Unofficial Preview Changes v The Dogs, round 4 in Ballarat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll use the opportunity of our first win and the endorphins available to remind everyone that there's still plenty of previews that we need posters for this year!

Long term weather says 14 on Saturday with rain the day before.
Not sure you want to bring in someone with a bad hammy if it is cold. Although you say J Berry want to play in Ballarat.

I say Big O and Berry for Ballenden and Payne.. We need another mid rotation against the dogs rather than an extra tall.

Not sure you want to bring in someone with a bad hammy if it is cold. Although you say J Berry want to play in Ballarat.

I say Big O and Berry for Ballenden and Payne.. We need another mid rotation against the dogs rather than an extra tall.

Was it last time in Ballarat when Bailey did a hammy returning from a hamstring injury? Or was it someone else?

I’d go the same changes mate, but would bring in Diz at the expense of Payne, rather than Frog. Hoping that the coaches keep the faith with Bez Jr and Dev. Both deserve to hold their spots after their efforts on Thursday night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Definitely, they both provide something we need against the Dogs midfield ie. spread in attack and gut running both ways.

Generally over the course of their careers, I would rank those midfielders in this order:

1. Pendlebury
2. Bontempelli
3. Sidebottom
4. Macrae
5. Treloar
6. Adams
7. Liberatore
8. Smith
9. Crisp
10. Phillips

So generally, I think that Collingwood midfield does look better on paper (or at least did when they were at the peak of their powers 2/3 years ago).

Perhaps more noteworthy though is how rarely the team with what is considered to be the best on-paper midfield seems to win the premiership. People haven't often raved about Richmond's midfield as generational, nor West Coast's. Hawthorn were revered with Hodge, Mitchell & Lewis especially, but at the time I would've said that Sydney's midfield was better (and stats would have backed that up). Even in the year the Bulldogs won the flag, their midfield was just alright.

The Dogs are a good team, but so far they are only a great team on paper. It is entirely possible they do what Hawthorn did and go on to an era of dominance now a few years after their 'too early' flag, but it's far from a given that they are a great team yet. Outside of today's match, they've beaten Collingwood (only just - like we did), and narrowly beaten West Coast who it's too early to have much of a gauge on yet.

Wouldn't mind too much if the Dogs did become a dynasty though if it couldn't be us. They're exciting to watch and when you've been so unsuccessful as a club for so long, a period of time dominating the competition feels fair enough. I just am not convinced by them yet as a great team.

Apologies for intruding but your missing Dunkley & Hunter in this list. Our strength is our depth, with players like West, Mclean and Lipinski good prospects pushing for regular first team spots.

Are we flying more players down? I wonder if Sharp is still around or gone back already. Wouldn't mind seeing another debut like Ely on the wing / inside.

Out from pies game - Fullarton, Ballenden, Payne
Potential Ins - Oscar, JBerry, Gardiner

T.Berry to lock down Daniel. Our backline of Harris/Adams/Gardiner would go well against Bruce/Naughton/English.

Stating the obvious, this game will be won or lost in midfield. We need big outputs from all of them. Lyons, Zorko, McCluggage, Neale, MRobbo and Deven all had good games so they'll be more match ready for Dogs. Hope we have a plan if Neale gets tagged again, I would love to play Ely but not sure whom to drop.

Seems like Ely's joined the group - we must have received permission to send some more down. Wonder if it's just him or others as well.

View attachment 1093728

Hopefully gets a run. I know Fages doesnt generally make changes to a winning team but an extra midfielder might be valuable against the Doggies.

Seems like Ely's joined the group - we must have received permission to send some more down. Wonder if it's just him or others as well.

View attachment 1093728
Maybe it's a sign that Lachie Neale's back may get a rest this weekend as you would think we would be coming back to Brisbane after the game for our round 5 clash with the Bombers at the Gabba with everything going well re Covid. Matho for Lachie and Ely as the sub?

Maybe it's a sign that Lachie Neale's back may get a rest this weekend as you would think we would be coming back to Brisbane after the game for our round 5 clash with the Bombers at the Gabba with everything going well re Covid. Matho for Lachie and Ely as the sub?

I could be wrong, but I believe we have adopted something of a policy not to play debutants as the sub. So would be more likely to be Ely for Lachie and Matho as the sub if that was the case I think.

I could be wrong, but I believe we have adopted something of a policy not to play debutants as the sub. So would be more likely to be Ely for Lachie and Matho as the sub if that was the case I think.
Prior was the sub against the Cats but was elevated with the injury to Berry and Kiddy then became the sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarrod Berry is in Brisbane going by his Instagram.

I assume they knew he was more likely than not to play.

Yep, that decision was not as last minute as it seemed. Prior would not have been named if he was going to be the sub.

Our depth being tested early this season. It's exciting to see debutants and young kids getting a run, but it will be nice to see some more experience return to the line up.

5 kids with under 10 games experience is giving me PTSD from a few years ago! 🤣

Might have to wear the long johns. Scored a ticket....exciteddddd

Whenever we won at the Gabba, I'd call Mum and we'd sing the song together along with everyone at the Gabba.

The last time we did this was against the Dogs last season (when Hipwood had a belter). By the time we faced North, she was already deep in a coma she'd never wake from.

I thought about that a little bit ago. It's funny what your brain can do to you.

Whenever we won at the Gabba, I'd call Mum and we'd sing the song together along with everyone at the Gabba.

The last time we did this was against the Dogs last season (when Hipwood had a belter). By the time we faced North, she was already deep in a coma she'd never wake from.

I thought about that a little bit ago. It's funny what your brain can do to you.

Damn, sorry to hear that patfull, hopefully the boys can get up for you and for her memory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back