Strachan
O'Connor
Latchford
Inter Boyle Matthew Clarke Marshman

Boyle

Matthews
Clarke
Marshman

If anything, the game has turned back to the Lynch role. That connector who can quickly move the ball back inside is absolutely essential again.

I think people are seeing what they want to see with Lynch. He was excellent week one and perfectly fine against GCS - 15 disposals at 87% efficiency is not bad. He just has very visible errors the couple of times a game has stuffs something up, but he's also there to play an attacking role.

Disagree to an extent. The game has moved from forwards needing to play that high-half forward role, to that role being useless, and now to midfielders being the inside 50 distributors.

The game has moved to the point where the coalface ball winners are expected to distribute the ball directly or via the minimal number of outside players quickly to leading forwards. Lynch's strength was always his ability to contribute up the ground AND inside 50 due to his gut running. Today, the game is faster and more direct than ever and it's giving Lynch no opportunity to have an influence inside 50.

At his best, Lynch was averaging 18-20 touches AND 1.5 goals a game AND 1-2 marks inside 50 AND 8 score involvements. He was the "connector" between our midfield and forward line, essentially playing both those roles, and playing both roles to an elite level.

What we are getting out of Lynch today is not the same. Since the start of 2018 - and similar this year - he is only able to play half his role. We're still getting 16-18 touches and (currently) 7 score involvements, but we're not getting anything from him as a forward. Last two seasons averaged just 0.5 goals a game (1 goal total this year) and he's had just 34 marks inside 50 in total since the start of 2018. He had 40 MI50 in 2017 alone, and now he's down to under 1 per match.

So this mythical "Lynch role" is just not a thing any more. We don't need to hold up other players to some standard of needing to play high up the ground and inside 50 at the same time, because Lynch himself is not doing this.

I hate it when I disagree with King Elvis

My problem with Fog being the “connector” is that it blunts his greatest strength and that’s his kicking for goal. Fog needs to be the closest player to goal of anyone on the ground, at all times.

I’m open to be convinced otherwise, though.

Aim is to get him in the side - this is the most realistic way.

Lynch's decline coincided with us going to the snail-paced chip backwards or bomb high ball movement pattern

The shorter passing game should suit him.

The issue for him is whether he can apply enough defensive pressure to complement our other forwards.

It's felt at times in the past that we have to carry defence-first forwards like Murphy, Knights, maybe McHenry now to offset the lack of defence from some of our other forwards.

Lynch's decline coincided with us going to the snail-paced chip backwards or bomb high ball movement pattern

The shorter passing game should suit him.

The issue for him is whether he can apply enough defensive pressure to complement our other forwards.

It's felt at times in the past that we have to carry defence-first forwards like Murphy, Knights, maybe McHenry now to offset the lack of defence from some of our other forwards.
That's where having Berry, Rowe and McAdam up there buzzing around changes the structure for the better

Gonna be some player when he has a good game.
View attachment 1093771
Honestly watching the game, did you think he had a significant positive influence?

Lynch was fantastic in our 1st game v Cats, but imo he hardly had any impact last Friday night & was labouring. Wasn't good against the Swans.

Stats don't always tell the full story.

In my opinion we need to replace Lynch and Frampton together with Fogarty and Thilthorpe. Not because one of these players is a direct replacement for the other, but because as a combination they should be superior and give us a future-looking forward line

Thilthorpe - Elite skills. Can replace Lynch's contribution outside 50 with laser passes from the wing while being a better inside 50 contested marking target than Frampton. Can also play ruck despite many not wanting him there.

Fogarty - Can replace Lynch's inside 50 non-performance by being a better lead up target and much stronger shot for goal, but can play mostly deeper like Frampton does. Can also pinch hit inside midfield which neither Lynch nor Frampton can do.

Honestly watching the game, did you think he had a significant positive influence?

Lynch was fantastic in our 1st game v Cats, but imo he hardly had any impact last Friday night & was labouring. Wasn't good against the Swans.

Stats don't always tell the full story.
He wasn't at his absolute best certainly but still very effective in the role plays....it's just the normal Adelaide board pile on, good stories always better than the facts.

