List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If JDG can’t become a consistent A grader this season, I think I would entertain this, he’s had enough opportunity barring injury.

Doubt they trade the Number 1 Pick for De Goey

In terms of KPF, if the game style continues to result in them being so instrumental, defenders will be forced to play them tight - the answer is obviously that Moore has to go forward - he's too good to play as a lockdown defender. In which point it's a defender we need to chase - but we definitely need a midfielder or two as well.
His one one defence is also getting exposed now with the new rules.

Grundy went at around 40% to advantage in the first half last week fwiw. League average is about 13%
This is a BS stat. I still haven't heard anyone clearly explain what constitutes advantage in this situation. If Grundy's stats are as high as 40% then it has to be that he is getting the ball after his own taps hence the questionable advantage. The only problem is Grundy when he does tap it to himself he drops to his knees and ties the ball up for another stat. The process starts again until we eventually lose the clearance. How about Grundy and the coaches start working with his team mates and we then can start to measure the advantage he's potentially capable of.

Last edited:
This is a BS stat. I still haven't heard anyone clearly explain what constitutes advantage in this situation. If Grundy's stats are as high as 40% then it has to be that he is getting the ball after his own taps hence the questionable advantage. The only problem is Grundy when he does tap it to himself he drops to his knees and ties the ball up for another stat. The process starts again until we eventually lose the clearance. How about Grundy and the coaches start working with his team mates and we then can start to measure the advantage he's potentially capable of.
He doesn’t usually go at 40%. He was tapping beautifully in the first half last week. He usually runs at about 13-15%. There’s nothing BS about the stat I posted.

Shouldn't be desperate for a key forward in the first place, forget about not getting Brown as a 'victory' at the end of the day we're still in no better position, we still have a basketballer as our key forward and an undersized 2nd tall.

Granted they're very good but by no means the combination talls of wc, tigs or cats or even crows / swans at the minute.

I don't even need to mention that our slow ball only hampers our not as good forwards.

But hey yeah dodged a bullet. :thumbsu:
Sorry, but what are you on about. The guy will be lucky to get on the park this year, has a chronic knee problem, and you are critical of me about him. We dodged one because he would be payed big money to sit in rehab, but hay he is tall, well there you go. Two years ago l would have been all for getting him to the club. But not now
But hay he is tall, and once was very good.
We just got rid of our rehab group. Think about that part.
Anyway l believe in the draft, and free agents, not spending two first for a player, no matter what we get back, unless that player is elite at the time.
Cameron we should have gone all in for, he is what we needed.
But if you like just just getting a tall

Last edited:
Sorry, but what are you on about. The guy will be lucky to get on the park this year, has a chronic knee problem, and you are critical of me about him. We dodged one because he would be payed big money to sit in rehab, but hay he is tall, well there you go. Two years ago l would have been all for getting him to the club. But not now
But hay he is tall, and once was very good.
We just got rid of our rehab group. Think about that part.
Anyway l believe in the draft, and free agents, not spending two first for a player, no matter what we get back, unless that player is elite at the time.
Cameron we should have gone all in for, he is what we needed.
But if you like just just getting a tall

If we still had the upcoming first, I'd trade it and next year's first for Petracca - in a heartbeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we still had the upcoming first, I'd trade it and next year's first for Petracca - in a heartbeat.
I am mystified about this obsession with another hybrid mid-fielder/half-forward type. The Club is crying out for quality KEY FORWARDS & if we are going to pay big money that is what we critically need. We have not had one since Cloke left at the end of 2016 & went to the Western Bulldogs. Even then his best days were behind him & I would suggest that he deteriorated significantly & sequentially from 2013 onwards. Yes; Petracca is trending towards being an elite player but I do not see one player on the current list who has demonstrated that he has the ability & work ethic to become an A Grade key forward. However we have given away our Ist Round Draft selection in 2021 & so right now I am totally despairing about our forward line going forward & specifically young & emerging key forwards! Right now the cupboard is pretty much bare. Look at the Eagles with Oscar Allen & the Power with Todd Marshall & now the Swans with young Logan McDonald. They are so much better placed than us going forward. Moreover each of those 3 clubs have existing & experienced key forwards already playing in their respective teams. Why does our club have such an aversion to drafting/recruiting key forwards. For all their limitations in 2010 to 2012, at least Cloke & to a lesser extent provided targets & a physical presence on the field. I personally think this club is in really dire straits when you really scrutinise the current list. I could go on & go on ad infinitum but nothing seems to change at Collingwood. I mean Carlton's Harry McKay does not strike me as potentally an out & out champion player but when was it that a Collingwood key forward - in an age range between 18 to 25 - last kicked 7 goals in a game, let alone 5 or 6? I have been thinking about this situation for the last 5 years but we do nothing to address it while other clubs do. I firmly believe that this deficiency cost us the premiership in 2018. We did not even take a punt with the 2 extra spots that were available before this 2021 season started for at least one young rookie key position player who was not initially drafted. In fact - while watching the West Coast V Port game on Saturday night - I went back & looked at the 2017 AFL National Draft & especially West Coast's selections & while we picked up Stephenson at 6, they picked up Allen, Brander & Ryan (what a star!) all at later selections. What does that tell you about our recruiting expertise? C'est la vie! Enough is enough. Goodnight & good luck.

