Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sydney Swans are example 1A of how to 'rebuild' since 2016.

1. Identify, convince and keep key members of your senior core that contribute to your culture, ensuring that expectations are set for new players. Its importantnyou dont cut too deep when stripping back your list (Kennedy, Franklin, Parker, Rampe, Reid, Lloyd)

2. Dont be afraid to let players go that look elsewhere - even if they are quality - and convert them to draft assets, dont waste salary cap luring big name replacements (Hanneberry, Z.Jones, Titchell, Rohan, Nankervis)

3. NAIL your draft choices. In saying this, dont focus on 1st rounders, find value where you can. This obviously is difficult, and everyone tries to do it. But environment is key, the above two point contribute to an optimal developmental situation. (Yes, academies helped, like they have Collingwood, WB, Norf, Ess, Freo etc)

Sydney stood up really well that qtr. Kept the foot down and consolidated a half time lead against the best team. Supporters would be thrilled. I cant think of the last time we did that to any team.

1. Identify, convince and keep key members of your senior core that contribute to your culture, ensuring that expectations are set for new players. Its importantnyou dont cut too deep when stripping back your list (Kennedy, Franklin, Parker, Rampe, Reid, Lloyd)

2. Dont be afraid to let players go that look elsewhere - even if they are quality - and convert them to draft assets, dont waste salary cap luring big name replacements (Hanneberry, Z.Jones, Titchell, Rohan, Nankervis)

3. NAIL your draft choices. In saying this, dont focus on 1st rounders, find value where you can. This obviously is difficult, and everyone tries to do it. But environment is key, the above two point contribute to an optimal developmental situation. (Yes, academies helped, like they have Collingwood, WB, Norf, Ess, Freo etc)
I’m at the game. They have been great.

The other factor is that their development....which appears to be pretty damn good based on what I’m seeing today. Who knew Chad Warner was a thing???

Further evidence to my mind that you have to play talented kids. Cox, Perkins, Reid, Harrison’s et al....just play the talent.

4. Have access to top rated academy players while still being able to select top talent like McDonald in the open draft.

Sydney have Mills, Heeney, Blakey (who should've been a North F/S) and Campbell while still being able to select the likes of Logan McDonald and Dylan Stephens inside the top 5 of the draft.

They didn't need to lose any of their top players like we did to gain all of those picks. It's hard to ignore the impact of the academy when they have a lot of quality coming from there.

Compare that to North and they'll take years to gain that much quality.

I’m at the game. They have been great.

The other factor is that their development....which appears to be pretty damn good based on what I’m seeing today. Who knew Chad Warner was a thing???

Further evidence to my mind that you have to play talented kids. Cox, Perkins, Reid, Harrison’s et al....just play the talent.
Development has always been Sydneys 1-wood. Its how you get an abundance of Rookie successes like Rampe, Lloyd, Papley, Wicks is another beauty.

I think their 2016 grand final side had 9 rookies in it.

Development has always been Sydneys 1-wood. Its how you get an abundance of Rookie successes like Rampe, Lloyd, Papley, Wicks is another beauty.

I think their 2016 grand final side had 9 rookies in it.
Does help when they don't keep re-rooking the same spuds over and over again

Look at Gleeson, Clarke, Dea, Long

As well as picking up townsend, jok, Mynott,

The list of first year players at Sydney over years that come on in and have an impact straight up must be close to the best in the AFL. Good list management and development, something we a could do with.

4. Have access to top rated academy players while still being able to select top talent like McDonald in the open draft.

Sydney have Mills, Heeney, Blakey (who should've been a North F/S) and Campbell while still being able to select the likes of Logan McDonald and Dylan Stephens inside the top 5 of the draft.

They didn't need to lose any of their top players like we did to gain all of those picks. It's hard to ignore the impact of the academy when they have a lot of quality coming from there.

Compare that to North and they'll take years to gain that much quality.
That would hold water if Victorian clubs werent given their own academies in far more fertile Aussie rules areas.

We have had an NGA academy zone in the Tiwi, west arnhem land and in the freaking calder cannon zone since 2015. How many first rounders have we gotten out of arguably the most fertile footballing zone per capita in the country? (The Tiwi)

If we put half the amount of energy and resources into the Tiwi that sydney does into their zone we would have way more players coming out of our NGA then sydney do at the top end.

But every club in the league with an NGA zone essentially neglected to do anything with it, didnt put resources into developing rural areas (for us the Tiwi/WAL) and sat back waited to cherry pick guys who would have been drafted anyway (JUH, McInnes, Quaynor, Thomas, etc) and so the league took that privilege away.

