AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few people are commenting on the drop off of intensity in the last quarter today. I'm disappointed with the result of course, but just want to mention in case the critics aren't aware just how oppressive the conditions were out in the sun. Obviously the same for both teams but I think we rely so much on so few.

Also, last quarter was not short.

Oh and Shari Markson is tall and that is it. Over rated in the media, and in the game.

She was cowardly today. Really s**t her pants at just about every ruck contest. And any time the ball landed in her lap, her disposal skills were atrocious, as usual. Pathetic that her media profile secured her an All Australian selection last year.

Eleni Shitus paid it as holding the ball even though she handballed it in front and then was dragged down.

In fact, Eleni paid that one as a throw. She was blindsided by Jenna cleverly (and clearly) handballing just before she was tackled to draw a freekick for holding. Eleni could not see the handball as she was behind Jenna so she straight up guessed which way to pay it. It's okay that umpires are sometimes in the wrong spot to see an infringement but they can't guess free kicks. That's what Eleni does. The AFL is gifting this woman a grand final berth for the PR and it's a disgrace.

The emergence of GILLY
Seemed more like a season of natural progression for Gilroy, given that she finished 5th in the club B&F last year, only behind the usual Garner-Kearney-Riddell-Bruton sQuad. Bannister suits the profile of an emerging season a bit better.

She was cowardly today. Really sh*t her pants at just about every ruck contest. And any time the ball landed in her lap, her disposal skills were atrocious, as usual. Pathetic that her media profile secured her an All Australian selection last year.
Less likely to do with her media profile and probably more because of Sharelle McMahon's inconceivable presence on the selection panel.

Seemed more like a season of natural progression for Gilroy, given that she finished 5th in the club B&F last year, only behind the usual Garner-Kearney-Riddell-Bruton sQuad. Bannister suits the profile of an emerging season a bit better.

Less likely to do with her media profile and probably more because of Sharelle McMahon's inconceivable presence on the selection panel.

Oh yeah good shout. Loved DAZ this year then. I thought Gilly just stepped up hard this year and she's great fun to watch

Forgot I was on the AFLW thread for a moment and thought this was an elaborate trolling attempt
This team was built from scratch to start with.
A super star squad was brought together .
Unlucky in year 1 with the draw.
Unlucky in year 2 with Corvid would had the chance to play for a chance of a premiership.
Year 3 other teams have got better we sacked a coach to save $$$$ because of Corvid cut backs.
This team has a few over rated players we got run over in the heat against a team of goers we should have won but didn’t.
This team has gone backwards unless there is some good drafting and tradings I expect this team to stay around where they are.

Ah well now we make list changes I think 4-5 is the usual turnover
(take our 2 best tassie players late in the draft in Perri King and Amy Prokopiec and maybe 2-3 players before them from vic)

you’d think 4-5 of the below 6 would be gone

1. K Cox (last in first out)
2. Nestor
3. Hammond
4. smith
5. gibson
6. brooke brown

Need to find some more talls at both ends.
KGJ isn’t up to it
Saad tries hard and is developing but makes to many errors.
Down back the KPD are to slow and can’t kick.

Team is like the men’s team from a few years back - rely on to few to win games.

Other than the big four mids - think gilroy and Ashmore were our best.

If KGJ played trying to hurt the opposition she would be unstoppable. I think she provides a good big body but she just seems to be careful not to hurt anyone.

Grace Campbell was outstanding. There was a bit where she went to ground pretty heavily and her opponent tried to help her up and she refused the help, got up and shoved her. We need mor of the girls to play with this type of aggression.

Kashy was awesome, she has had a really good consistent season. She looked like the one that was going to save the day when they got a run on in the last.

I reckon we missed Mia King, she is a hard nut.

We can't pull the anti-North conspiracy card I'm afraid. I knew before the game the conditions favoured Collingwood because they are younger and fitter than us and have a more even spread of contributors a lot of the time.

All that being said, this is a genuine North Melbourne side - in that you know that week in week out the girls will give a good account of themselves and are a genuine chance in every single game. Really shattered for them, but there's a lot to build on (and work on) for 2022.

