AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

I have it on pretty good authority that Pies would have done De Goey + something for Hurley. The something would have been valuable, like first round valuable.

Admittedly De Goey was still in his first few years and wasn't setting the world on fire.
Not a chance.

Collingwood have thought he could be the best player in the game since his first season. At no stage would they have given him up for Hurley unless there was a massive sweetener as well. Certainly aren't handing over extras.

Whoever told you that has their wires confused.

Not a chance.

Collingwood have thought he could be the best player in the game since his first season. At no stage would they have given him up for Hurley unless there was a massive sweetener as well. Certainly aren't handing over extras.

Whoever told you that has their wires confused.

It's one step removed from the list manager and it was not a very big step.

He's first 2 years weren't much and he has had discipline problems the whole time. Like I said, when I floated the idea of the trade years ago now it was roundly jumped on as a bad idea.

Last edited:
I have it on pretty good authority that Pies would have done De Goey + something for Hurley. The something would have been valuable, like first round valuable.

Admittedly De Goey was still in his first few years and wasn't setting the world on fire.
Good Essendon authority or good Collingwood authority?

It's one step removed from the list manager and it was not a very big step.

He's first 2 years weren't much and he has had discipline problems the whole time. Like I said, when I floated the idea of the trade years ago now it was roundly jumped on as a bad idea.
It's big enough to be wrong. You might not have rated his first 2 years.

Collingwood did.

Makes me think there's confusion in the message even more so. Or the truths somewhere in the middle of both of us.

Last edited:
Well Hooker, Heppell and Hurley stayed and they had as good a reason as any to leave, but they showed leadership and (unreasonable?) loyalty. Maybe a great chance for Zach to do the same

Hooker and Hurley were both given new substantially over priced contracts following the drugs saga.............not saying they have not been good servants to the club but there was more to them staying than just leadership and loyalty rofl.

Hooker got something like 800k over 5 years for *s sake lol

Hooker and Hurley were both given new substantially over priced contracts following the drugs saga.............not saying they have not been good servants to the club but there was more to them staying than just leadership and loyalty rofl.

Hooker got something like 800k over 5 years for fu**s sake lol
Like I said to someone else earlier, the following year Jake Lever got same if not more from Dees. So not sure overpriced

Is it that bad to want to be captain and lead the side?
no, but it is bad to be thinking "if they don't make me skipper, I'll walk" instead of trying to become someone that the players will vote in.
i think sometimes players can tend to vote in the direction of someone who might not be ideal (not us, I love heppell forever) but the coaches coming in and saying "zach gets the most touches and we want him to stay so he's your captain now" wouldn't be great for the ~culture~
this is all hypothetical of course i have no way of knowing his motivations and I'm probably way off the mark lol

no, but it is bad to be thinking "if they don't make me skipper, I'll walk" instead of trying to become someone that the players will vote in.
i think sometimes players can tend to vote in the direction of someone who might not be ideal (not us, I love heppell forever) but the coaches coming in and saying "zach gets the most touches and we want him to stay so he's your captain now" wouldn't be great for the ~culture~
this is all hypothetical of course i have no way of knowing his motivations and I'm probably way off the mark lol

Yeah I hear that.

I was thinking more along the lines of it may be something he aspires to, and the club may be intending him to be the next skipper anyway. If so, it's a definite lure to keep him.

I'd be very surprised if he's not firmly in the frame for the role anyway. I know a lot of people are thinking we'll jump straight to McGrath, but I thought Rutten bringing him straight back into the leadership group this year is a pretty strong signal.

Like I said to someone else earlier, the following year Jake Lever got same if not more from Dees. So not sure overpriced
Hooker was offered big coin to go home to WA and play under Ross Lyon. Chose to stay which is why we love him so much. You're right on both Hooker and Hurley, they had other options that would've got them the same cash or very close to.

Yeah I hear that.

I was thinking more along the lines of it may be something he aspires to, and the club may be intending him to be the next skipper anyway. If so, it's a definite lure to keep him.

I'd be very surprised if he's not firmly in the frame for the role anyway. I know a lot of people are thinking we'll jump straight to McGrath, but I thought Rutten bringing him straight back into the leadership group this year is a pretty strong signal.
If leadership is something he aspires to... is he likely to become captain at any other club? How often does someone who is traded in end up as captain?

I know Judd did it. Other than that, not sure (not counting inaugural GC/GWS teams because of course not)... 🤔

If leadership is something he aspires to... is he likely to become captain at any other club? How often does someone who is traded in end up as captain?

I know Judd did it. Other than that, not sure (not counting inaugural GC/GWS teams because of course not)... 🤔
He could get it at Carlton for a bit if Cripps left until Sam Walsh was ready. Saints no (Jack Steele), Collingwood no (Tay Adams), Hawthorne a possibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this point I will be shocked if he leaves. Especially if we can put in more four quarter performances this year.
I wouldn't be either way.
Well yeah. Wouldn’t think he’d be our skipper if he’s playing for another club.

Sorry, I should’ve been more specific.
It would be groundbreaking stuff, really.

I love Hepp, but his body isn’t holding up.

If it helps him stay, sign him up as skipper for as long as he wants.
Genuine superstar

Merrett looks great when he uses his speed and runs with the footy.

When he’s forward of half-back and taking running bounces he’s very damaging. If he’s deep in defence and running round the back for cheapies he is less so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back