Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Double standards exist all over the shop here. If you're a spooky ex TV host you're fair game but what about Jimmy Page and his sexual predilections? Nobody is calling for his prosecution and burning Led Zep IV. Bill Wyman openly dated a thirteen year old. Miles Davis and John Lennon were both handy with their fists when it came to disagreements with their ladies but nobody wants to cancel their works, although I'm open to binning the Yoko sides of a couple of LPs.
Add Elvis onto the cancel list as well then.

Double standards exist all over the shop here. If you're a spooky ex TV host you're fair game but what about Jimmy Page and his sexual predilections? Nobody is calling for his prosecution and burning Led Zep IV. Bill Wyman openly dated a thirteen year old. Miles Davis and John Lennon were both handy with their fists when it came to disagreements with their ladies but nobody wants to cancel their works, although I'm open to binning the Yoko sides of a couple of LPs.

Sean Connery was a well know domestic abuser yet he seemed to be revered because he could, like, act super good.

Uh oh!:

Which gets me thinking, if someone who now bases themselves on being “politically incorrect” and against “cancel culture”, is getting ”cancelled” by a country pub of all places where is this supposedly massive “silent majority” against cancel culture?

If even country pub owners don’t want Mr Politically Incorrect anymore maybe his attitudes are truly going the way of the dinosaur.....

Uh oh!:

Which gets me thinking, if someone who now bases themselves on being “politically incorrect” and against “cancel culture”, is getting ”cancelled” by a country pub of all places where is this supposedly massive “silent majority” against cancel culture?

If even country pub owners don’t want Mr Politically Incorrect anymore maybe his attitudes are truly going the way of the dinosaur.....
That's just capitalism proving it does have a sense of humour.

Adam Smith would be proud.

It’s free market capitalism at work.

Which is why this whole outrage at private businesses operating the way they want to has got me perplexed. Why are so many right wing conservatives upset? This is one of their core values. Unless they have no real values at all.....

It’s free market capitalism at work.

Which is why this whole outrage at private businesses operating the way they want to has got me perplexed. Why are so many right wing conservatives upset? This is one of their core values. Unless they have no real values at all.....

Its because they are upset that said companies cant also discriminate as much as much as conservatives wish THEY could. See: The bakers and the gay wedding cake. They use that as their false flag or whatever buzz narrative they like.

So even country pubs think Sam Newman will be detrimental to their income.
It's not about that pub's direct customers, it's about the tens of thousands of cucks on Twitter who would spam them with negative reviews and threaten the pub owner's family.

It's not about that pub's direct customers, it's about the tens of thousands of cucks on Twitter who would spam them with negative reviews and threaten the pub owner's family.

It actually is about the pub's direct customers. Directly from the article:

The Advertiser reports the pub changed its mind about the event after customers complained.

So again, not the mythical "leftist twitter cancel culture" brigade. It was regular patrons at the pub who probably told the owner he was being a drongo for booking a senile fool like Newman and threatened to take their business elsewhere. And therefore free market principles won.

Maybe Newman should apply free market principles himself and create his own pub or live speaking venue, where he owns and operates a venue where he can say whatever he wants. If the so called "silent majority outraged at PC culture" truly exists then Newman should make millions.

Maybe Newman should apply free market principles himself and create his own pub or live speaking venue, where he owns and operates a venue where he can say whatever he wants. If the so called "silent majority outraged at PC culture" truly exists then Newman should make millions.
Oh, such as Parler?

Oh, such as Parler?

As long as he complies with the law and doesn't allow it to become a haven for violent threats which is what Parler became then yeah. It can also be a safe space for his views, which is what Parler was because the so called "free speech social media" site was notorious for banning users with a hint of left wing opinions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as he complies with the law and doesn't allow it to become a haven for violent threats which is what Parler became then yeah. It can also be a safe space for his views, which is what Parler was because the so called "free speech social media" site was notorious for banning users with a hint of left wing opinions
We go from "oh why don't you create your own platform" to "but the outraged leftie pitchfork mob have every right to cancel a platform" super quickly!

We go from "oh why don't you create your own platform" to "but the outraged leftie pitchfork mob have every right to cancel a platform" super quickly!

Stop hosting a platform because it’s members were using that platform to advocate violence and Parler was doing nothing to stop it. That’s a crime.

“Wah the outraged Leftie pitchfork mob have canceled us using something called “the law” wah wah sook sook....”

Stop hosting a platform because it’s members were using that platform to advocate violence and Parler was doing nothing to stop it. That’s a crime.

“Wah the outraged Leftie pitchfork mob have canceled us using something called “the law” wah wah sook sook....”
Er, FB hosted the Christchurch massacre. Twitter allowed numerous ISIS accounts to operate. Reddit recently recruited a pro-pedophilia admin. Cancel! And let's not even get started on TikTok...

"Go make your own platform, but we'll cancel it without holding any existing platforms to the same standard! Platforms for me, 'publishers' for thee."

I wonder how many people actually bought tickets to see Sam Newman. I would've thought country pub in SA was his target market.

It wasn't that long ago that The Footy Show was widely popular. It was 'Most Popular Sports Program' in 2011. That's a lifetime ago to angsty first year arts students but not to most people. Some people still get a kick out of dick and fart jokes and anecdotes about footy in the 60s.

'Market forces' would be Sam Newman not getting booked to do gigs because no one wants to see him, rather than having gigs cancelled because of a few complaints.

As far as the law goes it's horrific. GOP controlled legislature in Georgia absolutely sooking that they lost the Presidential vote and the two Senate seats in a traditionally GOP state. So they pass a law that targets urban minority voters more likely to vote Democrat. Restricting the amount of postal vote locations in urban areas by 80%. Restricting the time available to apply for a postal vote. Not allowing food and water to be sold to people in lines at polling stations (in urban areas these waits can be over 8hrs). All designed to target areas and groups more likely to vote Democrat. If this was a third world country the US would be getting ready to bomb them (if they sat on oil of course).

That's real cancel culture.

Now corporations like Microsoft, the MLB, Coke et al use their free market rights to choose to place their business elsewhere in the country, and the right has a massive sook. Isn't this what they want? Private businesses having to right to run their business the way they want? I guess a Christian bakery not wanting to serve a gay couple is different to MLB not wanting to host their All Star game in Atlanta.

Sooks.

Did you see arch troll Mitch McConnell say about companies boycotting Georgia - he said "Companies should not get involved in politics" - the biggest corporate fund raiser in Republican history. He does it to trigger liberals

Look man, every town has a few Karens. Piss off, aye?

While I agree in principle, and I'd advise those with concerns to just not attend the pub that night rather then ensuring everyone else is kept safe from Sam's nasty words... its still worth pointing out whenever you're wrong, and I shall continue to do so.

Frequently :tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back