Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not getting beaten by anyone in the contest once he's fit and ready, I don't care how outsized he is.

That sounds promising then.

You're right, but it's all a question of mid field balance. Lachie Neale, Dion Prestia, Matt Rowell - they're all in the Philiips athletic template, 175-180, 75kg to 85kg. A brilliant footballer in that category will be a brilliant footballer, and you can always dream for what I would call an artistic ball player, someone who can make the ball talk with their incisive ball skills (whether by hand or foot). I think Phillips has that, so it will be a question of his durability (injury prevention) and tank - and, what a bonus, joy, oh joy, I also think Powell has that artistic ability, which should make an outstanding partnership.

So a couple of them is great, but really competitive midfields have what Nick Riewoldt -borrowing from soccer - is calling a striker, the power goal scorer. Riewoldt is making the analogy between a soccer #9 and the AFL power midfielder, the explosive type in w the 188 - 190 cm and 85 - 95kg range. This is the Dangerfield, Fyffe, Martin and above all now, Bontempelli cohort.

The closest we have to that at the minute is LDU (188 and currently 85kg), which makes his progress in the next two years absolutely critical - if he turns into an explosive midfielder, we'll be cooking. In the reverse, if he got badly hurt, or has a form slump, what are the options? Not many, which makes the 2021 draft is still a midfield priority, with a bias to the type who might fit the power model. Get two of them, with ball users like Phillips and Powell, and we'll have KPP players queuing up to join

When we get one or two of Horne/sinn/sonsie will help them.

You're right, but it's all a question of mid field balance. Lachie Neale, Dion Prestia, Matt Rowell - they're all in the Philiips athletic template, 175-180, 75kg to 85kg. A brilliant footballer in that category will be a brilliant footballer, and you can always dream for what I would call an artistic ball player, someone who can make the ball talk with their incisive ball skills (whether by hand or foot). I think Phillips has that, so it will be a question of his durability (injury prevention) and tank - and, what a bonus, joy, oh joy, I also think Powell has that artistic ability, which should make an outstanding partnership.

So a couple of them is great, but really competitive midfields have what Nick Riewoldt -borrowing from soccer - is calling a striker, the power goal scorer. Riewoldt is making the analogy between a soccer #9 and the AFL power midfielder, the explosive type in w the 188 - 190 cm and 85 - 95kg range. This is the Dangerfield, Fyffe, Martin and above all now, Bontempelli cohort.

The closest we have to that at the minute is LDU (188 and currently 85kg), which makes his progress in the next two years absolutely critical - if he turns into an explosive midfielder, we'll be cooking. In the reverse, if he got badly hurt, or has a form slump, what are the options? Not many, which makes the 2021 draft is still a midfield priority, with a bias to the type who might fit the power model. Get two of them, with ball users like Phillips and Powell, and we'll have KPP players queuing up to join
Was going to say this.

Neale is 3cm shorter than phillips.
Tom Mitchell 1cm taller
Libratore, selwood, hannebery 2cm taller
Rowell, Viney, Sloane...really is a long list around Phillips height.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we picked up McDonald, you'd be in awe of him, and you'd be quite happy we passed on Phillips.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is the best way to describe this forum.
No, with the way we have played, he would be goalless through 3 games and we would be calling him a spud, and another top pick wasted on a key position player

If we picked up McDonald, you'd be in awe of him, and you'd be quite happy we passed on Phillips.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is the best way to describe this forum.

If we picked up McDonald, he would barely have hit the scoreboard. If Phillips was playing for Sydney he would have notched out 3 20 odd disposal games.

It goes both ways.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You misunderstand the criticism of our choosing of Phillips. He may be a good future player - let's hope so. But as you can see we need a marking forward much more than another midfielder, especially as we drafted 2 others. Next year is a midfield draft, and we can get the best. But we gave up McDonald for an untried speculative midfield pick.
The bad decisions multiplied: get rid of Ben Brown for no proper reason; think Comben will be anywhere close; and then go a small midfielder with pick 3! Last, you don't draft at 3 for leadership, whatever that means.
Love the kid already. Who gives a **** about Logan. The only McDonald I care about is getting Lukey back

Phillips will be fine, he is going to be a really good solid player. We drafted the kid at 3 and that probably surprised some people because although he works hard and plays hard he is probably closer to his ceiling then any other player in that top 1-9 range. Once he gets accustomed to the speed of the game, and gets 20 or so games under his belt I’m positive that he will show what he is. The other issue is he is a mid, and probably doesn’t have the skill set or any experience playing fwd.... so for him to get the experience that he needs, he will need to play those midfield minutes. This sill be taxing on him physically but worth the investment in time.
Would I have drafted him at 3 if I was making the pick?? No way!
But he is the highest pick we have had since 2006, so I will barrack for him and give him all the time he needs to become a really good AFL footballer.

The point is, you can't have both. Teams don't give away top 10 picks, so all the talk about "trading up" in the draft is hollow.

So, we chose one and it's farcical to call that choice "speculative". It was well considered and we now wait and see how it turns out. Like many, I'm confident it was the correct choice.
Speculative because he didn't play at under18s. McDonald did. And given the midfielders draft this year it was ill-considered. I don't know how you can deny either of those points. Not to mention we need a key position forward more than a midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back