Free Agency Jarrod Brander - signs with GWS as a DFA

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
What’s his preferred position?

Intercepting third defender / key defender if he builds 10kg's of muscle. Athletically amazing with great endurance, very good interceptor and great by hands, his field kicking is better than most key position players and long kicking is very good however his short kicking can tend to be a bit loopy. Also isn't the quickest to get hand to boot and so far hasn't shown any real signs of being an aggressive, get out of my way, will to win type.

Best case scenario is you end up with a taller, stronger, faster Andrew Mackie, worst case scenario is you end up with brent staker. Is definite AFL quality but needs further development.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Also personally think he will be lost to west coast and perform very well for another club. He is whether talent or due to development behind Josh Rotham as a third tall defender at West Coast (a hard spot to even get on the field as bother Brad Sheppard and Shannon Hurn both play much taller than they are and can stand/defend key forwards) and is behind McGovern and Barrass as a Key defender.

Up forward he is behind Kennedy, Darling and Allen as key forwards. Probably behind Bailey Williams too as williams can perform primarily as a ruck/forward giving nic a chop out and as a running/third tall forward he is behind waterman due to watermans greater versatility and game sense.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure why maybe due to the interest Richmond had in him in his draft year but i can see him at Richmond in the next 2 years
Hopefully he doesnt have a break out year so a 2nd rounder would be great.

Richmond did a lot of work on Brander in the weeks leading up to the draft when they realised he may be available at their first pick (17- Higgins). Given Branders athletic attributes and Riewoldt finishing up in the next couple of years he would be a great fit at Richmond.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
Not sure why maybe due to the interest Richmond had in him in his draft year but i can see him at Richmond in the next 2 years
Hopefully he doesnt have a break out year so a 2nd rounder would be great.
In the podcast with Simpson it sounds like he's going just OK at the moment. Being tuned up for a running role rather than key position.

Listed today against the Dockers as an emergency with Vardy, Rotham and Edwards the other stalls coming off the bench.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Richmond did a lot of work on Brander in the weeks leading up to the draft when they realised he may be available at their first pick (17- Higgins). Given Branders athletic attributes and Riewoldt finishing up in the next couple of years he would be a great fit at Richmond.
Yeah I have quietly been keeping an eye on his progress because low key, I want him. Sounds like he may be close to breaking into West Coast’s strong offence by the sounds of it so it will be interesting to see how he goes this year.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I have quietly been keeping an eye on his progress because low key, I want him. Sounds like he may be close to breaking into West Coast’s strong offence by the sounds of it so it will be interesting to see how he goes this year.

He is a polarising figure on our board.

I am probably the biggest Brander defender of all West Coast fans.

I'm a big believer in the cream rises to the top, and I'm pretty confident Brander will significantly improve his output this year and push his way into our B22. He seems to be gradually becoming more accustomed to the level and speed of AFL football, and I think that took him some time to adjust to.

He probably hasn't come on in the way many of us expected. We were sold this idea of the "JK successor". I think to many, that gave an idea of Brander of being this great leading power forward in the mould of JK, and that simply isn't what Brander is.

The KPF that he is most similar to is Jeremy Cameron. Brander always placed high on the time trial, and by all reports is one of the clubs best runners. If he is to cement a place in the B22 it will likely be at the expense of Jake Waterman playing that link up high half-forward/wing role, unless there is availability issues with Darling/Kennedy.

He grew up supporting West Coast, and he is close with players from his draft year (Oscar Allen, Pettrucelle, Ainsworth) and they seem to be their own little squad from their instagram accounts. Hopefully those things on top of a clear progression will see him stay at West Coast beyond 2021.

The idea of having Brander/Oscar Allen as a 1-2 punch for the next 7-10 years is quite salivating.

I'd be rather annoyed, to put it mildly, if Richmond had Balta up one end and Brander up the other.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
In the podcast with Simpson it sounds like he's going just OK at the moment. Being tuned up for a running role rather than key position.

Listed today against the Dockers as an emergency with Vardy, Rotham and Edwards the other stalls coming off the bench.