He wasn't at his absolute best certainly but still very effective in the role plays....it's just the normal Adelaide board pile on, good stories always better than the facts.
Disagree & did make sure to watch him closely off ball as was concerned he was labouring. I have seen enough of Lynch live over the years to see when he is on song.

I'm not saying permanently kick him out of the team as he showed he was a gun in round 1... but after 2 poor games imo, we should play an in form Fogarty against the Roos. Reward form.

Disagree & did make sure to watch him closely off ball as was concerned he was labouring. I have seen enough of Lynch live over the years to see when he is on song.

I'm not saying permanently kick him out of the team as he showed he was a gun in round 1... but after 2 poor games imo, we should play an in form Fogarty against the Roos.
An in form Fogarty...WOW

A couple of really nice centre clearances in a 14 disposal game DOES NOT denote in form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An in form Fogarty...WOW

A couple of really nice centre clearances in a 14 disposal game DOES NOT denote in form.
We also need to have a view to the future in rebuild mode & he is not exactly out of form.

We are not going to agree... but don't worry thr coaches are likely to agree with you.

It means that Thilthorpe/Fogarty can't play though.
Thilthorpe id play instead of Frampton.

Fogarty......yeah it's true. I mean he could play instead of Lynch with a tweak of roles. He's been roaming a fair bit in the reserves games.

Lynch needs to hit the scoreboard more himself (1.4 from three games isn't good enough for a starting forward), but he's pretty handy at hitting up forward targets. Frampton's form is the more pressing concern - he's been a witches' hat the last two games.

Thilthorpe is the one we should be trying to get in the side, even if it's just a block of three or so games.

We also need to have a view to the future in rebuild mode & he is not exactly out of form.

We are not going to agree... but don't worry thr coaches are likely to agree with you.
There were only 2 players for the SANFL Crows that you could say put in an entire game performance worthy of AFL selection consideration, Josh Worrell and Hamish Latchford who's not even on our AFL list.

Edit :

* Latchford might be on an AFL list come the mid season draft mind you.

Depends where we want to play him I think.

There were only 2 players that you could say put in an entire game performance worthy of AFL selection consideration, Josh Worrell and Hamish Latchford who's not even on our AFL list.
It's not necessarily about putting together a full game of it though, particularly when you consider the players in our front half had little to no chance to impress

Lynch needs to hit the scoreboard more himself (1.4 from three games isn't good enough for a starting forward), but he's pretty handy at hitting up forward targets. Frampton's form is the more pressing concern - he's been a witches' hat the last two games.

Thilthorpe is the one we should be trying to get in the side, even if it's just a block of three or so games.
I'm not sure Frampton's form is the issue. He just isn't much good. He's doing his best.

It's interesting that Nicks said he didn't put much stock in those preseason games. Yet they were enough for Frampton to prove himself worthy of a best 22 spot.

I'm not sure Frampton's form is the issue. He just isn't much good. He's doing his best.

It's interesting that Nicks said he didn't put much stock in those preseason games. Yet they were enough for Frampton to prove himself worthy of a best 22 spot.
Probably because Berg isn't fit and is playing utter tripe

Probably because Berg isn't fit and is playing utter tripe
Swap them on Friday and I doubt either performs much differently

And Thilthorpe hopefully will jump both this week.

There's no reason to pick a currently average footballer who also has minimal future upside.

The big risk is that he'll pop a few goals through vs the Kangaroos and we'll be stuck with him

Swap them on Friday and I doubt either performs much differently

And Thilthorpe hopefully will jump both this week.

There's no reason to pick a currently average footballer who also has minimal future upside.

The big risk is that he'll pop a few goals through vs the Kangaroos and we'll be stuck with him
I can understand not playing him R1, but now is the time. He'll never have a better time to debut, mind you North weren't very good when we played them last year either.

He's no chance to come into selection discussion. He's not playing too badly, but he's not critical to us and at his age with a player like Fog wasting away in the 2s, his current output is easily replaced. At a minimum we shouldn't be worried about finding someone to exactly replace his mythical role. He'll get another year though, nothing more certain. The only experience we'll shed at year's end will be those demanding a trade. Mackay the only one at risk.

Back