List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Alex Witherden.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Nah not supporter base. Just the seated members.

My favourite was during the Melbourne final in 2018, everyone going nuts "MCG! MCG!" etc, the old dear in front of me, her phone was set to size 72 font or something ridiculous (and I wear glasses!) so everyone could see it, she was texting about how horribly noisy it was, so she didn't hear her phone ring and also couldn't talk because of the horrible noise and how she hoped everyone would quiet down derp

I went louder.

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
3 months on and we finally hear from our highest profile recruit

As Alex's player sponsor for this year, what is the etiquette here? A polite golf clap? Or do I go all "YOU'RE MY BOY, ALEX"?

He's very well spoken. I loved how he pumped up the up and comers like Duggan and Waterman. Hopefully he can crack the side for round one and play a full season.

Pulsedriver

All Australian
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Is it only oldies who go and watch the game with headphones on, presumably the radio call of the game?

Can't say i've ever seen anyone do this under 55.

It's so Boomer. It's a tacit admission that they know not what's going on unless someone explains it to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pulsedriver

All Australian
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Bloody boomers. There's literally a scoreboard summarising how your team is going and you need someone to explain it to you.

The scoreboard is there regardless, unlike headphones. Take away the scoreboard and one can still count... perhaps not the Boomers though, they need the wireless.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
Headphone wearer at the footy #1. Anyone else?
I'll wear them when I don't have the Mrs or kids in tow (about 50/50). I'm forever answering questions when they tag along so try and leave them at home when I can get away with it.

Have them in for injuries or things you might normally miss on the sidelines.

I used to like listening to Rex Hunt when attending a neutral game without the Eagles. Didn't mind his commentary.

Pulsedriver

All Australian
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I'll wear them when I don't have the Mrs or kids in tow (about 50/50). I'm forever answering questions when they tag along so try and leave them at home when I can get away with it.

Have them in for injuries or things you might normally miss on the sidelines.

I used to like listening to Rex Hunt when attending a neutral game without the Eagles. Didn't mind his commentary.

Listening to Rex is fair enough if you're listening for the lulz, he's a funny mofo when he does footy commentary.

garlic munchers

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Downbeat Optimist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardinals
Is it only oldies who go and watch the game with headphones on, presumably the radio call of the game?

Can't say i've ever seen anyone do this under 55.

I think the key point is “see”, as suspect a fair few of these can’t really see the game, but love the ground atmosphere.

Probably should give them a bit of leeway given we wouldn’t have had club without these inaugural members (keep in mind we had some early success, but also nearly folded and our membership was critical to survival).

Some of the “oldys” are a bit past it, but a few of the “bandwagoners” can be a bit disrespectful.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
Interesting read here in regards to how high the public perception was for Witherdon early on in his career.

Some posters had him as the #1 performer heading to the 2018 season.

It's a small sample size of games, I know, but it shows how good he was playing for the Lions early on. Hopefully he finds that spark again and becomes a regular for the team.

Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

What's going on with this guy? Is he just being kept out by Hurn and others or something else going on? I thought he'd be best 22, but can't find a peep on him. Does his seconds form suggest a call up soon?
Will be in sooner rather than later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back