Recommitted Shai Bolton [Re-signed to 2023]

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Hypothetically speaking if Freo offered their first round pick for Bolton (likely to be in the top 5), if I am Richmond I would take that deal and run.

Gives you an fantastic opportunity to replenish your midfield/extend your flag window for a few more years whilst Dusty is still is in his prime (Cotchin does look like be is winding down.

Plus you have Maurice Rioli Jnr waiting in the wings.
I am not sure if Bolton has not reached his ceiling 1.already, and as I say, Richmond should try cash in, from a pragmatic list management and flag window opportunity perspective.

Yep, always go for the mystery box, I mean Bolton is a Shai Bolton but the mystery box could be anything it could even be a Bolton.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yep, always go for the mystery box, I mean Bolton is a Shai Bolton but the mystery box could be anything it could even be a Bolton.

But what if Bolton wants to leave/go back home (for example) ?

Of course it's understandable Richmond would prefer to keep him, just want to get a gauge on his trade price on an open market if he wanted to go, it's not rocket science.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I imagine this bloke would be very high up on richmond's list of guys they need to resign. Don't think he leaves, his style of play seems to be perfectly suited to Richmond football. Though he could probably be very good at any team.

Can just about do it all really. Chase, tackle, pressure, take big marks, win contests, win clearances, use the ball well, use the ball creatively, kick goals, play multiple positions.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
I should clarify that comment with regards to being worth more on an open trade market than a top 5 pick.

Obviously he is worth more to Richmond fans than that, but hypothetically speaking, if he chose to leave Richmond, accept an offer elsewhere (which I do not believe will happen) what would most RFC (and neutral) fans believe to be fair and adequate compo for Bolton ?

Depends on the club. I like to look at precedent when looking at trade value.

Not many early 20s players are traded, the three closest are Charlie Cameron, Lever and Weller that I can think of.

Weller is probably not a great guide so we can ignore that one.

Charlie was straight pick 12, Shai is younger and can play midfield so more then that.

Lever was pick 10 and a future first (think it ended up as 15) with some thirds going back. Lever has the KPP bonus.

Top 5 pick would be fair with some later pick swaps. If it’s a team from 5-10 then maybe a sweetener like a 2nd rounder or pick swaps. 10+ then it should include a future first.

None of these I’d be thrilled with, as I’d much rather Shai, but that’s where I could see the market for him.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Hypothetically speaking if Freo offered their first round pick for Bolton (likely to be in the top 5), if I am Richmond I would take that deal and run.

Gives you an fantastic opportunity to replenish your midfield/extend your flag window for a few more years whilst Dusty is still is in his prime (Cotchin does look like be is winding down.

I am not sure if Bolton has not reached his ceiling 1.already, and as I say, Richmond should try cash in, from a pragmatic list management and flag window opportunity perspective.

I understand your point, but we are currently in a flag window. Why would be take a top 5 pick who might not contribute to that flag window the replinsh, when we have a 22 year old who is one of our best players. It's not like you're swapping a 28 yr old for a 18 yr old.

I don't think West Coast would have the coin or trade assets to get Bolton. I do think Freo are primed and he would be a good fit to Brayshaw/Cerra. Makes a really good three mids to go forward with over the next decade. Add Serong to that list. I think they have the cash and the go home factor, but I hope he stays. If he was a pick four for example I would just say he is performing as a good top 5 pick should.

I would myself

If he isnt signing a 5 year deal, he has the worst agent in the comp

He'll most likely sign a deal that will take him through to RFA. Then his price will be higher and he'll have more bargaining power. That will be when the 5 year deal is in play.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Assume you re-sign Bolton, I fail to see how you can afford to trade for some like Dunkley or another A Grader, as speculated elsewhere.

I assume you will let go of McIntosh and a few other uncontracted players, but unless you trade out maybe a couple of Caddy types (whom I would gladly have at Carlton), I don't see how The Tiges can be players in the Free Agency or our of contract star market.

Not your fault btw, the system is set up to bring successful clubs like you down eventually IE Hawthorn.

As others have said, rival club's will come knocking with financial offers Richmond cannot match under the cap, although there is the coterie member/sponsors loophole the AFL for some reason still allows IE Dylan Shiel and his property estate deal with an EFC coterie sponsor.

