Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast, Rd 3 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs to fix this asap.

He marked the ball in a similar spot against Sydney but quickly passed it off to Lynch who missed anyway.

I was not happy.
He looks overly concerned about accuracy and doesnt kick the ball hard enough. He's psyching himself out. Even the goal he kicked to win the game was way too short.

He looks overly concerned about accuracy and doesnt kick the ball hard enough. He's psyching himself out. Even the goal he kicked to win the game was way too short.
Yep,looks much better on the snap when it's more of an instinctive thing.

He's got the legs of a 12 year old. He physically can't kick it further than 30m. And he doesn't look like he'll get any bigger.

There was one play in Q1 where he gathered and looked to handball to Seedsman I think who was running past on the outside.

Mid-handball he sensed that Seedsman would get boxed in so held onto it and turned back inside. Sent a couple of defenders the wrong way.

Made it look so simple but that type of awareness has been so lacking in our midfielders for a long time (even including Dangerfield and Sloane). It's S Mitchell, Pendlebury stuff.

Spot on. And this is where Brad Crouch would have handballed to Seed to just get tackled/lose the ball. Brad sold his team mates in to trouble so often it was frustrating. Just lacked that awareness and class that Shoenberg already has.

Spot on. And this is where Brad Crouch would have handballed to Seed and gotten tackled/lost the ball. Brad sold his team mates in to trouble so often it was frustrating. Just lacked that awareness and class that Shoenberg already has.
And he kicked the goal on the angle that Berry and Scholl couldn't.

I thought as a group their midfielders beat us easily. They had clean clearances and dominated the centre.In the first 3 games this year, it’s the spread that we were beaten at. That’s an area we need to improve as well.
Frampton gets to great positions and runs hard but continuously drops the mark. He rarely gets out marked as well but I don’t know if he’ll make it

We've suffered clearance quality issues for years. We basically roll with a brute force method whereas our opponents tend to slice us up with precision movement. It's not a new thing. Hopefully the kids can move us beyond this issue.

Last edited:
The masochist in me just sat through nearly 2 hours of Channel 9 drivel/ Bulldogs-bliss, waiting for them to review the Crows/Suns game to which they gave lip service:
--- they panned the Suns chip-chip possession game plan, without mentioning that Crows' coaches made changes which nullified its effectiveness after the 20-2 start
--- claimed the Suns allowed Smithers and Seeds to waltz through the game doing as they pleased (it couldn't be that they just played well :rolleyesv1: )
--- explained that the Crows are 'hungry' but doubt that will be "enough" (Kornes), whatever that means
--- summarised Tex's resurgence as due to his increased fitness, making no mention of improved Hart-less forward structure or delivery to him
--- but did make a good point about Sloane's lifting his game and toughing them back into it
--- no love for Keays, no mention of the rookies' effectiveness or not.

I should've known better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it's a bit late for this but first chance to post after the game!

GOOD:
Team effort to stay in the game and then continue to work hard at the right things, led to a great win over another rising team. I can see a big change in the attitude and aptitude in general, we may have finally weeded out the bad apples/stats padders? Had to give Taylor Walker a special mention, he is in rare form at the moment. Great game from Rory Sloane, his best for about three seasons. Solid contributions again from the central core, note that Gold Coast has a strong midfield, even without Matt Rowell. Love the way Ben Keays again worked hard and some great cameos from the younger brigade, consistency though still a challenge there. Goalkicking was better but still some embarrassing misses that did not even make the distance. Was good to see Riley O'Brien improve as the game went on, but Jarrod Witts has consistently dined out on us, even when we were well beating Gold Coast in the past, was a lucky break for us when he was hurt after Hugh Greenwood pushed Riley O'Brien into his knee (I would have this last bit as a bad but it fits in here). Finally had to mention the crowd support for the team, on the box it was nothing short of sensational, big plus for everyone at the game well done to all!

BAD:
The first five minutes were woeful, we were not ready for the start of the game for some reason and credit to us we managed to stop the bleeding. We had a couple of quiet performances, but one that surprised me a bit was Luke Brown, he was down on pace and agility, surely he was tested for fitness prior to the game? I know a lot of people on here are calling for Billy Frampton to be dropped, he was quiet but at this point not sure we have a better option, I would love to be proved wrong, and he is acceptable as a second ruck. I raised this last week and it got worse, the umpiring really is hard to follow and consistency has gone out of the window, again it seems like they are badly out of form.

UGLY:
Mark Riccuito's special comments, how bad can this guy be? I know he is trying not to be favouring Adelaide, he succeeded. Surely Fox needs to stop this now.
All of a sudden this team will be favourite to win next week against woeful North Melbourne, this will be a whole new level of pressure for the youngsters in the side, and North are already getting the living suitcase beaten out of them by the media, they will be under immense pressure to show something!

LOL

Did you engage your brain at all before you hit reply?
Umm yes, Luko is not this superstar this board made him out to be before the draft, he's not worthy of a match winner style contact. He's a very solid skilled player but he's not winning games off his own back.
He himself has said he doesn't like the fishbowl of SA. Maybe the development on the Gold Coast isn't great or he's being played out of position.
He looks disinterested whenever I've watch gold coast games, a bit like our McAsey maybe it's his personality.

Just because we have differing opinions on a player doesn't mean I don't have a brain I think that was a little uncalled for

Umm yes, Luko is not this superstar this board made him out to be before the draft, he's not worthy of a match winner style contact. He a very solid skilled player but he's not winning games off his own back.
He himself has said he doesn't like the fishbowl of SA. Maybe the development on the Gold Coast isn't great or he's being played out of position.
He looks disinterested whenever I've watch gold coast games, a bit like our McAsey maybe it's his personality.
Then we'll agree to disagree, he is the most skilled tall lad I've ever seen at his age and he sets up so many scoring opportunities for his team with his unbelievably good foot skills whether it be short arrow like passes or 55m low flying missiles. No player wins games off their own back by the way, it's a team game and the way Luko sets up plays for his team is elite.

Umm yes, Luko is not this superstar this board made him out to be before the draft, he's not worthy of a match winner style contact. He's a very solid skilled player but he's not winning games off his own back.

Just because we have differing opinions on a player doesn't mean I don't have a brain I think that was a little uncalled for
Just stop.

It's embarassing

McPherson took some

He did, but he doesn't get the penetration that Smith does. Very few players do.
If he plays on out of the square he can just about roost it to the wing.

It's a huge advantage for us.

UGLY:
Mark Riccuito's special comments, how bad can this guy be? I know he is trying not to be favouring Adelaide, he succeeded. Surely Fox needs to stop this now.
All of a sudden this team will be favourite to win next week against woeful North Melbourne, this will be a whole new level of pressure for the youngsters in the side, and North are already getting the living suitcase beaten out of them by the media, they will be under immense pressure to show something!
The part where Roo was saying Witts was going to come back on when you could clearly see his knee being iced was hilarious.

This is a good example of posting while under the influence. Did you not watch him Friday. So smooth. 19 disposals all to effect, 9 marks.

Luko is a great player but I don't think he is a pressing need for us. Certainly not given how much it would cost to obtain him.

A classy elite midfielder is a much bigger priority. Forget him and Rankine until that's sorted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back