Cronulla Sharks 2021

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Sharks down 12-16 to the Bulldogs in the opening trial game.

Disappointing as Sharks lead 12-0 at half time but did not score in the second half. Still, it is only a trial game.

No injuries. Duggan replaced at half time but should be fit for first round.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
For those interested Sharks lead 14-0 at half time in slippery conditions. Early days yet but our running game looks OK and thus far our defensive efforts look to have improved on last year.

Hopefully the Sharks do not do a disappearing act like last week's trial and we can rack up a big win. We have to play the other 7 of last year's top 8 over the first 10 rounds so we need some points up.

Chad Townsend appeared to turn an ankle in a tackle in the first half so hopefully his kicking game is not affected.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Aha, found it. I'd assumed we'd just be continuing last year's thread so didn't look for this one.

Anyway, at least today the patented second half lapse didn't hurt us. Not sure conceding 18 vs the possible spooners is particularly good form though.

Goalkicking something of a bonus for a change 👍

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I thought the fewer references to 2020 the better.
The old thread should be closed off. Not sure if I can close it and I may need a moderator to do it.

Back to 2020. We will take a win and it is our first win in the first round for something like 8 years. One of the Dragons second half tries came from a shocking bounce so that score line might have looked better.

I am not really expecting a lot this year as we have a very hard draw over the next few weeks and we will be missing our no1 play maker until round 10 at least. The NRL has not done us any favours.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Some pleasing signs in attack when you guys looked slick at times, Kennedy impressed, although Dufty's wonderful solo effort enlivened the game, the Dragons were, reliably, less than the sum of their parts. So yeah, tougher tests await.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ramien gets three weeks. There is an element of poor discipline creeping in, what with Graham and Townsend both getting suspended on the eve of last year's finals. Morris needs to get a hold of the situation. Mind you Hudson Young's hit on Luciano was as bad yet he walks without a case to answer.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Didn't see tonight but from reports we were at least competitive. 1/4 goalkicking the difference, which has been us for a while now. Disappointing for those of us who remember the Steve Rogers/Barry Andrews days 😉.

We do not have to go back that far, Jim Maloney will do. Chad Townsend's conversions have always been a problem, his field kicking is OK but off the tee he is simply not reliable.

We made several basic errors that cost us while in scoring positions. If you cannot hold onto the footy from a line drop out you are asking for trouble. If you are going to throw wild passes inside the 20 and only a couple of tackles into the set you burn your chances. That said Canberra had 60% of the play in the first half and could have been in front by more.

Our defence is solid but we have lost that attacking flair from last year. Maybe the loss of Shaun Johnson has a bit to do with that?

Good that we were competitive and good that we came back from a sluggish start but another disappointing result none the less.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
So do you *have* (as the commentators insist) to find room for Moylan when SJ returns? Kennedy is doing so well at full-back, surely he deserves to retain the shirt? Defence was very good, but Canberra were far from their best.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Moylan is lucky to still be on our list imo. He had a s**t house 2020 and I expected him to go. As I see it unless Moylan suddenly finds some outstanding form he slips to the substitute bench when Johnson is fit. Unfortunately that is not likely to be until round 10 at the earliest.

Kennedy is coming along nicely and if we want him to develop as a full back he has to stay in the side.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A tough game to hit so many injuries at once. You get the feeling if we can put a full-strength team on the park we might be thereabouts, but it's looking a bit iffy now. On the flip side, the Dragons have won their last two games so the win against them was probably more meritorious than it appeared at the time.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
A lot of good players this afternoon. Kennedy played his best game for us, Chad probably had his best kicking game for us, Moylan was good as was Tracey, Hiroti played well on the wing. Plenty of good players but that said the Cowboys were pathetic.

It would be nice if we could play a game without copping 3 or 4 injuries.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
i initially went for storm because it’s convenient and i knew pretty much nothing about the sport, but the sharks style i’ve really enjoyed the most in the last two seasons. the colours and aesthetic helps too. obviously life would be unhappier than supporting storm but i’m torn.

You can do it, get on board.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i initially went for storm because it’s convenient and i knew pretty much nothing about the sport, but the sharks style i’ve really enjoyed the most in the last two seasons. the colours and aesthetic helps too. obviously life would be unhappier than supporting storm but i’m torn.
I spent my entire working life without seeing the Sharks even make a GF. I was a student in 1978, where we were cheated out of the win (drew and lost the replay) then didn't get another chance for 38 years 😁. I was at both games - in 78 it cost me 50c, and in 2016 $300 😋.

Being a Sharks fan teaches resilience. Welcome aboard 😁.

nickroseville

Rookie
Aug 21, 2013
Sacramento, California
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
sacramento kings
i became a sharks fan(i have family in melbourne) after seeing yall win the grand final and the history behind it. i'm a sacramento kings fan and i feel our histories are similar (title droughts) in a way. i didnt hearthe result or see the game last night. fox soccer plus here didnt air the game, and triple M aired MMM 90s instead.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Strong performance, and all the makeshift backline deserve a lot of credit. But yeah, the Cowboys are a poor side.

Back