He will get well locked after post footy if he stays at Richmond I dare say.

Not sure if you have seen the Hardwick interview or not regarding the game against the swans but he also gets asked about the Vlastuin resigning nd his comments as along the lines of Players take significantly less to play at Richmond and play with a successful team and we make it up a bit by giving them longer contracts for their security (or words to that effect)

Currently Richmond have 2 players that are being paid big dollars ( Lynch $950 / Dusty $1.2 mi) the rest of the pay structure is pretty reasonable with players like Riewoldt/Astbury/Grimes/Cotchin/Edwards/Lambert taking significant cuts in recent years and will most likely play on even less going foward

The Rance / Ellis money coming off our Salary cap when they left really enabled Richmond to spread the love
I genuinely believe we would have room for a player in the $700k-$800k range from 2022 onwards with Prestia / Caddy contracts ending from the original 'Come Over' range

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I would myself

If he isnt signing a 5 year deal, he has the worst agent in the comp
1617270387407.png

This man with the rug

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
My guess is he signs 2 year deals until he reaches free agency then looks for a 6-7 year deal
which makes the most amount of sense as he will most certainly be a better player in 2 years time than he is now.

When i first watched him play at VFL level my first thoughts comparison wise was Michael Walters type and .
my views have not changed but Shai is tracking well ahead of walters at the same age

Why would we trade him for what will likely be a lesser player who most likely won’t be in our best 22 straight away?

If Bolton asked to be traded to freo then we probably do ask for a top 5 pick or equivalent player aka cerra

Both sides would probably feel ripped off though

Shai gives our midfield group a pod has pace and evasiveness meatball/graham run all day but they ain’t sidestepping or winning footraces

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
Why would we trade him for what will likely be a lesser player who most likely won’t be in our best 22 straight away?

Only if we were targeting an outstanding young KPF to replace Riewoldt and who wouldn't last beyond the top 5. Not saying I'm for it but I could imagine both sides spinning it as a win if it happened.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Whilst i do love Shai Bolton and would absolutely hate to see him leave. But if he was to ask for a trade to fremantle and freo looking like a bottom 6 team this year would not be the worst year to lose him for a top 5/6 draft pick and get infront of Weagles/fremantle.

The best KPF is looking like being Jacob Van Rooyen and that would be a reasonable trade ( not perfect but i could live with that with jack coming to the end)

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
If Bolton asked to be traded to freo then we probably do ask for a top 5 pick or equivalent player aka cerra

Both sides would probably feel ripped off though

Shai gives our midfield group a pod has pace and evasiveness meatball/graham run all day but they ain’t sidestepping or winning footraces
I'm not trading Bolton for any pick in the draft lottery it would have to be a player.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I would happily put a 10 year $ 7 million deal in front of him right now
I reckon it'll be 3 years. His management will be happy with an increase but he'll encourage Bolton not to sign for too long hoping he becomes a star by 25 and can then get the big bucks on the 5 year deal from there.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
I'm not trading Bolton for any pick in the draft lottery it would have to be a player.
It is not that easy though, you would have to find a player willing to go and one that you also want.

Freo could hold firm and just offer picks and they would hold all the leverage.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Not sure if you have seen the Hardwick interview or not regarding the game against the swans but he also gets asked about the Vlastuin resigning nd his comments as along the lines of Players take significantly less to play at Richmond and play with a successful team and we make it up a bit by giving them longer contracts for their security (or words to that effect)

Currently Richmond have 2 players that are being paid big dollars ( Lynch $950 / Dusty $1.2 mi) the rest of the pay structure is pretty reasonable with players like Riewoldt/Astbury/Grimes/Cotchin/Edwards/Lambert taking significant cuts in recent years and will most likely play on even less going foward

The Rance / Ellis money coming off our Salary cap when they left really enabled Richmond to spread the love
I genuinely believe we would have room for a player in the $700k-$800k range from 2022 onwards with Prestia / Caddy contracts ending from the original 'Come Over' range
That is over 2 mil on 2 players though, that is a huge percentage of the cap on just two players. I have no doubt those other players could get more elsewhere but they would still be on a healthy wage.

Back