Goulden and Campbell joined the Swans academy at 11, Heeney at 12, Mills at 14 and Blakey had been living in sydney since 2007.
They wouldnt have been AFL footballers without the academy, happy for the Swans to have them. We should have done the same with our NGA but couldnt be effed with the effort.

The Accademy is a joke. Such an unfair advantage. Either every club has one or none do. I'd prefer that every club has one because their are clear benefits for football in NSW that they have one.
We do have an academy, its called an NGA, and its in a far more fertile footballing nursery in the Tiwi.

Problem is we do **** all with it and dont pour any resources into developing it like Sydney does.

Im not sure what you mean?

It’s actually gotten worse since he’s gone to the bench. None of the changes he’s made have done anything and the second half has been a complete training drill.

Would Rutten get the same benefit of the doubt if he went up to the box mid game from a fan base that is already sharpening it’s knives?

Will also say that Roos has coaches Longmuir to coach this side beautifully.

That would hold water if Victorian clubs werent given their own academies in far more fertile Aussie rules areas.

We have had an NGA academy zone in the Tiwi, west arnhem land and in the freaking calder cannon zone since 2015. How many first rounders have we gotten out of arguably the most fertile footballing zone per capita in the country? (The Tiwi)

If we put half the amount of energy and resources into the Tiwi that sydney does into their zone we would have way more players coming out of our NGA then sydney do at the top end.

But every club in the league with an NGA zone essentially neglected to do anything with it, didnt put resources into developing rural areas (for us the Tiwi/WAL) and sat back waited to cherry pick guys who would have been drafted anyway (JUH, McInnes, Quaynor, Thomas, etc) and so the league took that privilege away.

Goulden and Campbell joined the Swans academy at 11, Heeney at 12, Mills at 14 and Blakey had been living in sydney since 2007.
They wouldnt have been AFL footballers without the academy, happy for the Swans to have them. We should have done the same with our NGA but couldnt be effed with the effort.
Gulden, Campbell, Heeney and Mills absolutely. But you can't tell me Blakey wouldn't have played AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gulden, Campbell, Heeney and Mills absolutely. But you can't tell me Blakey wouldn't have played AFL.
Not saying he wouldnt. But Blakey would have been living in Sydney since he was 7 years old.

To say the Swans just cherry picked him from Norfs clutches and had nothing to do with his junior development is farcical.

I have no issue with Sydney having access to their academy players. They developed them so they can have them. I do however think that the price they paid for them is too small. To have access to both top 5 academy players + top 5 picks in the open draft by collecting 2nd and 3rd round picks is too much.

The Victorian zones will be more fertile, but they are divided among more teams. It isnt like the clubs lock them up. There is a bidding process.
There is a bidding process for Northern academies...

And its not just Victoria. Essendon for example get the Calder Cannons zone, Tiwi islands and West arnhem land i think. If we were to put anywhere near the resources into those areas that Sydney does we would get far more AFL prospects, but we dont.

It’s actually gotten worse since he’s gone to the bench. None of the changes he’s made have done anything and the second half has been a complete training drill.

Would Rutten get the same benefit of the doubt if he went up to the box mid game from a fan base that is already sharpening it’s knives?

Will also say that Roos has coaches Longmuir to coach this side beautifully.
I have no problem with Rutten coaching from the boundary. No knives out either from myself. Tiges kicked a few in a row when Dimma first went down so it looked like he was getting a positive result. Sydney played well.

Need Sydney to get up today to get of to a dominant start in the upsets game:)
What a prophecy
Dylan Stephens

Really like this kid as an underager at Norwood playing seniors. Would like to know the knock on him at Sydney preventing him from getting games as he's looked ok when selected too. Without knowing the answer to my question, this is the type of player Dodoro should be keeping an eye on.

The difference in quality between Fox's worst combination (Dwayne, Eddie, Brown and Healy) to Channel 7's best (Brayshaw, Darcy?, Hodge and Watson) is huge. Let alone Fox's best and Seven's worst.

And I know they're not the most popular team on this board but as far as a whole, West Coast play my favourite brand of football. A system based on working hard both ways, hitting the lead up mark, with good talls at either end.

Would love us to implement their style of game.

And I know they're not the most popular team on this board but as far as a whole, West Coast play my favourite brand of football. A system based on working hard both ways, hitting the lead up mark, with good talls at either end.

Would love us to implement their style of game.
The team? The team I don't mind. I like it. The fans? The fans are crook.

The team? The team I don't mind. I like it. The fans? The fans are crook.
Most of my experiences with them have been on BF where they've been relatively decent, but fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back