Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v Gold Coast, Saturday 10th Apr Metricon Stadium 7:25pm - Team post #931

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
oIWsrrKb.jpg

Last Time: Who gives a toss about last time???!!!

It'll be interesting to see if this game actually does go ahead at Metricon Stadium on Saturday or whether it gets shifted south to Melbourne and becomes a Blues home game. Nothing is certain in the world of COVID-19, but some things such as "Cartel Behaviour" remains more predictable than ever:
  • Airlines jacking up the price of fares as soon as the Federal Government subsidises "half-price" tickets; and
  • Petrol prices leaping 40c/ltr the day before the Easter Break commences.
Oh well, my dream to travel up north to this game now lies in tatters.

While the win against the Dockers was welcome, it was probably the most unconvincing 45 point wins I've seen and we'll need to play a more disciplined game if we're to beat the Suns.

Points from last weeks game:
  1. While we don't often help ourselves, we really got stooged by the umps at times against Freo.
  2. Parks made his debut and was OK in his first outing at AFL level.
  3. Jack's back and the further the match went the better Silvagni got.
  4. Cripps found a lot of the ball last week, but his decision-making in the second half was horrible.
  5. Gibbons keeps-on-keeping-on much to his haters disgust!!! You mofos know who you are.
  6. Levi's on struggle street with his knee. Give him a rest for a week or 2 in and bring in the big Mac.
  7. SPS found some form and speed last week. Put him in the middle FFS!!!
  8. Jones played an absolute cracker and is long as its not too dewy will look to be rock solid again,
  9. McKay kept his feet and presented up to the ball carrier. Simple game footy.....when you get off your arse!!!
  10. Lack the killer instinct to really put the opposition to the sword when we've got the opportunity.
Although our form's been patchy at best, it can only get better and IMO we'll easily improve on what we've shown so for. Williams started showing signs today that he's beginning to get used to working with his new team mates and one feels like he's due for a really good game very shortly. As long as Doc keeps finding the ball 20+ times per match form will come. Effort and work-rate eventually get rewarded. While he didn't come to us with the same fanfare as Saad and Williams, Fogarty's proved to be a very shrewd acquisition and his attack on the ball and the opposition is first rate.

Speed has been a massive weapon for the Suns ever since they entered the competition and the new rule with the stationery man-on-the-mark will only serve to assist their game style. Missing both Witts and Rowell is a big blow to the Suns, but they've nevertheless been reasonably impressive in their first 3 outings. King and Rankine have the potential to be match-winners up forward, while the superb run, carry and pin-point delivery that Lukosius provides can be hard to stop if left unchecked to do his own thing. Greenwood, Miller & the quickly maturing Anderson will prove to be threat around the stoppages especially if the Blues mids don't have their act together. While the pressure will have eased slightly on Teague, Cain "the Hatchet-man" Liddle will be lurking somewhere in the shadows to make sure things go to script.

Team Selection:

B: Parks, Jones, Plowman
HB: Docherty, Weitering, Saad
C: Williams, Cripps, Newnes
HF: Fogarty, McDonald, Gibbons
F: Betts, McKay, Silvagni
R: Pittonet, Setterfield, Walsh
IC: E.Curnow, Cottrell, SPS, Stocker
Sub: Cuningham

In: Setterfield, Stocker, Cuningham
Out: Casboult (inj), Murphy, Dow (omitted)

Prediction - Find it hard to believe we don't still have a stack of improvement in us. McKay to kick 6.1, Setters to run through Greenwood and the Blues win by a lazy 37 points.

Last edited:
I’d bring in Gov next week and drop Cas. Put Parks or Jones into ruck when pitto needs a chop out and our 3 forwards would be JSOS Gov and Harry. Mobile, dangerous and deadly! Teague won’t drop Cas, but I’d love to see this. Also, hope Teague sticks with Cotrell, one of our few two way runners and gives absolutely everything.

The coach referred to Casboult in his presser as part of the group he’d put it on to deliver. “And they delivered.”

So let’s forget Cas being dropped this week.

Dow the only possible I’d say. But maybe no change.

Depends how they see the fitness of McGovern. 50/50 chance to come in this week.

The coach referred to Casboult in his presser as part of the group he’d put it on to deliver. “And they delivered.”

So let’s forget Cas being dropped this week.

Dow the only possible I’d say. But maybe no change.

Depends how they see the fitness of McGovern. 50/50 chance to come in this week.

Casboult most definately didn't deliver anything. Not in anyone's language. He was woeful again. All he did was use his body to hurt someone in one instant. So that's his quota of 1 per year used up.

I haven't seen the presser, so don't know Teague's tone or intent, so can't comment on his sincerity.

Setters might be the right replacement for Dow, if they play him in the guts

Would prefer

Omac for Levi
Stocker/Setters for Dow
Setters/Stocker for Murphy

Now that Betts is in, give him one more week (just), otherwise one of Honey, Cuners, Durdin
Agree with the top 2 changes. Would go Stocker for Dow. Don't think Murphy will be dropped after today's game - did enough.
Also, it would be nice if Betts had more touches, however, his F50 pressure and all the little things he does in blocking for Mckay, bumps, niggles can't be ignored and don't count to the stats sheet. Keeps his spot until of those those 3 others you mentioned bangs the door down.

