Port Adelaide FC
Grand Finals History

(SANFL/AFL/CoA)​

Minor Premiers
Minor Premierships:
47 [including SANFL – 2014]
Grand Finals: 38 [including CoA – 1890, 1913, 1914]
Record: 26-12 (68.42%)
Missed GF: 15 (28.30%) [including CoA - 1907, 1909, 1911; AFL - 2002, 2003, 2020]

---

Not Minor Premiers
Grand Finals:
31 [including CoA – 1910; SANFL – 2017, 2019]
Record: 12-19 (38.71%)

---

Overall
Grand Finals:
Record: 38-31 (55.07%)

---

Minor Premiers v. Not Minor Premiers
Grand Finals:
38-31
Grand-Final Wins: 26-12
Grand-Final Losses: 12-19

---

Note: For the Championship of Australia (CoA), it was considered the SANFL Minor Round ladder for Minor Premiership purposes.

As Minor Premiers, we had 53 Grand Finals to win. We have reached 38 of them (71,70%) and won 26 (49.06%).

Overall, we won 38 Grand Finals. As Minor Premiers, we won 26 of those (68.42%).

It seems to me that being Minor Premiers should matter.

As Minor Premiers, we had 53 Grand Finals to win. We have reached 38 of them (71,70%) and won 26 (49.06%).

Overall, we won 38 Grand Finals. As Minor Premiers, we won 26 of those (68.42%).

This is very silly analysis that takes almost no factors into consideration, there are far too many to list but here are just a few:

- The nature of the finals system in the AFL
- The competition is now national
- The grand final is played in Melbourne
- Professional league vs. Amateur leagues (and full time vs. part-time athletes)
- Equalisation measures
- Drafting, zones and academies

Of that sample of 53 grand finals, only 1 or 2 are even remotely relevant to the current state of play.

Last edited:
This is very silly analysis that takes almost no factors into consideration, there are far too many to list but here are just a few:

- The nature of the finals system in the AFL
- The competition is now national
- The grand final is played in Melbourne
- Professional league vs. Amateur leagues (and full time vs. part-time athletes)
- Equalisation measures
- Drafting, zones and academies

Of that sample of 53 grand finals, only 1 is even remotely relevant to the current state of play.
Where have you seen an analysis? It is just raw data.

Are the numbers wrong?

Where have you seen an analysis? It is just raw data.

Are the numbers wrong?

Yes, the numbers are wrong. Because you have literally smashed completely irrelevant numbers together to spit out some percentages then said "being minor premier does matter" as if it supported some sort of argument.

You’re better off analysing the AFL premiers since the current finals system was introduced, which was in 2000.

Essendon (2000)
Port Adelaide (2004)
West Coast (2006)
Geelong (2007)
Collingwood (2010)
Hawthorn (2013)

6 teams in 21 seasons have won the flag after being minor premiers.

You’re better off analysing the AFL premiers since the current finals system was introduced, which was in 2000.

Essendon (2000)
Port Adelaide (2004)
West Coast (2006)
Geelong (2007)
Collingwood (2010)
Hawthorn (2013)

6 teams in 21 seasons have won the flag after being minor premiers.
I’m aware of that. I’m not sure how the numbers actually are, but basically it’s a Top-3 thing.

I’m aware of that. I’m not sure how the numbers actually are, but basically it’s a Top-3 thing.

You’re better off looking at percentage through the home and away season. Pretty sure all premiers have come from teams that have a percentage over 130, so as long as we keep our percentage up it means we are good enough to win the flag.

Premier will come from Richmond, Dogs or us IMO.

Surely because the Dogs won their flag in 2016 that the AFL wouldn't be that desperate to rig another one for them, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They're still the team that benefits most from umpiring in the competition.

I'd rather mission impossible and attempt to beat Richmond at the G than have to play the Dogs + their own umpires. But if push comes to shove then beating the Bravedogs in a Grand Final would be super sweet.

Surely because the Dogs won their flag in 2016 that the AFL wouldn't be that desperate to rig another one for them, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They're still the team that benefits most from umpiring in the competition.

I'd rather mission impossible and attempt to beat Richmond at the G than have to play the Dogs + their own umpires. But if push comes to shove then beating the Bravedogs in a Grand Final would be super sweet.
Never forget how hard it was for the Victorians last year.

There isn't a team in the league we'd get favourable umpiring or general positive sentiment going our way against in a GF. We are as unfashionable as they come.

You’re better off looking at percentage through the home and away season. Pretty sure all premiers have come from teams that have a percentage over 130, so as long as we keep our percentage up it means we are good enough to win the flag.

Premier will come from Richmond, Dogs or us IMO.
Nah we are nowhere near those 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not going to post anything about Ports on game days any more. Yesterday I posted about an Eagles player stating very publicly how they were going to bring the pressure - exactly what happened. I also posted a puff piece on Zak Butters about how he always turns up - didn't turn up last night.

Might have to adopt the Macca pre-game philosophy.

A horse called Miss Mosh just won Race 8 at Penola. Jockeys silks were our chevron home jumper.

wtf?

They might get confused that he plays for Port Adelaide and the races are actually the AFL. This could be a disaster for our Guernsey sales.

Last edited:
There isn't a team in the league we'd get favourable umpiring or general positive sentiment going our way against in a GF. We are as unfashionable as they come.

So, I was just thinking about this:

- If we played any Victorian club in a Grand Final, the AFL wouldn't want us winning, so that's 10 clubs you can rule out.

- If we played Brisbane, Sydney, Gold Coast or GWS in a Grand Final, the AFL would much prefer a premiership in NRL heartland at our expense. So that's now 14 clubs you can rule out.

- If we played Fremantle in a Grand Final, the AFL would much prefer them winning their first flag instead of us winning our second. Now we're up to 15 clubs.

So that means the ONLY two clubs I don't think the AFL would be fussed about us beating in a Grand Final are Adelaide and West Coast, but even then we wouldn't get the favourable umpiring or positive sentiments.

Liked because a gaucho from Brazil has the passion and made the effort. ;)

A horse called Miss Mosh just won Race 8 at Penola. Jockeys silks were our chevron home jumper.

wtf?
Who picks the silks?? The horse owner or trainer? guys somebody is a Port fan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back