Go Roos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seemed to me that we took a calculated risked at the beginning of the last quarter and it failed badly. For the first two minutes, we literally swarmed all over Collingwood in an apparent effort to deliver a quick knockout. When Collingwood held up (luckily), I reckon we’d burnt our remaining petrol tickets. At the beginning of the season, we were able to outlast teams. However, as the season progressed, we seemed to struggle more to run out games. Did we not train hard enough?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ah well now we make list changes I think 4-5 is the usual turnover
(take our 2 best tassie players late in the draft in Perri King and Amy Prokopiec and maybe 2-3 players before them from vic)

you’d think 4-5 of the below 6 would be gone

1. K Cox (last in first out)
2. Nestor
3. Hammond
4. smith
5. gibson
6. brooke brown
Gibson won't be delisted, we really missed her this season, she is more versatile and mobile than Nestor, Grierson and Duffin and is one of the teams better kicks. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Gillespie-Jones and Grierson are considered for trade ahead of Gibson.

I would also think that Duffin may consider retirement, she turns 32 shortly and isn't as mobile as she was before the birth of her child. She was still a good player this season, but she may feel she can't play to the level she did previously.

One of things we were really lacking this season was a marking forward, but we had one on the list, Georgia Hammond. She wasn't bad in the her first appearance so we may consider keeping her on the list, unless one becomes available through trade or the draft.

Last edited:
Gibson won't be delisted, we really missed her this season, she is more versatile and mobile than Nestor, Grierson and Duffin and is one of the teams better kicks. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Gillespie-Jones and Grierson are considered for trade ahead of Gibson.

I would also think that Duffin may consider retirement, she turns 32 shortly and isn't as mobile as she was before the birth of her child. She was still a good player this season, but she may feel she can't play to the level she did previously.

One of things we were really lacking this season was a marking forward, but we had one on the list, Georgia Hammond. She wasn't bad in the her first appearance so we may consider keeping her on the list, unless one becomes available through trade or the draft.
Brooke Brown kicked 4 in the VFLW but got suspended. I think she may be the tall forward we are looking for. I’m not sure that she has the athleticism that Melbourne seems to have in abundance with their rangy tall players.

Brooke Brown kicked 4 in the VFLW but got suspended. I think she may be the tall forward we are looking for. I’m not sure that she has the athleticism that Melbourne seems to have in abundance with their rangy tall players.
Yeah, either Hammond or Brooke Brown is an option to keep, but Brown didn't look very comfortable in her AFLW debut, admittingly that was against Collingwood who are a tougher opponent than Richmond (Hammond's debut game) and she is 5 years younger which is in her favour.

This team was built from scratch to start with.
A super star squad was brought together .
Unlucky in year 1 with the draw.
A strong list was built but it wasn't a "super star squad," we only recruited two All-Australians. Garner and Riddell, for example, only became top players at North Melbourne, while Bruton barely even got midfield time at the Bulldogs.

And we were smashed by the two best teams in year 1, nothing to do with luck.

Unlucky in year 2 with Corvid would had the chance to play for a chance of a premiership.
Year 3 other teams have got better we sacked a coach to save $$$$ because of Corvid cut backs.
This team has a few over rated players we got run over in the heat against a team of goers we should have won but didn’t.
This team has gone backwards unless there is some good drafting and tradings I expect this team to stay around where they are.
Year 2 was nevertheless assisted by Erin Phillips being crippled, lucky. We only narrowly defeated Collingwood in conditions that suited us, lost to Melbourne, and didn't play the other 2 top-4 teams. There's only flimsy evidence to suggest we were a better team last season.

A strong list was built but it wasn't a "super star squad," we only recruited two All-Australians. Garner and Riddell, for example, only became top players at North Melbourne, while Bruton barely even got midfield time at the Bulldogs.

And we were smashed by the two best teams in year 1, nothing to do with luck.

Year 2 was nevertheless assisted by Erin Phillips being crippled, lucky. We only narrowly defeated Collingwood in conditions that suited us, lost to Melbourne, and didn't play the other 2 top-4 teams. There's only flimsy evidence to suggest we were a better team last season.
I think it’s a bit glass half full/empty. We only just lost to Melbourne this year and last on their deck. I’d back us in at home or a neutral venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back