In light of all that has occurred...

In: McGovern (can kick snags)
Out: Dow (providing nothing offensively and defensively)

Give JSOS Dow's stoppage minutes around the ground, play McGovern forward predominately.

Removing all emotion from selection and picking the best 22, in addition to the above:

In: Cuningham (usurps Murphy), McDonald (2nd ruck and resting forward)
Out: Murphy (pointless), Casboult (doing nothing)

Dow has to go, did close to nothing. Setters as long as they play him in the guts is a good replacement or Stocker. I hope they stick with Cottrell and Parks, they showed enough. Don't anybody get carried away with the performance of Murphy or Ed Curnow or Betts, Freo were injury depleted and ripe for the picking. We will learn a lot more from next weeks game, pretty sure G.C. will give us a much better contest.

Betts was useless aside from that one brilliant goal. Dow poor, Casboult poor. Parks was great on debut but his disposal is a worry. Cottrell was last man in but he’s super fit, will be good at Metricon.

We tired so much and Suns get 2 extra days on us, but it’s crazy to make multiple changes after such a wonderful win like that.

Levi is safe because no one else can chop out Pitt in the ruck without ruining balance elsewhere. Gov or O can’t ruck. Witts will be a real handful as it is.

Setters in for Dow for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Betts was useless aside from that one brilliant goal. Dow poor, Casboult poor. Parks was great on debut but his disposal is a worry. Cottrell was last man in but he’s super fit, will be good at Metricon.

We tired so much and Suns get 2 extra days on us, but it’s crazy to make multiple changes after such a wonderful win like that.

Levi is safe because no one else can chop out Pitt in the ruck without ruining balance elsewhere. Gov or O can’t ruck. Witts will be a real handful as it is.

Witts not playing ...

Setters might be the right replacement for Dow, if they play him in the guts

Would prefer

Omac for Levi
Stocker/Setters for Dow
Setters/Stocker for Murphy

Now that Betts is in, give him one more week (just), otherwise one of Honey, Cuners, Durdin
You are a hard marker on Eddie, stick to your guns though. The body work, presence and pressure acts alone make him worth keeping. And he is a honey pot for the youngsters, providing immediacy of feedback and affirmation. Murphy offers none of these things and only does well when the game opens up, thus a good performance today. Fine with resting Levi, the rest is semantics and no unforced changes are likely to occur.

You clearly didn’t pay any attention to the work Eddie does without the ball. I don’t blame you, not many do.

Out - Casboult, Dow, Betts
In - McDonald (2nd Ruck), McGovern, Stocker

I'm normally the number 1 drop Murphy fan...
But anyone at the game wouldn't be calling for Murphy out this week..
His run and getting to the right positions was great, just got bypassed for Harry today.

Casboult - Looks injured or cooked, his hands are like bricks this year.. Need to bring in McDonald for him next week.
Betts - Was below average today and no need to take him interstate
Dow - Was below par again, time to give stocker a run and reward his form

Would leave Setterfield and Williamson out of the team, after todays game Parks and Cottrell offer a lot more

What I’d like to see is-

Out: Levi, murph, dow (don’t mind if he stays in to learn at AFL level, but not in the same team as murph. We can’t carry both)
In: Omac, 2 of stocker, cuningham, setters (keep him off the wing though)

What I expect from Teague-
Out: cottrell
In: setters to take back his spot on the wing

Eddie Betts will not be dropped for this game. Neither will Murphy. Don’t necessarily agree but, it won’t happen.

Only feasible changes might be Setters for Dow (if fit) and Oscar for Levi.

Need the run of Cottrell and flexibility of Parks against young, explosive Suns team. Stoker doesn’t run enough to play against this midfield.

Stocker for Dow (sadly, I’m his biggest believer)
Honey/Cuners for Murph

Wouldn’t mind seeing Setters go back to the reserves and find some footy. I’d also leave Gov there and force him to really bash down the door. There isn’t exactly a spot for him in the side structurally but if Cas keeps putting up s**t it’s an easy swap and we go in without a 2nd ruck.

I'm normally the number 1 drop Murphy fan...
But anyone at the game wouldn't be calling for Murphy out this week..
I was there. Murph was average. If average is the best you can produce in a match like that, it’s time to make way. He applies so little pressure that the opponents actually seem calmer when they see him coming at them. We can’t carry him if we want to be a legitimate contender for finals.

Setters had gastro and Teague said he will be fine for next week.

If we assume he plays, then it’s a question of whether they drop Cottrell - which would be a war crime - or Dow - which would make sense.

I would also drop Levi for Gov and have Omac as the medical sub. As I said in the autopsy thread, Gold Coast do not have a ruckman at the moment. So, even if Pittonet needs a chop out that player will be rucking against someone like a Levi Greenwood or Burgess.

Hopefully Williams comes up. Hopefully there are no other issues across the week.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back