Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
511,000 metro
186,000 regional
181,000 Fox Footy

Total audience 878,000

Me too. Given only a few days notice and the general Covid crowd suppression it's higher than I expected
[/QUOTE]
A long Easter Weekend always impacts the crowds and TV ratings so TV ratings of 878,000 is OK.

The more interesting one for me is todays North V Bulldogs match the theory in the past was that because there is not much to do on GF a good crowd was assured.
It could be shocker but if the WB fans turn up in decent numbers it could be OK.

Last edited:
I wonder what the excuses will be this year when ratings are down because they reverted the quarter length back to 20 minutes.

I wonder what the excuses will be this year when ratings are down because they reverted the quarter length back to 20 minutes.
They should have gone to 18 minutes! The game is way too long at 20 min plus time on.
If we have big blowouts the casual viewers will switch off at 3/4 time.

The more interesting one for me is todays North V Bulldogs match the theory in the past was that because there is not much to do on GF a good crowd was assured.
It could be shocker but if the WB fans turn up in decent numbers it could be OK.
Problem is there's nothing in it for Dogs fans. An underrated aspect of Dreamtime is how it's shared equally by both group of supporters.

As it stands, if North want it To work they have to do it themselves.

You can only get level 4 tickets to the game today..
Will be very disappointed if many a level 1 seat remains empty.

Biggest blight on the game for fans is sending them up to the top of the G while lower levels remain empty. If anything having to actually go and reserve a ticket should of helped with this..

Would like 40k on a beautiful day, but Easter can’t help crowds

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good Friday football - just 154k in Melbourne. 60k in Perth as well.
Not sure what the Crows v Suns rated in Adelaide and Brisbane.

At what stage does this no longer become a 'blockbuster'? It's not a big crowd puller and it doesn't rate.

At what stage does this no longer become a 'blockbuster'? It's not a big crowd puller and it doesn't rate.
The only way North Vs WB would ever be considered a blockbuster is when they are both top 4 sides. This fixture was given in sympathy by the AFL in response to criticism they were biasing public holidays towards the bigger clubs.

Its not a blockbuster. It meets none of the KPIs of a blockbuster - even pre covid.

The only way North Vs WB would ever be considered a blockbuster is when they are both top 4 sides. This fixture was given in sympathy by the AFL in response to criticism they were biasing public holidays towards the bigger clubs.

North were in front because they were the main drivers of this along with Carlton. The Bulldogs joined this very late in the piece. You cant manufacture a blockbuster out of two of the smaller teams in victoria with little to nothing to hype.

Its not a blockbuster. It meets none of the KPIs of a blockbuster - even pre covid.

North were in front because they were the main drivers of this along with Carlton. The Bulldogs joined this very late in the piece. You cant manufacture a blockbuster out of two of the smaller teams in victoria with little to nothing to hype.
Did it meet any of the requirements in 2019 when they hosted Essendon? Big crowd and rivalry? Don’t know how it rated?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

84k watched the Brisbane match on the main channel in Brisbane. The highest rating for any lions match since 2010. The competing rugby league match only had 104k. A couple of years ago, Brisbane faced Collingwood and only had 41k viewers in Brisbane. The growth of the game in Queensland is exceeding every state by miles.

84k watched the Brisbane match on the main channel in Brisbane. The highest rating for any lions match since 2010. The competing rugby league match only had 104k. A couple of years ago, Brisbane faced Collingwood and only had 41k viewers in Brisbane. The growth of the game in Queensland is exceeding every state by miles.

This comes with success though - Lions are on an upward curve, circa 2003. They drop off again, and it will vanish. Queensland was ever thus

This comes with success though - Lions are on an upward curve, circa 2003. They drop off again, and it will vanish. Queensland was ever thus
Brisbane is the only city this year that has shown positive ratings growth. While you're right, we are fairweather, the AFL should also take this as a positive. This tells us that Queensland is far more receptive than NSW in terms of AFL growth. A strong Brisbane team will mean a strong support from Queensland towards this game. A strong Sydney team won't mean the same thing. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, the Sydney and Lions match both aired on FTA and more people watched in Brisbane despite its much smaller population. I'm not sure if AFL will ever crack the Sydney market, but they do have a better chance at cracking the Brisbane/Queensland market.

Did it meet any of the requirements in 2019 when they hosted Essendon? Big crowd and rivalry? Don’t know how it rated?

Rated poorly. 393k 5 city metro.

On last night - Adelaide v Gold Coast rated 173k across the 2 markets. Not much less than North v Dogs across Melbourne & Perth.

Good Friday has the chance of being a genuine blockbuster timeslot, but if the AFL keeps putting dud games on then it's not going to be popular. Schedule games based on the match itself, not the teams involved. They just get sucked in to pressure from Victorian clubs that all seem to think that if they get the same slot every year they can automatically call it a blockbuster.

That's an excellent crowd

Sydney generally draw a great crowd at the G.

I remember from those 2 occasions in the last 20 frickin years we’ve been allowed to play them there.

Brisbane is the only city this year that has shown positive ratings growth. While you're right, we are fairweather, the AFL should also take this as a positive. This tells us that Queensland is far more receptive than NSW in terms of AFL growth. A strong Brisbane team will mean a strong support from Queensland towards this game. A strong Sydney team won't mean the same thing. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, the Sydney and Lions match both aired on FTA and more people watched in Brisbane despite its much smaller population. I'm not sure if AFL will ever crack the Sydney market, but they do have a better chance at cracking the Brisbane/Queensland market.
We just need Murdoch to stop running the NRL, that would help.

The crowds they get in a 5 million city are nothing special esp with the success they have enjoyed over the years and massive support from Murdoch's Heraldsun unlike in Sydney where both the Swans and GWS get very little coverage in any of the NSW papers and how are all those local Victorian players going?

The Swans in Sydney are way ahead of the Storm on both counts breeding their own local NSW players and getting consistent big crowds at the SCG in fact more that either the RL or RU clubs get!

All due respect, local NSW players have been coming from the Riverina, Albury etc for decades. The Swans have been in Sydney since 1982 so have they have invested in the games development for near 40 years.

Newspaper coverage is one thing but being on TV helps. :)

Maybe in Melbourne their aren't enough Pacific island big boys coming through the system for the Storm.? ;)

Anyway, all just for discussion purposes. :)

Maybe in Melbourne their aren't enough Pacific island big boys coming through the system for the Storm.? ;)
That's actually a really good point as to why they're aren't many NRL players of Victorian origin. I suspect the majority of Islanders in Australia reside in the Eastern states and so are more easily socialized into the rugby codes. Since Islanders are overrepresented in the NRL as a proportion of the overall population (over 50%) there is a clear bias that NRL clubs have towards the strength and size advantages that Islanders possess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back