He played in the WAFL scratchie against Peel and by all accounts was BOG and dominated playing mid/forward:

Excerpt from article in the West:

West Coast Eagles duo Brendon Ah Chee, Jarrod Brander impress in WAFL practice match against Peel Thunder

West Coast duo Brendon Ah Chee and Jarrod Brander gave the Eagles’ selectors a timely reminder of their round one credentials in the Eagles WAFL side’s practice match against Peel Thunder at Cockburn.

Ah Chee and Brander were noticeable stand-outs as West Coast easily defeated an inaccurate Peel, featuring six Dockers, 8.12 (60) to 6.12 (48).

Brander, who had been utilised on a wing and at half forward last season, went straight into the middle for the first centre bounce alongside Eagles’ WAFL skipper Hamish Brayshaw and draftee Luke Edwards, while also spending time resting forward.

Looking noticeably bigger than many of the rest on the field, the 22-year-old had a quiet start, but came into his own in a dominant second term, with two goals including a great snap deep in the right pocket from a forward 50 stoppage.

Brander could’ve stamped his authority on the game should he have kicked straight in front of goal though, missing three basic chances as the Eagles’ coaching staff watched on from the southern bank.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
He is a polarising figure on our board.

I am probably the biggest Brander defender of all West Coast fans.

I'm a big believer in the cream rises to the top, and I'm pretty confident Brander will significantly improve his output this year and push his way into our B22. He seems to be gradually becoming more accustomed to the level and speed of AFL football, and I think that took him some time to adjust to.

He probably hasn't come on in the way many of us expected. We were sold this idea of the "JK successor". I think to many, that gave an idea of Brander of being this great leading power forward in the mould of JK, and that simply isn't what Brander is.

The KPF that he is most similar to is Jeremy Cameron. Brander always placed high on the time trial, and by all reports is one of the clubs best runners. If he is to cement a place in the B22 it will likely be at the expense of Jake Waterman playing that link up high half-forward/wing role, unless there is availability issues with Darling/Kennedy.

He grew up supporting West Coast, and he is close with players from his draft year (Oscar Allen, Pettrucelle, Ainsworth) and they seem to be their own little squad from their instagram accounts. Hopefully those things on top of a clear progression will see him stay at West Coast beyond 2021.

The idea of having Brander/Oscar Allen as a 1-2 punch for the next 7-10 years is quite salivating.

I'd be rather annoyed, to put it mildly, if Richmond had Balta up one end and Brander up the other.
Lol that would be annoying for opposition supporters if he did join Richmond, but if he’s settled in with the youth at West Coast then he probably will stay. The only reason why he’d go in my opinion is if he didn’t get a whole heap of opportunities at West Coast this year and he fears that his AFL career will end. If not, then I think he’ll stay despite being a country Vic boy from what I know.

Can he play key forward? Think he played a bit there as a junior

Yes, he just hasn't gotten that opportunity at the Eagles due to the competition for spots
Kennedy
Darling
Allen
Waterman

Then you have the resting rucks of Vardy or Williams down there also.

Waterman had to reinvent himself as a high half forward / wing to get a regular spot.

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
victim of circumstance rather than talent

would walk into a lot of other teams
hope we fight like hell to keep him

Yes, he just hasn't gotten that opportunity at the Eagles due to the competition for spots
Kennedy
Darling
Allen
Waterman

Then you have the resting rucks of Vardy or Williams down there also.

Waterman had to reinvent himself as a high half forward / wing to get a regular spot.
Is he more a third tall forward type or will he have enough size to be the main target

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Is he more a third tall forward type or will he have enough size to be the main target

Think Gunston.

Agile, a bit lighter running tall who will kick a bag on his day. Better pushing up the ground, losing his opponent and running back.

These new rules are very favourable for a Brander type player.

Eagles look like they are trying to turn him into a Bontempelli 195cm mid. Because they have a heap of quality talls and a weaker midfield group.

Did play well last night.

Might have been the ‘circuit breaker’ for him and his confidence.

Here’s hoping anyway.

Was impressed with him. Hopefully he can find a best 22 role and you hang onto him.

Back