foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Could it be a case this week of not wanting to bring in too many inexperienced players, especially up forward?

We have Holmes on debut, Evans will be playing his second match and Clark just game #24

Unless they wanted to go with say Jenkins, other options to come in up forward aren't experienced players, so maybe they just thought that the safer option was to stick with an experienced option up forward
To me it doesn't matter... you need to back in the other players who aren't in the best 22. Eg like Close, cos you need to believe in all your other players who aren't playing that can do a job when asked to do so... and reward them

Don’t agree re Constable. We already have Miers and Evans as small forwards. We could easily have dropped Dahlhaus and retained Constable. Dumb selection decision.
We've bought 2 midfielders into the team, there was always going to be at least 1 midfielder making way

Once it was announced that Duncan was in line to return, Constable was always shaping up as the most likely out unless there was an unknown injury

If Dahlhaus was also omitted then surely it would have been to bring a forward into the side

catman14

Debutant
Aug 8, 2006
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone have actual knowledge of why constable is in and out and has such low TOG?
He was rock solid in the first half last week then just vanished.
Is it just fitness?
Haven’t seen anyone from the club speak about it just us here guessing.
Get him ok”n the Tour de France caliber gear and we will have a new Brownlow contender. (Maybe even whatever Woewodin was on will do)

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
Surely there is someone better than Dalhaus - Geelong are going nowhere picking blokes like him

I can remember Gregson ( post injury when he was no good whatsoever ) Scott gave him about 8 games in a row - and they were all shockers

Scott picking Dallhaus this week - what an absolute joke - and if the Cats get beat ( which is deadset 50-50 ) then Dallhaus will be the 1st dropped - but this week he should have been dropped
I agree he should be dropped. But we picked him last year and got somewhere in making the GF. Not the end of the world.

When was the last time a debutant played for us and cemented a spot in the team? We seem to have so many young guys in the system who aren't good enough to hold a spot. I hope Evans and Holmes change that.
Miers?

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
We've bought 2 midfielders into the team, there was always going to be at least 1 midfielder making way

Once it was announced that Duncan was in line to return, Constable was always shaping up as the most likely out unless there was an unknown injury

If Dahlhaus was also omitted then surely it would have been to bring a forward into the side

Not necessarily. Who says that because you bring a mid in you need to omit another mid? If you have a player woefully out of form and you have already two small forwards named then you can bring in another type - could even be a second ruck if you want!

When was the last time a debutant played for us and cemented a spot in the team? We seem to have so many young guys in the system who aren't good enough to hold a spot. I hope Evans and Holmes change that.
- Close held his spot for 8 games last year until Ablett returned
- Clark in 2019
- Miers debuted in 2019 and don't think he's missed a game since debut
- Atkins debuted in 2019 and some were upset he wasn't omitted earlier than the finals last year as he was one who played every week when fit
- Henry debuted in 2018 and the first game he's missed since debut was round 1 this year
- Parfitt since his debut in 2017 has held his spot unless he's missed through injury

We seem to go ok with giving youngsters/newbies a go, and if they are good enough they hold their spot

Don’t agree re Constable. We already have Miers and Evans as small forwards. We could easily have dropped Dahlhaus and retained Constable. Dumb selection decision.
I'm not making the assertion we have too many small forwards. Miers is in a patch of poor form and Evans is playing game 2.
I think Duncan seals his fate and would have dropped Dahlhaus regardless, and based on emergencies for Close. Much more like for like.

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Dalhouse's selection is evidence of a very conservative and timid MC. Disgraceful really. What must aspiring young players think?

Constable was stiff. For all the theorising about his game, he played well enough last week to keep his spot. he's natural footballer who reminds me bit of Jobe Watson a young player.

Not necessarily. Who says that because you bring a mid in you need to omit another mid? If you have a player woefully out of form and you have already two small forwards named then you can bring in another type - could even be a second ruck if you want!
Reckon Close is breathing down Dahlhaus’s neck. Constable was gone when Duncan was back. 55% game time not enough.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Dahlhaus is a defensive forward whose role is to shutdown half back run and carry (if he's doing that well is up for debate, I say not nearly enough), I reckon it's purely down to keeping some defensive structure up forward until Rohan and Cameron are in the team, then he must make way.
regardless though many in here need to realise positions matter, they won't drop a defensive small forward to retain an inside midfielder so chook for Dahlhaus simply isn't relevant (even if I personally would prefer Dahl out and chook to keep his spot).

Holmes has gone back to back BOGs in the VFL

Hopefully next week Close backs up his efforts from last week and can get his shot

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Don’t think we’ve had a late change yet
Think that would be the case tomorrow
In Close, out someone “sore”

Although I don't think this is the right week for it, I'd love to see Close in for Dahlhaus (potentially with Rohan not regaining his spot with Cameron coming in...).

Putting aside Constable’s non selection, Close should be in front of Dahlhaus atm.
Agree. And I reckon had Rohan not been suspended they might have pulled the trigger on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back