List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

meesy

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’ve wondered if we had something like 10 how much trading it with a future first would get us/ how high we could climb up

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’ve wondered if we had something like 10 how much trading it with a future first would get us/ how high we could climb up
Two years ago moving from pick 10 to pick 8 cost us pick 28. I.e. 10 & 28 for 8. We got Serong though so it was well worth it!
The same year GWS gave up 6 & their 2020 first for pick 4.
So that tells you moving from pick 13 to pick 3 this year to get Logan McDonald wouldn’t be possible.
When you want to move up a draft order the other team has you over a barrel and will screw you for all they are worth.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think there will be other KPFs pushing up. Don't just focus on the one local boy.
So long as we don't miss out on another 'Naughton' by ignoring local talent ;)

Van Rooyen is the only KPF prospect to have played League so far - he looked the goods on debut just like Naughton did. At this point in time he is the clear #1 KPF prospect. I'm already confident enough (in his ability to make it at AFL level) to say if he is available at our first pick we should take him.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
So long as we don't miss out on another 'Naughton' by ignoring local talent ;)

Van Rooyen is the only KPF prospect to have played League so far - he looked the goods on debut just like Naughton did. At this point in time he is the clear #1 KPF prospect. I'm already confident enough (in his ability to make it at AFL level) to say if he is available at our first pick we should take him.
What makes you think we ignored him? The club is clear that it takes best available early in the draft. It clearly didn’t rate Naughton as best available.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
A 17 year old KPF kicking 2-3 goals a game at WAFL league will be going top 5. Hell - that’s pick 1 level performance never mind top 5. Best not to think too much about him as the inevitable disappointment when he is selected before our pick will be easier to swallow.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
What makes you think we ignored him? The club is clear that it takes best available early in the draft. It clearly didn’t rate Naughton as best available.
Nah, just throwing back the same BS back at you from your original post. Nobody was only focussing just on the one local boy. He's quality, he's a KPF, he'd fit our needs. We should be talking about him - we shouldn't not talk about him because he is local. Anyway enough of this BS - you've wasted enough of my time on this forum.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Nah, just throwing back the same BS back at you from your original post. Nobody was only focussing just on the one local boy. He's quality, he's a KPF, he'd fit our needs. We should be talking about him - we shouldn't not talk about him because he is local. Anyway enough of this BS - you've wasted enough of my time on this forum.
Nothing like a smattering of personal abuse to get my day started.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle

Another mistake in a long line of mistakes. Making the wrong decisions at draft time has been the reasons for 20 years of misery.

DeanS

Club Legend
May 16, 2007
Tuart Hill
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
Must admit I always thought we worked to the theory of taking mid-fielders early in the draft and picked what KPPs we could either late in the draft or in rookie draft. Theory being it is less of a gamble using your prized early picks on mids as they develop more quickly. Not saying that thinking is right but it just seemed to be what we do.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Another mistake in a long line of mistakes. Making the wrong decisions at draft time has been the reasons for 20 years of misery.
The thing that frustrates me is how many amazing talls from WA (not at Freo) have just torn apart the competition and I can't remember the last time we drafted a WA tall forward (or even any tall forward using a decent pick really). West Coast have Kennedy, Darling, Allen, Waterman. All WA, all able to impact at AFL level. Is it just a coincidence/luck they have 4 and we have none? Or have our recruiters been blind to the quality talls coming out of WA? Or is it broader in that we refuse to invest in tall forwards altogether? I'd say it is a bit of both.

I do laugh when sitting at a derby and watching the different levels of confidence of each team's supporters when each team has the ball in their forward half. If WC get the ball outside 50 in space you just expect them to score - when they don't you are extremely relieved/surprised. Freo, you cross your fingers some sub 6' player can somehow out mark their 190cm defender so we get a shot at goal. And even if we get a shot at goal you expect them to miss and hope that you'll be wrong. Meanwhile JK or Darling take a set shot and you are shocked when it misses.

I have my opinions/theories about why it is this way but whatever it is, as a supporter I want it to change. I want to feel like we are going to score every time the ball comes near our goals like those a-hole WC supporters have had for years and years. It's pretty crazy our hope to have this feeling currently rests with an 18yo we took in the rookie draft late last year. If we are serious about winning our first premiership I think it is well past due to address this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
They seem to have put all the eggs in the trade basket in terms of KPFs. Just seems an unbalanced strategy. Anyway I am confident there are going to be a couple of options this draft. Maybe, just maybe, this time.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Must admit I always thought we worked to the theory of taking mid-fielders early in the draft and picked what KPPs we could either late in the draft or in rookie draft. Theory being it is less of a gamble using your prized early picks on mids as they develop more quickly. Not saying that thinking is right but it just seemed to be what we do.
It’s the safe approach, lazy, but gets you an A on draft night.
The strong clubs don’t have a gluten of first rounders available.
Sure they bend the rules, in business it’s called smart accounting.
Look at Blues, Dees, GC and now GWS, with Silvagni associated at 2 clubs.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
It’s the safe approach, lazy, but gets you an A on draft night.
The strong clubs don’t have a gluten of first rounders available.
Sure they bend the rules, in business it’s called smart accounting.
Look at Blues, Dees, GC and now GWS, with Silvagni associated at 2 clubs.

yeah I have no idea wheat they’re doing

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
KPF from WA and SA at the higher end of the scale should be safer bets than their Vic counterparts. They are allowed to play in a men’s state league. That’s a massive level of reassurance for recruiters. Vic players aren’t allowed to do that.
If a WA KPF is tearing it up at WAFL level like Logan amongst men last year, isn’t that a safer bet than a mid from the Nab league who never played senior?

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
[QUOTE="blue shark, post: 69381689, member: 84496"

WC have inside trading like information on WA boys.

wot
This is just tin foil hat horse sh*t
[/QUOTE]
They. Have better relationships with WAFL clubs, Just look at South Freo.
JLo at least understands the worth of the comp.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Makes my blood boil how badly Hogan fked us over. What a campaigner.

You can blame him, but ultimately we did it to ourselves.

Add ignoring Ryan and McGovern when we had plenty of opportunity to draft both.

We may’ve had some good wins on the field during the Lyon years but the * ups by the club continued on.

Let’s face it we (the club) has just stumbled from * up to * up since our inception.

They’re (the board) trying hard to change this so hopefully we’re on the right track now - finally!

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
A 17 year old KPF kicking 2-3 goals a game at WAFL league will be going top 5. Hell - that’s pick 1 level performance never mind top 5. Best not to think too much about him as the inevitable disappointment when he is selected before our pick will be easier to swallow.

Logan McDonald didn't go pick 1 and it is all relative to the talent that is around them. Let's wait till the end of the season before declaring anything; there is one thing even less palatable on this board and that is having said player be overlooked by our first pick.

Back