Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Speculative because he didn't play at under18s. McDonald did. And given the midfielders draft this year it was ill-considered. I don't know how you can deny either of those points. Not to mention we need a key position forward more than a midfielder.

We do? We need good players period. Getting smashed all over the park.

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, nah. Don't agree with any of this.

FYI, there was a proper reason we got rid of BB. And you are underrating Phillips. This will be apparent in a year or so.

Yeah, I keep hearing that there was reason for trading BB, but I haven't seen anything beyond rumours and snide remarks. Perhaps you could enlighten as to why we traded a player who for three years kicked over 50 goals, especially as we have such great stocks to replace him?

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, I keep hearing that there was reason for trading BB, but I haven't seen anything beyond rumours and snide remarks. Perhaps you could enlighten as to why we traded a player who for three years kicked over 50 goals, especially as we have such great stocks to replace him?
Probably because no one could predict comben to break a leg?

I could, but I won't. Let's just say that plenty of people know the reasons and some of the 'speculative' stuff that was posted in the past few months was correct.

I truly don't care if you choose not to believe it.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

We traded Brown because he wouldn't agree to a contract.

Yeah, nah. Don't agree with any of this.

FYI, there was a proper reason we got rid of BB. And you are underrating Phillips. This will be apparent in a year or so.
I try to ignore it everytime I see it written, but it's still drives me crazy like a mozzie bite.....

CAN SOME PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE ME THE PROPER REASON FOR BB'S DEPARTURE!?!?!?!

Sent from my SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
Strange how you think a criticism of our taking a small midfielder at 3 over a key position player is tearing him to shreds ...

Mate if I could somehow harvest the amount of petulant angst from those around here who wanted us to take McDonald into some form of energy source I would never have to pay my electricity bill again. Your comment wasn't even the one I was responding to.

It's fairly clear the Brown's non-football views played a big part in his departure.

LOL, this is an enormous pile of s**t.

The thing that played the only deciding role in his departure is the state of his knee and whether we felt is justified the four years he wanted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Swans can afford to use top 5 picks on Western Australian KPFs when their academy pumps out a top five local mid every year.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
LOL, this is an enormous pile of sh*t.

The thing that played the only deciding role in his departure is the state of his knee and whether we felt is justified the four years he wanted.

That same knee we had known about for years?

All of a sudden it became a problem?

LOL, this is an enormous pile of sh*t.

No, incorrect.

There were football reasons and non-football reasons that converged over time in the weeks / months after his manager injudiciously rejected the big contract. That bullet dodged, it was decided that on balance, Ben was no longer required.

No-one was ignoring his ability. They just didn't think he was worth retaining in the circumstances.

No, true.

The whole "Browns off field views made us chuck him" bullshit falls down at the very first hurdle which is that Brown's off field views mirror the club's stance to a tee,.

That same knee we had known about for years?

All of a sudden it became a problem?

It became a problem when he wanted four years and we only were willing to give three.

No, true.

The whole "Browns off field views made us chuck him" bullshit falls down at the very first hurdle which is that Brown's off field views mirror the club's stance to a tee,.

Some of them do, sure, but not all of them.

And within the organisation, the footballers are expected to prioritise football.

No, incorrect.

There were football reasons and non-football reasons that converged over time in the weeks / months after his manager injudiciously rejected the big contract. That bullet dodged, it was decided that on balance, Ben was no longer required.

No-one was ignoring his ability. They just didn't think he was worth retaining in the circumstances.

Ben didn't cover himself in glory in The Hub sure.

But his off field political views had nothing to do with it.

And if he were 25 with a good knee, he could have done an upper decker in Brady's dunny every night of the hub and he'd still be with us.

The fact he 's NOT PLAYING this week due to his CROOK KNEE should put this furphy to rest once and for all imo.

Some of them do, sure, but not all of them.

And within the organisation, the footballers are expected to prioritise football.

And if he were 24 again right now, on track to kick our first tonne since Malcolm Blight, we would be giving him all the time he needs for whatever off field s**t he wants to do.

It was his knee.

So it wouldn’t have been a problem for three seasons, but untenable for four?

Yes.

That's literally what our head of football Brady Rawlings decided.

Hmmm, who to believe, Brady Rawlings, or MAIL dreamed up by some internet dudes lol.

Ben didn't cover himself in glory in The Hub sure.

But his off field political views had nothing to do with it.

And if he were 25 with a good knee, he could have done an upper decker in Brady's dunny every night of the hub and he'd still be with us.

The fact he 's NOT PLAYING this week due to his CROOK KNEE should put this furphy to rest once and for all imo.

Yes, if was was 25 with a good knee, I agree that he probably would have been brought back to the negotiating table. Some other conditions might have been added to the contract, though.

This is why I said the entirety of the decision to trade him was made up of both football and non-football components.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back