Autopsy Play the kids they said, it will be good they said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
why i hate what Scott did to our club...

* he promoted Joyces well above Cam's station and Cam was known as Brad's secretary
* he controlled the club, he had the final say on the side picked, his call.
* he didn't turn up to training until late Jan , " as the season was so long he'd struggle to make it".
* Did not hold players accountable
* Did not feel that the the players needed to train to improve their skills, as they'd made it this far. An ex Hawks players who is at North couldn't believe we didn't practice our skills.
* kept players on the list to long
* removed the shinboner spirit
* make it ok to not win- celebrated a ninth season finish FFS.
* milked our club of good coin.
* I was told before he started that he was a stats driven coach and didn't have a great feel for the game, I think he proved that.
* he made us mediocre.
* No one else offered him a gig or Joyces, that normally tells you something.
* yes we have to take some responsibility for this mess of course.
Brayshaw- twit !!
* Not sure we can go him on recruiting, as I don't know about that. fu** it let's hang him for that as well lol

Yeah, I forgot to mention that when it dawned on me that he was only in it for the pay cheque, which was proven by his insistence on being paid out his contract for a year that he wasn't there, then that was when I became 100% non-fan.

Think of how often he spouted "I'll always do the right thing by the club" but the reality was that he was only ticking along to pick up the big salary and had no intention of implementing genuine improvement. This is a kick in the guts to all true supporters.

I've seen a fair chunk of norths first three games and their first quarters against the power and dogs were very good. However the only tall target is larkey, you need a proper second target down there, not Walker. You simply don't get value for effort when you play well and players lose belief as the scoreboard doesn't give confidence.
You have a midfield of Cunnington 200+ games, Simpkin, ldu, Stephenson and Simpkin all50+ games which is exciting and is your strength, but you see them stream out of the centre and theres nothing to kick too.

Was polecs injury that serious or has he thrown in the towel already and happy to be paid the big bucks?
Goldy looks like he's gone a year too long, maybe he has to play predominantly fwd with short spells in the ruck.
Atley racks up cheap possessions, he should be suited to the ruke change and providing a springboard out of defence, instead of chipping the ball 20 metres sideways, where half his kicks don't hit a target.
Powell needs a few weeks back in the twos, to get his confidence back, he made a couple of bad decisions kicking the ball into the corridor

I think the fwd half is the biggest issue

Mostly agree, Trent, but you have missed the mark re Powell.

To many references to * for my liking 😂

On a serious note - agree with all.

He was never proactive- always a few steps behind other clubs.
Also the amount of 2nd rounders we drafted that turned or were 💩 was mind boggling.
You’d think we’d of found a few guns in those 10 years.

the recruiting is a separate issue though. And yes it was bad, real bad , like s**t bad

Yeah, I forgot to mention that when it dawned on me that he was only in it for the pay cheque, which was proven by his insistence on being paid out his contract for a year that he wasn't there, then that was when I became 100% non-fan.

Think of how often he spouted "I'll always do the right thing by the club" but the reality was that he was only ticking along to pick up the big salary and had no intention of implementing genuine improvement. This is a kick in the guts to all true supporters.
Cannot think of many Coaches or business people that have not been payed out their contract even no they are not there anymore just does not happen.

I've seen a fair chunk of norths first three games and their first quarters against the power and dogs were very good. However the only tall target is larkey, you need a proper second target down there, not Walker. You simply don't get value for effort when you play well and players lose belief as the scoreboard doesn't give confidence.
You have a midfield of Cunnington 200+ games, Simpkin, ldu, Stephenson and Simpkin all50+ games which is exciting and is your strength, but you see them stream out of the centre and theres nothing to kick too.

Was polecs injury that serious or has he thrown in the towel already and happy to be paid the big bucks?
Goldy looks like he's gone a year too long, maybe he has to play predominantly fwd with short spells in the ruck.
Atley racks up cheap possessions, he should be suited to the ruke change and providing a springboard out of defence, instead of chipping the ball 20 metres sideways, where half his kicks don't hit a target.
Powell needs a few weeks back in the twos, to get his confidence back, he made a couple of bad decisions kicking the ball into the corridor

I think the fwd half is the biggest issue

Most is on point but Goldy call is way off. Has been going well but not as dominating as his getting asked to do to much, with little support.
LDU has played about 30 games due to injury - half as much as cerra/brayshaw.
Polec is heartless
Atley is limited and pretty dumb in footballing terms. I reckon Andrew jarman could get around him.
Powell is a kid - still learning and more than holding his own.

Cannot think of many Coaches or business people that have not been payed out their contract even no they are not there anymore just does not happen.

Oh pup, you don't have to look far. Don Pyke was shown the door at Adelaide soon after Scott left us. He waived his right to be paid for the next year. Tom Boyd left the Dogs mid-contract and cut any conversation on it short by saying he was not willing to take another cent from them after he left, even though there would have been a legal settlement under his contract.

Out of 3 people saying they will do the right thing by their club, these two walked the talk. The other guy didn't.

I was a Brad supporter until half time of round 1, 2019.

To turn out a team so utterly unprepared for a new season, subject to new rules that he was involved in developing, after talking the big talk all summer, was unforgivable and insulting.

I was also embarrassed personally when I realised he had been all talk for a few seasons and I had been unwilling to see it.