Yes l would too, manly because l think petracca is elite now.
As must as l liked treloar, to me he was not worth the price we paid
But in saying that l would still on the balance go to the draft.

I am mystified about this obsession with another hybrid mid-fielder/half-forward type. The Club is crying out for quality KEY FORWARDS & if we are going to pay big money that is what we critically need. We have not had one since Cloke left at the end of 2016 & went to the Western Bulldogs. Even then his best days were behind him & I would suggest that he deteriorated significantly & sequentially from 2013 onwards. Yes; Petracca is trending towards being an elite player but I do not see one player on the current list who has demonstrated that he has the ability & work ethic to become an A Grade key forward. However we have given away our Ist Round Draft selection in 2021 & so right now I am totally despairing about our forward line going forward & specifically young & emerging key forwards! Right now the cupboard is pretty much bare. Look at the Eagles with Oscar Allen & the Power with Todd Marshall & now the Swans with young Logan McDonald. They are so much better placed than us going forward. Moreover each of those 3 clubs have existing & experienced key forwards already playing in their respective teams. Why does our club have such an aversion to drafting/recruiting key forwards. For all their limitations in 2010 to 2012, at least Cloke & to a lesser extent provided targets & a physical presence on the field. I personally think this club is in really dire straits when you really scrutinise the current list. I could go on & go on ad infinitum but nothing seems to change at Collingwood. I mean Carlton's Harry McKay does not strike me as potentally an out & out champion player but when was it that a Collingwood key forward - in an age range between 18 to 25 - last kicked 7 goals in a game, let alone 5 or 6? I have been thinking about this situation for the last 5 years but we do nothing to address it while other clubs do. I firmly believe that this deficiency cost us the premiership in 2018. We did not even take a punt with the 2 extra spots that were available before this 2021 season started for at least one young rookie key position player who was not initially drafted. In fact - while watching the West Coast V Port game on Saturday night - I went back & looked at the 2017 AFL National Draft & especially West Coast's selections & while we picked up Stephenson at 6, they picked up Allen, Brander & Ryan (what a star!) all at later selections. What does that tell you about our recruiting expertise? C'est la vie! Enough is enough. Goodnight & good luck.

Basically, I think our midfield is in dire straits over the next 3 years unless we get someone in to bolster it - and Petracca would probably be my first choice.

Not sure what we could possibly offer Melbourne that would interest them in the slightest.

Maybe Wilson and Mayne? Seems a puff piece.

If we're in the market to trade in a star, it just makes trading out our first rounder this year gob smackingly dumb.

The club is also crying out for an A grade midfielder.

Sidebottom and Pendlebury are not A graders anymore, Adams is okay, after that it's extremely bare.

His one one defence is also getting exposed now with the new rules.
That's my point really. The changes to the game may mean he has to desist seperating from his man, trying to read it and just backing himself in to mark. At which point, I think he'll be a very good defender, but not dominant - it'll be time for us to try him up forward again.

That's my point really. The changes to the game may mean he has to desist seperating from his man, trying to read it and just backing himself in to mark. At which point, I think he'll be a very good defender, but not dominant - it'll be time for us to try him up forward again.
I pretty much agree except I’m less optimistic on Moore being a good one on one defender. I think his refusal to body opponents is more than just his aggressive positioning.

I pretty much agree except I’m less optimistic on Moore being a good one on one defender. I think his refusal to body opponents is more than just his aggressive positioning.
With his pace, jump, reach and timing, I don't think he'll need to body them though - Just keep in striking distance.

But where are the emerging KEY FORWARDS on our list?

Mids are more important. Teams just aren't competitive unless they have multiple good midfielders. Plus I think with the way the game is going, we should be clearing out space for JDG to lead into - he's a potential star full forward.

Mids are more important. Teams just aren't competitive unless they have multiple good midfielders. Plus I think with the way the game is going, we should be clearing out space for JDG to lead into - he's a potential star full forward.
I am sorry mate but he will never be a potential - or to use my expression "GUNNA" - star full forward. I mean if you look at all of the key contenders in 2021 so far, they have really big cente half forwards and/or full forwards who are around about194 to 196 cm & more. De Goey is 188 cm & even if you are right, what do we do about centre half-forward? I am not saying mid-fielders are unimportant. Of course they are. But there has to be a balanced approach when it comes to recruiting & list formation. De Goey is about 25 & his best position - potentially - is as a roving forward such as Dustin Martin provided he can find consistency. By the way, he had been at the club since 2015 (having been drafted in 2014) & so this is his 7th season. Now if my memory is at all accurate (and I stand to be corrected if I am wrong) he has not finished inside the top 10 in the Copeland Trophy in any of the 6 years he has been at the club so far. I am sorry but "NGE" (or NOT GOOD ENOUGH) for a player on his salary! Goodnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back