of enjoyment from the bike.
BTW. A saints scarf is a must when you are riding in winter

yeah i liked the idea of mountain bikes ( almost like ski-ing with a ski-lift ) but i realized you needed the money into that for it to work right.
You need mid mount motor, and then you need the drive train beefed up to deal with it.
Couldn't afford it now and chose the commuter over a cheap ( and probably nasty ) mountain bike .

Nice - 250w - at least it will keep you a bit fit because you will be still peddling up hills.

This might be a dumb question, but see with e-bikes, how much exercise are you doing vs cycling a normal pusher?

Obviously you need to still do some pedalling but would you expect to burn half the calories? Less?

Is it more of a rival to say an electric scooter (or a tool for commuting more than fitness) or it’s a genuine rival of a road/mountain/hybrid bike?

I just got a Scott hybrid but it’s more for fitness and just getting out and about than anything else.

After COVID my daily commute has pretty much gone.

Last edited:
This might be a dumb question, but see with e-bikes, how much exercise are you doing whilst cycling a normal pusher?

Obviously you need to still do some pedalling but would you expect to burn half the calories? Less?

Is it more of a rival to say an electric scooter or it’s a genuine rival of say a road/mountain/hybrid bike?

I just got a Scott Hybrid but it’s more for fitness and just getting out and about than anything else.

After COVID the daily commute has pretty much gone.

This video gives quite a good explanation

My Ebike has 5 levels of assistance and it does not have a throttle, so I have to pedal for it to move.
If I use it for the work commute, I use it on level 3. Gives me some exercise but I don't arrive at work all sweaty.
If I use it for exercise, I will ride it on level 1 which is the minimum assistance available. This level also gives me 80-90 kms of riding before the battery runs out.
I can cover the distances quicker and the hills are much easier on the ebike. Based on my experience riding the ebike on level 1 is about 30% easier than riding my conventional mountain bike.

This video gives quite a good explanation

My Ebike has 5 levels of assistance and it does not have a throttle, so I have to pedal for it to move.
If I use it for the work commute, I use it on level 3. Gives me some exercise but I don't arrive at work all sweaty.
If I use it for exercise, I will ride it on level 1 which is the minimum assistance available. This level also gives me 80-90 kms of riding before the battery runs out.
I can cover the distances quicker and the hills are much easier on the ebike. Based on my experience riding the ebike on level 1 is about 30% easier than riding my conventional mountain bike.

Thanks mate - this explains a lot!

I’ll seriously look at one if I end up back in the city every day again.

I am a sweaty mess when I get to work if I cycle so this sounds like a great option.

Level 5 on the way there and level 1 on the way home.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Economics - not politics.

Would result in an amazing revolution of the "global" economy if this can be achieved

Perhaps Joe is not that sleepy after all.

We've got an electric bike that we ride the kids around in, have done 11000km in about three years, very few issues with it. Cost us $6k and 1000% worth it.

Economics - not politics.

Would result in an amazing revolution of the "global" economy if this can be achieved

Perhaps Joe is not that sleepy after all.

Great idea, less than zero chance of it happening. It's too late, there's too much power on the corporate side, whether it's multinational corporations or big four accounting firms or billionaires.

Great idea, less than zero chance of it happening. It's too late, there's too much power on the corporate side, whether it's multinational corporations or big four accounting firms or billionaires.

They broke up the British East India Company back in the day. They had their own standing armies and more power than the crown of the day. You can do it it's just hard to lever politicians off their ****.

Nice - 250w - at least it will keep you a bit fit because you will be still peddling up hills.

Bigger than 250w requires a license. ( and is illegal off the road ). Imagine hurting a pedestrian on a shared bike path, then the media find out you are a hoon with a 500w motor.
It also is activated by the pedals , so if you stop peddling or touch the brakes, the power assistance stops. It also progressively removes the assistance between 20 and 25km an hour so there is no assistance above 25.

I went for a 20km/h jaunt yesterday, and it seems to do the job. Generally i'm at least 3 gears higher than i would be without the assistance ( its an 8 speed on the rear wheel ). On the flat it cruises along in 7th without too much work ( around 20km /h ).
Interestingly if there is no risk of flattening the battery you can get there quicker choosing a hilly path over a flat one.
You push up the hills at 15-20 km/h and then turn off the assistance and ride down the other side at 40 or so.

I started watching Vikings because of you guys, I just looked up the actor Travis Fimmel because Trigs said he was an ex Saints player, he surely was and one of those small world things, I know they guy who owns the modelling agency that discovered him. He did pretty well for himself, looks like he did much better out of acting than he would have from footy.

I started watching Vikings because of you guys, I just looked up the actor Travis Fimmel because Trigs said he was an ex Saints player, he surely was and one of those small world things, I know they guy who owns the modelling agency that discovered him. He did pretty well for himself, looks like he did much better out of acting than he would have from footy.
Where you up to in Vikings

Interesting discussion about bikes ... so, what do others on here use to get their legs going ?

I’m not into e-bikes, but have pushed some 2,500km incl. some 41,000m climbing so far this year on my Trek Domane SL6 (road) / Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29 (mountain) / Wahoo Kickr Bike (stationary), still optimistic to reach my 10k / 150k target for 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back