He was a competent enough coach in his early years, but his ambition exceeded his abilities, e.g strong control over the football department, and the fallout is disastrous.
He was good with the media. We needed a him at the time. He developed a decent game plan where the ball was pushed wide and then moved through CHB. I cant put my finger on why we choked on a big bag of dicks when we were playing against bottom 8 teams..

So Brad being so hands on got LDU some on here regard him as going to be 1 of the elite mids in the comp, Simpkins future capt by many Larkey and Mckay to very good promising KPP along with TT Zurhaar just to name a few.The draft will always have hit and misses no different to all teams If we are going to judge him on 3 key defenders we must also judge him on the above mention. PS it is always good to hear other views like yours without the you must be a Brad lover crap.

I think our drafting post 2017 was okay. In regards to LDU, I think we cannot ignore the fact he was clearly best available given many thought he’d go pick 2. Our decision to take Will Walker was also questionable, but I get that’s perhaps being hypercritical.

I agree with your points, however this was not just 1 draft (the 3 KPD draft). There was also the Queensland draft where we used 2 second rounders on Williams & Watson, as well as the Mountford, Clarke, Hibberd, Wagner draft. There’s always going to be hits and misses (2020 will likely have some misses despite Powell, Phillips and Laz looking very good), however I think it’s fair to say that we had more misses then hits, with our drafting & development (particularly from 2011-2016) being a big contributor to our current list.

Brad & Joyce (particularly) just have to wear some responsibility for that, given that Luff, Brady, Clayton, Noble were not even at the club.

Oh pup, you don't have to look far. Don Pyke was shown the door at Adelaide soon after Scott left us. He waived his right to be paid for the next year. Tom Boyd left the Dogs mid-contract and cut any conversation on it short by saying he was not willing to take another cent from them after he left, even though there would have been a legal settlement under his contract.

Out of 3 people saying they will do the right thing by their club, these two walked the talk. The other guy didn't.
Yeah you are dead right with them two and good on them for doing so big pat on the back but like i said it is very few and far between . But it is not like Scott is the only coach to do this the majority do so that is why we have contracts. It happens with players all the time clubs paying some of there contract even know they dont even play for the club anymore.

I think our drafting post 2017 was okay. In regards to LDU, I think we cannot ignore the fact he was clearly best available given many thought he’d go pick 2. Our decision to take Will Walker was also questionable, but I get that’s perhaps being hypercritical.

I agree with your points, however this was not just 1 draft (the 3 KPD draft). There was also the Queensland draft where we used 2 second rounders on Williams & Watson, as well as the Mountford, Clarke, Hibberd, Wagner draft. There’s always going to be hits and misses (2020 will likely have some misses despite Powell, Phillips and Laz looking very good), however I think it’s fair to say that our drafting & development (particularly from 2011-2016) is a big contributor to our current list.

Brad & Joyce (particularly) just have to wear some responsibility for that, given that Luff, Brady, Clayton, Noble were not even at the club.
Yeah all good points Psicosis.

It was all just such a self-satisfied, wank that he told everyone how he would unselfishly step aside if the club asked him to. What a good bloke. He was willing to allow his employer to sack him. FFS. What right of refusal does anyone have in that situation? What was he going to do, take up residence in the coaches' box at Docklands and refuse to leave?

Yeah you are dead right with them two and good on them for doing so big pat on the back but like i said it is very few and far between . But it is not like Scott is the only coach to do this the majority do so that is why we have contracts. It happens with players all the time clubs paying some of there contract even know they dont even play for the club anymore.

I agree that with the majority of commercial transactions, where there is a payout due under the contract it is typically accepted (enforced).

What stinks is this bloke repeatedly playing the "I'm being selfless here" card, by consistently repeating that he would always do the best for the club. Turns out that this was just another element of the Brad sham. Yes, in the final few years, it was a sham.

Last edited:
In some alternate reality, this was the team we named against the Bulldogs:

FB: Williams, Walker, Pittard
HB: Atley, McKay, MacMillan
C: Polec, Cunnington, Higgins
HF: Zurhaar, Brown, Thomas,
FF: McKernan, Larkey, Turner
R: Goldstein, Simpkin, Ziebell
INT: Anderson, Tyson, Hall, Wood

I wonder what the criticisms would have been when that team loses by 10+ goals.

too old, too slow, too one paced and too bluecollar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That team genuinely makes me sick

Forwards will come along fine, you only need 1 key forward. Midfield entry and systematic transition of the ball is game changer. Then there’s match fitness.

On a related subject - does anyone have any information as to why the club decided against taking Sam Skinner in the last draft? He would probably have been useful to this point, no?

McKernan is a nice touch.

On a related subject - does anyone have any information as to why the club decided against taking Sam Skinner in the last draft? He would probably have been useful to this point, no?
He seemed relatively immobile to me. Better off playing Josh Walker who can jump and get to contests.

We kept a spot on the list to draft the best young talent available in the mid season draft.
Rightly so IMO. With the year off underage footy due to COVID, there is sure to be a couple of young guns who missed getting drafted, who put their hand up to get picked mid season.
Almost certainly, we will have first crack...

We kept a spot on the list to draft the best young talent available in the mid season draft.
Rightly so IMO. With the year off underage footy due to COVID, there is sure to be a couple of young guns who missed getting drafted, who put their hand up to get picked mid season.
Almost certainly, we will have first crack...

Cheers, makes sense. Especially when you consider the club had factored in what you note in the last line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back