Rumour The North Ultimatum

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitzroy, 25 members, 15 different home grounds, but they should have been saved.

Fitzroy could have survived and prospered with a bit of AFL aid that has been extended to other Melbourne based clubs, through their "Competitive Balance Fund" such as the Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and North Melbourne.

Fitzroy in 1992-93 was a very competitive side. Crowds of 50,000 and above for some Fitzroy games in 1992 and 1993, as well as crowds of above 25,000 for pre-season games showed that the club could attract spectators, if competitive. The club actually made a profit in 1993, they'd finally got a social club that was making money through the Fitzroy Club Hotel (purchased in March 1992) and were making plans to return to the Brunswick Street Oval (just up the road from the Fitzroy Club Hotel) as a training and administration base. The club had actually gained approval from the Council in 1992 to do just that, but just couldn't find the spare $250,000 to renovate the old heritage grandstand and build a modern gymnasium over the existing community rooms.

However they felt that couldn't compete on an on-going basis with some of the other clubs. For example the ANZAC Day game alone netted Essendon and Collingwood more revenue than Fitzroy would receive in a season. By 1994 Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood were running on a turnover of 11-12 million compared to Fitzroy's $5 million. The large clubs received $1 million in gate receipts compared to Fitzroy's $300,000 and obviously due to their far larger membership were making at least a million dollars more from membership.

Fitzroy would have never sought a merger if they could have secured an extra $1 million in funding - $0.5 million to return to the Brunswick Street Oval and upgrade the faciliites (agreed deal already successfully negotiated with the existing Fitzroy local council) and $0.5 million to attract players to make the club more competitive onfield. Nauru had agreed to lend a further $500,000 but when the government of Nauru was changed at the end of November 1995, the offer was withdrawn.

Fitzroy was $2.7 million in debt, of which $1.25 million was to one secured creditor. (Nauru). The Fitzroy debt of $1.25 million to the Nauru Insurance Company wasn't due to be paid back until 2001 and Fitzroy were meeting the repayments.

So $1 million was the requirement to keep Fitzroy in the competition and yet the same year the AFL was prepared to shell out $12 million for two mergers (North-Fitzroy and Melb/Haw).

I think the AFL want a Tasmanian team, but not at the cost of adding a 19th team. It sounds cold, but the AFL couldn't care less if North win 1 or 2 games this season because they probably want North to stay and Hawthorn to go, well that's my understanding. They want North to go down under. If our government are smart then they will get rid of North Melbourne and keep Hawthorn, go against what the AFL want. I don't feel too sorry for North though because they choose to play games in states to use for their own financial benefit, then proceed to whinge when relocation talks with them get brought up. Where are they going to go next? They've already played in like 3-4 different markets. I live in Tasmania and if North relocate then I'll buy a membership, but not now because they're still North and they are burning the Tas taxpayers money for their own financial benefit. It will give me another team to support instead of just a team that hasn't had success since 2004.

This whole notion that Tasmania don't want a relocated team isn't entirely true with everyone that lives here, as I'm one of them people that couldn't care either way. I just want a f****** team in Tasmania, whether it be relocated or brand new. The fact it's 2021 and there's still no Tassie team is a joke. The crowds in Hobart are low because they're still North Melbourne. That will change if they become a Tasmanian team and play games in the north and south.

As for Anzac Day, I couldn't care if we lose it due to the lopsided head to head Anzac Day wins count, and hate losing to Collingwood at the best of times.

My two cents

Part of the issue on this forum is that a certain North supporting poster is constantly kicking other clubs that may be conceived vulnerable due to limited growth factors or historical mismanagement creating legacy issues only now being corrected.
I think that if the attitude towards North were to change, it would require a concerted effort by North supporters to garner friendships in the fight for survival, rather than attempt to deflect attention and throw other teams to the wolves.

One swallow does not make a summer

lol you forgetting where you came from? You were a deadset laughing stock who lost to the inaugural Suns. Team going through rebuild with significant injuries gets belted by top 4 team - shock horror

I think Port relocated the tarps to either side of his face - real tunnel vision areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um yeah they did. The Fitzroy lions moved and merged with Brisbane Bears.

Umm, no they didn't.

Where you alive when this happened?

In 1996 I was (and remain to this day) a Fitzroy Football Club shareholder. I've been involved with the Club both before and after they were ejected from the AFL. Still involved.

Last edited:
Would rather we keep all the Victorian clubs exactly where they are instead of the AFL just manufacturing another generic club out of thin air. I don't think how profitable a club is should be a determinant of survival. Also, North don't have any pokies, which more clubs should be aspiring to do.

Money is needed to survive in afl.

The club can of course survive by being in another league.

Managed a whopping 13k after a year of no footy. Their attendances are propped up by opposition Vic clubs

... and the Bloods when we play them at Docklands. Our Melbourne based fans outnumber them.

Footscray fans vastly outnumbered North fans on GF.

Well, people keep posting about them...🤪
What does North Melbourne offer to the AFL?

A parasite is defined as an organism living within another organism in order to obtain nutrients, often in a state that directly or indirectly harms the host, or alternatively, something that resembles a biological parasite in the sense of living off, being dependent or, or exploiting another organism while giving little or nothing in return.

Sounds like North Melbourne to me.

What does North Melbourne offer to the AFL?

A parasite is defined as an organism living within another organism in order to obtain nutrients, often in a state that directly or indirectly harms the host, or alternatively, something that resembles a biological parasite in the sense of living off, being dependent or, or exploiting another organism while giving little or nothing in return.

Sounds like North Melbourne to me.

From the writer of the article...
"It is not a serious article. Come on, you’ve read my serious articles on the cricket tab.

This isn’t one. It was punched out in the space of about 45 mins last night as a joke to Liam’s non-comments around North."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back