Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting, there's no worse feeling as a player to get called out by a team mate for lacking courage, i know because i got it every week :) made me do some crazy sh*t, running head first back into packs to prove i wasn't soft, end of thr day you are who you are, i was kidding myself, everyone can do it when you're backed up against a wall, real players don't even think about, they just do it.

If only we could transplant Cal Browns head onto WHE's body, would be a win/win.

Yeah, its different when you're being paid hundreds of thousands to do it as well as free medical care ect.

The longer his career extends, the less enigmatic he seems to be. He provides very few examples of play from which to judge his talent, courage or tenacity. In the end, it's the lack of kicks, marks, handballs and tackles that best represent the status of his current performance. Whatever he might have once threatened to be, he no longer seems either keen or capable of becoming.

Yes, you’re right, the unacceptably low number of stats really IS the bottom line for WHE. My comment about him being an enigma was in reference to WHE also being one of the most highly skilled players in the side (it’s a small field to choose from). He’s an excellent runner for his size, one of the best kicks in the team, a reliable set shot for goal and only Howe and Moore are better overhead marks. He should have so much more impact than he does.

With Elliott out, I personally think we should select WHE for a block of 3-4 games at FF, playing out of the goal square. If he can’t rediscover some form there, then I think he really is all washed up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes, you’re right, the unacceptably low number of stats really IS the bottom line for WHE. My comment about him being an enigma was in reference to WHE also being one of the most highly skilled players in the side (it’s a small field to choose from). He’s an excellent runner for his size, one of the best kicks in the team, a reliable set shot for goal and only Howe and Moore are better overhead marks. He should have so much more impact than he does.

With Elliott out, I personally think we should select WHE for a block of 3-4 games at FF, playing out of the goal square. If he can’t rediscover some form there, then I think he really is all washed up.

Whe is 186cm and listed at 82kg. His athleticism is nothing special for his size.

Wilbour replaced Elliott as the high small forward on the week end. So, was played out of position because Bucks traded away all our other options.

Wilbur is an outside player that is best suited to the wing and half forward line where he can run, use his athelatism to work over his opponent and use his excellent ball skills to deliver the ball to forwards. Example A in the first quarter. Wilbur uses his athleticism to work forward and kick an occasional goal or work back and be an outlet for defense.

Because Bucks has no better option, Wilbur is played as a high small forward who needs power and strength to create space or out body his opponent plus repeat speed strength to perform forward pressure acts.

The reason Elliott plays the high small forwards is because he is very good at it, CFC are lucky in that respect because not many AFL clubs have reliable small forwards with the potential to kick 30/40 goals a season. Elliott is one.

Buck's uses Wilbur to fill holes because he can. Best 22 easily ...

Wilbour replaced Elliott as the high small forward on the week end. So, was played out of position because Bucks traded away all our other options.

Wilbur is an outside player that is best suited to the wing and half forward line where he can run, use his athelatism to work over his opponent and use his excellent ball skills to deliver the ball to forwards. Example A in the first quarter. Wilbur uses his athleticism to work forward and kick an occasional goal or work back and be an outlet for defense.

Because Bucks has no better option, Wilbur is played as a high small forward who needs power and strength to create space or out body his opponent plus repeat speed strength to perform forward pressure acts.

The reason Elliott plays the high small forwards is because he is very good at it, CFC are lucky in that respect because not many AFL clubs have reliable small forwards with the potential to kick 30/40 goals a season. Elliott is one.

High small forward/high half forward what’s the difference?

Call me crazy but the role of a forward is first and foremost to kick goals. We play 3 who weekly, never do, and we wonder why we struggle to score . It’s insanity

According to Bucks, winning flags is not the measure of a good team.

Neither kicking goals is the measure of a good forward.

Its all about KPIs and theoretical textbook stats, just give another 10years and you'll see! On paper, its a real good forward line!

The conundrum is that while WHE’s skills and speed are easily good enough for OUR Best 22, his impact is not. He’ll never be a contested beast - and shouldn’t even try to be - but we should be getting much more outside & finishing impact from him.

My suspicion is that better coaches would get a lot more out of him - but that’s a topic for another time.

The conundrum is that while WHE’s skills and speed are easily good enough for OUR Best 22, his impact is not. He’ll never be a contested beast - and shouldn’t even try to be - but we should be getting much more outside & finishing impact from him.

My suspicion is that better coaches would get a lot more out of him - but that’s a topic for another time.

Its essentially the same with every player under bucks

He seems just about cooked as a forward, perhaps we shift him into defence, he has shown decent signs there before. He clearly has superior talent and speed to someone like Madgen, although Madgen is certainly not pea hearted and fragile like WHE :think:. He's got another year on his contract so we may as well try something different with him.

He seems just about cooked as a forward, perhaps we shift him into defence, he has shown decent signs there before. He clearly has superior talent and speed to someone like Madgen, although Madgen is certainly not pea hearted and fragile like WHE :think:. He's got another year on his contract so we may as well try something different with him.

Try him in the vfl that's something different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WHE is an enigma. His perfectly-weighted kick on the run to set up Sidebottom’s goal in Q1 was elite. We have very few other players in the team who could have executed it.

He is 1 of our Best Skilled Players with Ball in Hand but since 2019 does not get enough of the Ball and Offers next to nothing when he does NOT have the Ball

Did anyone else think our forward leading patterns (that worked so well the week before with JDG and Billy coming at the player with the ball) just reverted to everyone leading into each other's way? I lost count of the times that Mihocek, JDG and Cox led to the same place (from different angles) and Sidebottom was running into WHE's space a lot in the first half as well.

WHE is no doubt an "outside" type but it doesn't help if team mates incringe on his leading lanes when he is coming out of the square. Then to drop that sitter of a mark in the last Q was just a measure of his lack of confidence.

Coaches need to help players improve. WHE has the tools to be a damaging player, but will he ever play in a position where he gets to have continuity and confidence?

Did anyone else think our forward leading patterns (that worked so well the week before with JDG and Billy coming at the player with the ball) just reverted to everyone leading into each other's way? I lost count of the times that Mihocek, JDG and Cox led to the same place (from different angles) and Sidebottom was running into WHE's space a lot in the first half as well.

WHE is no doubt an "outside" type but it doesn't help if team mates incringe on his leading lanes when he is coming out of the square. Then to drop that sitter of a mark in the last Q was just a measure of his lack of confidence.

Coaches need to help players improve. WHE has the tools to be a damaging player, but will he ever play in a position where he gets to have continuity and confidence?
In that second quarter when we were so far on top in general play, it did just feel like time and time again there was no seperation and we were left just bombing it to a pack

He did spend quite some time in the goal square on Thursday evening.

I think the coaching staff are/may be sticking with him longer than a usual player because he does actually have AFL level attributes that can make him a good player. Yes he's been poor, but there's blokes in the AFL that actually bring nothing to the table at that level.

He has talent but when you never show it and are as soft as a packet of marshmallows which is costing us big time, you just have to go. Take he and Thomas out of the forward line see more bite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back