AFL Toast RND3: Win Against The Aints

Remove this Banner Ad

These posts are just cringworthy. Why does every second post about Hind have to imply he's as good or better than Saad? Let's see 3 consecutive top 3 best and fairest before we bang on about this.

Let's just enjoy Hind for a good replacement without always trying to downgrade the bloke we almost unanimously agreed was close to our best player.
Let em enjoy it... there’s plenty of more cringeworthy posts than that (pretty sure 90% of this thread was posted while drunk last night)

Apr 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Someone who is far most astute with the tactical side of football might say I am wrong, but being at the game, I didn’t see a Richmond carbon copy gameplan. I am seeing an Essendon gameplan developing.

It was also pleasing too see us take our time. When the Saints put on a hard press, we didn’t panic and bomb down the line, we waited, we hit targets and looked for something to present. Also helps when Jones is leading all the time.

Players are also becoming more trusting of one another. So many times I saw players leave their man with confidence knowing that someone else would take him.

Last edited:

Daniher, Fantasia, Saad and McKenna would’ve made bugger all difference to that result.

Just shows you how much more important effort and application is than individuals.
Honestly, thought Fantasia was one of the few players that stood up for Port last night

Seeing the side we put out, I'm still very confused.

I thought we'd do well to get with 4 goals.
Give the Saints autopsy thread a quick read and you’ll get a good indication of there side of the equation.

For all the positives in here there is an equal amount of negatives there.

Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't think anybody's claiming this will be the impetus to make us top four but that's kind of the point. There'll be a lot of pain this year so let's enjoy the times when it does come together.

We'll probably still finish bottom 6 but a week ago we were wondering if we would win any bar Norf.

The pleasing thing for me is we’re seeing this game style show up repeatedly. We saw it against Geelong in the preseason game, we saw it for a quarter (maybe a bit of the 1st quarter too) and then for 4 quarters yesterday.

Yep. We will have our beltings this year (Sydney at the SCG, and Brisbane at the Gabba coming up. Yikes). But we will have games like this also. We have a definite style of play and our players have proven that they have bought it to it and can execute it.

Sometimes you just need to beat the crap out of some s**t kickers to get everyone feeling good about themselves.

So many wholesome moments and first goals and warm and fuzzy moments.

Saints played Hind as a small forward. Their loss 😂

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
"Essendon has delivered a simply unbelievable 75-point thrashing of St Kilda"

"The Bombers put on a scintillating display."

"Bombers ruin lackluster Saints"

"Youthful Bombers humiliate Saints"

Good work men. Entertaining win.
I would’ve called it mystifying tbh. Saints stank but we haven’t put in a legitimate, disciplined, two way performance in years, possibly decades and to do it with no Hurley, Heppell, Ambrose, Draper, Stewart, Shiel, Caldwell and after losing 3 probably AA caliber players after last season is genuinely confusing. I’m trying not to be too glass half full here but I don’t see how we lose another game all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give the Saints autopsy thread a quick read and you’ll get a good indication of there side of the equation.

Yeah reads a lot like this place the last 2 rounds..

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

Just watch this 2 or 3 times.... bugger the replay

that’s a good highlights reel

key points

Waterboy will be a good forward. Kicks a country mile and has a beautiful low drop punt action. Strong overhead and built solid enough to crash through defenders and cause damage

Ham is a little workhorse with good foot skills

Hind can really drill a lovely low pass and is constantly aggressive at the ball and runs like a hare

Cox has also got a superb kicking action on him and drills passes. Looks very at ease at league level for young recruit

Jones will keep defenders busy with his constant leads and also has a great kicking action

We have recruited well.

Just need to bring that swarming attacking mindset every week for all four qrts.

Swans did the same stuff yesterday v Richmond and just dominated play.

we can do it too.

And then there’s Ridley. His calmness w
ith ball in hand making decisions and his impeccable timing in the air reminds of Neil Daniher and Sean Wellman.

He’s a gem of a player

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
These posts are just cringworthy. Why does every second post about Hind have to imply he's as good or better than Saad? Let's see 3 consecutive top 3 best and fairest before we bang on about this.

Let's just enjoy Hind for a good replacement without always trying to downgrade the bloke we almost unanimously agreed was close to our best player.
Agree. We’re all disappointed Saad left and everyone knows he’s a gun.

I’m very pleasantly surprised by Hind. Definitely helped plug the massive hole left by Saad. I’ll have to watch more closely to see if he defends as well as Saad.

Oct 6, 2020
Narre Warren South
AFL Club
Essendon
*, watching the replay was so good. It pretty much erased my bad memories of watching the second half of the Hawthorn game, which is good.

Dunno how we'll go against the Swans. They seem to be about a year or two ahead of us in regards to rebuild progress. So they should beat us, especially with Buddy back.

But like I also thought Saints would beat us yesterday, so you never know! Just gotta keep getting games into the kids, bringing the effort, and learning the gameplan and structures and we should be okay.

One of the things that I really loved was there were a few passages in the middle of the ground where it was Cox and Perkins using each other to clear a contest. It's nice when little things like that are being over shadowed by the overall performance, rather than us having to seek them out within bad losses.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Agree. We’re all disappointed Saad left and everyone knows he’s a gun.

I’m very pleasantly surprised by Hind. Definitely helped plug the massive hole left by Saad. I’ll have to watch more closely to see if he defends as well as Saad.
Hind's chase down on Billings. Gold.

Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I didn’t see a Richmond carbon copy gameplan. I am seeing an Essendon gameplan developing.

Agreed, as a mate and myself say we don't want to see Richmond cosplay out there.

Also, been catching up on the player threads, between March 27 and now is like the rumpus room with your mates over and then mum pokes her head in to make sure you're all behaving..

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

That thread is something else. Let’s also mention they started it during the game..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back