Rumour The North Ultimatum

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok let me get this right.the AFL continue to fund lost causes that are the Gold Coast and GWS.North who have a deep history,are financially fooking stable but are having a rough trot on the field.mclachlan wants to pick them up and throw them around like a fooking rag doll.
Its a disgrace if this is true.mclachlan fook off along with his little girly au pair.fooking prick
Never kick people while they are down.
Afl exec get their 880 k each to do this s**t*ery

Heres the facts of the situation.

North have 36k members. Not huge by any stretch, but a good size membership base compared to the alternative of Tasmania.

As of 2019 (last full season) there were 44,407 participants in Australian rules football in Tasmania. This currently extremely close with Soccer in the state. There are more people living and playing football in Western Melbourne than there is in Tasmania.

as an estimate, there is roughly 150000 "Supporters" of Australian rules in Tasmania. The key component is that these supporters are spread throughout the 18 AFL Clubs.

It is reported that 90,000 AFL members reside in Tasmania. That figure is completely fabricated. It would be lucky to be 40,000 spread across all clubs.

For Tasmania to be the preferred option instead of staying in Melbourne, you would need to convert Every single football supporter in the state to the team, which wont happen.

You would also need more than 10% of the entire population to be active member and attend the matches to make this viable.

It will happen for Tasmania, i have no doubt, but it wont be before 2050. By then, North will have 60-70k members.

Largely agree with most of this, but will only caution these predictions by stating that you've forgotten one very key part - North supporters will likely stay North supporters, even if the team moves to Tassie.

This means, that with a current membership base of 36K, that even if they only gained 15,000 of your estimated number of 40,000 AFL members across the state, then they're still topping 50K+, in 2022 alone (hypothetically). This then means that each year following 2022, that most new AFL supporters in Tassie would sign up to North (given they would now be representative of their home state) - as well as those back home.

I'm not saying it's gonna happen, and it probably shouldn't, but if it did, I think you need to take into account the members that North has already accrued, and then add in the prospective Tassie one's, on top of those - instead of starting from scratch.

Just my 2 cents, but good analysis overall :)

Right, and how do you suppose we grow our supporter base without TV exposure?

You can’t. It’s a Kafkaesque position promoted by fans of clubs who get gifted marquee games regardless of their performance over a long stretch of time.

The same fans who complain about other clubs getting more money from AFL HQ because they don’t get marquee fixtures.

It’s quite symptomatic of Australian society in general these days, which is why Scomo is our perfect head of state. A psychopath with zero empathy for others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I grew up going to every single game that I could with my family. Hearing stories about the 96 and 99 flags was awesome and I’ve been chomping at the bit to see my club back into a grand final.

What I can’t fathom is why people are so obsessed with removing a club that is not only debt free, bloody pokies free, but also is a club with a rich history in the sport. Deadset I ask the question, what does anyone gain? You’d have a shitload of heartbroken supporters and for what?
oHhH ThEReS ToO mANy TeAMs iN MeLBoUrNe? Who honestly gives a f*#$

I understand the Tassie argument and don’t get me wrong I would love for them to have a team. That doesn’t have to be at the expense of North and there is absolutely no reason for that to happen.

And for the Pelicans who think footy is all about how many fans you have, take a bath. Didn’t everyone grow out of comparing size in year 7?
Agree 100%. It’s one thing for people to question team performance or poor list management decisions, but it’s another to start questioning the existence of a football club

This fetish to relocate/merge teams has always baffled me.

Fitzroy 1996 is one of the saddest moments in the game. I wouldn’t wish it on any supporter base.

I also hate this notion that North should lose the Good Friday game as they’re underperforming. When Essendon and Carlton have done basically nothing for two decades and maintain their blockbuster games (ANZAC Day and the Season opener respectively) year after year.

North have been a competitive side for most of the 21st century and are finally doing a full rebuild, they deserve a chance to rebuild like everyone else. They’ve got a lot more to be proud of recently than some ‘big clubs’ in Victoria.

I also hate this notion that North should lose the Good Friday game as they’re underperforming. When Essendon and Carlton have done basically nothing for two decades and maintain their blockbuster games (ANZAC Day and the Season opener respectively) year after year.

North have been a competitive side for most of the 21st century and are finally doing a full rebuild, they deserve a chance to rebuild like everyone else. They’ve got a lot more to be proud of recently than some ‘big clubs’ in Victoria.
Bombers won a flag 2 decades ago. Played in the grand final the year after. They bring in much more money for the AFL on ANZAC day than most clubs would. Do you think the greedy boys at AFL house would take it off them? Absolutely ******* not.

You can't just call a figure fabricated because it doesn't fit your narrative. There are over 90,000 AFL club members in Tasmania.

Choice modelling undertaken suggests that a new Tasmanian AFL team within its first year would
experience a more than doubling of existing North Melbourne and Hawthorn memberships to a base
case of 38,000 members.

When you consider that North has around 5000 Tasmanian members; a figure which would likely drop considerably if they were to leave the state, it's not only possible but in my opinion likely that a Tasmanian team would have more members that North in it's very first year.

How many renew in the 2nd year when they realise they get either half the games because there is a split between Hobart and Launceston or the shine fades when they realise only Hobart or Launceston get the games ?

It will be GCS and GWS. The club wont survive without serious AFL money. And the TAS govt chipping in $20m a year.

Does TAS even have any big business who would line up to be sponsors? Or would it be all govt agencies ?

Bombers won a flag 2 decades ago. Played in the grand final the year after. They bring in much more money for the AFL on ANZAC day than most clubs would. Do you think the greedy boys at AFL house would take it off them? Absolutely ******* not.

Collingwood vs any club on ANZAC Day will fill the MCG.

The bombers haven’t won a final since 2004. Thats 17 years ago now. Let alone the drugs scandal. They’re basically only a big club due to their history, they’re a laughing stock now.

Tell me how they deserve anything more than North Melbourne currently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back