Autopsy Rd 3 Insipid Loss to Carlton (Be Civil)

Remove this Banner Ad

McKay is 204cm and quick. Cox is 195cm. Carlton knew their gameplan. Blocked all day for McKay, no one else. Why we don’t do this with Tabs, I don’t know. Walters, Fredrick or anyone needs to block and hold etc. sign of a dysfunctional forward line

because when we do we get pinged

I was a big believer that the Ryan and Cox duo was the way to go and we didn't need the big stoppers. But I think after that game and thinking back to a few games last year I was wrong.

Need one of Hamling or Pearce to take on the monsters.

Not fully blaming the backline because the midfield were completely pantsed making it very difficult for our defenders. That said Pearce or Hamling on McKay and maybe he only kicks 3 goals instead of 7 and the margin is only 21 points.

Well then you sit down as a club, go through every incident, both ends, cut it all into a nice package, walk up to AFL house as a club and sit down and ask them to explain it to you what the difference is and say you aren’t leaving until they do. Make sure they have the umpires there to explain how they made all the calls and how the same can be interpreted so different.

What do we do...?....* all, Nada, nil, zilch and it continues to happen.

I was a big believer that the Ryan and Cox duo was the way to go and we didn't need the big stoppers. But I think after that game and thinking back to a few games last year I was wrong.

Need one of Hamling or Pearce to take on the monsters.

Not fully blaming the backline because the midfield were completely pantsed making it very difficult for our defenders. That said Pearce or Hamling on McKay and maybe he only kicks 3 goals instead of 7 and the margin is only 21 points.
We lost move on, Chapman and Logue are the future end of story.
If we are relying on Pearce, Hamling then we are in for a world of hurt.
Sure they are in the rotations, but are we even close to the window being open?
Taylor from GWS would be a logical addition.

just think to last week just before one of the breaks: Luke Ryan is in battle with Himmelberg as the ball comes in.
Meek floats on from the side and takes the mark...Free kick GWS
was watching some center bounces last night: Natanui went across the circle looking at Lycette. Didn’t jump and used an arm to move Lycette out of the way. Tapped the ball down.
Darcy does that and it’s a blocking free against

These type of performances is a sad reminder that we haven't improved as much as we thought we had. You'd think these performances were behind us, but sadly I can see it happening again this year

You can accept a bad loss like this early into a rebuild, but not when you're supposed to be competing for finals.

Players not even having each others backs, allowing younger players to be physically bullied, truly an embarrassment all around.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

These type of performances is a sad reminder that we haven't improved as much as we thought we had. You'd think these performances were behind us, but sadly I can see it happening again this year

You can accept a bad loss like this early into a rebuild, but not when you're supposed to be competing for finals.

Players not even having each others backs, allowing younger players to be physically bullied, truly an embarrassment all around.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think your second paragraph is what really irks me - 6 years into a rebuild, new coach who according to our president we appointed to expect finals and yet here we are, whilst we watch teams like Melbourne and Sydney go past us. Just hurts.

I don't mind the outcome today. When you are comprehensively beaten by a team you shouldn't be it points to system, team balance, work rate etc not a smattering of scape goats. This was a team loss, not because player x, y and z were s**t - everyone was under par. It will force some changes that clearly should have been made in hindsight.

That style of play we used for 3 quarters needs to be completely pulled from the repertoire - it will not stand up the vast majority of the time and it is awful for supporters to watch. We always look better when we are aggressive and take the game on and use short kicks and handballs to open up the ground and then long kicks and run to break lines. I get our players weren't spreading and therefore why we went timid but that long bomb down the line BS needs to end today. They'd be better off kicking it to space and letting our small midfield and forward line try and win the ground ball than that crap. The forward line structure can not be anchored by a clearly injured primary KPF and an immobile ruck pretending to be a forward. If you are bombing it to a ~180cm forward competing with 2 or more defenders more than once in a game you've also got your team selection wrong.

The action plan should mostly be getting some basics right before our next game:
  1. Learn how to f'in tackle properly. Just because the umps rarely call throws and htb doesn't mean you shouldn't wrap your ******* tackles. Did all the hard work applying the pressure in qtr 1 and then let the ball carrier get their arms free, get the ball to an outlet and completely released the pressure valve for Carlton. I would seriously pay Bowers to train them. I find it incredible her technique is way better than every single one of Freo's male players that are paid a crap load more to play footy. Those missed tackles were a huge reason for the mounting pressure on our defenders early. The reward for effort ratio makes this the #1 priority before next week imo.
  2. Ban the players from bombing long (at least for the next few weeks). You can count on one hand how many times it didn't just end up coming back with interest. Find another ******* way to move the ball. Either go aggressive and quick when the spread down field is good or slow it down and control the ball for a bit when our players are wrecked (or being slack). The guy with the ball also shouldn't have to wait for options - help out your teammate or GTFO.
  3. Reset the stoppage work. It was so good last week but what happened today? How were the outlets for Carlton not being blocked? I'm assuming our young mids were getting plenty of off the ball attention but surely we pre-empted this happening? I'd expect Carr will be all over how to deal with it this week.
  4. Select a proper forward line with actual tall forwards being the core of it, not rucks or tall midfielders. Absolutely ridiculous to select a team to run and then not doing much running. If Treacy and Sturt both aren't in the team next week we've lost the plot.
  5. Use Fyfe in the middle if he is back. We didn't need him against GWS, we clearly did today. Nothing wrong with him splitting his time but he shouldn't come into calculations when selecting a forward line or a midfield. He should be able to be used where he is needed throughout games, and most likely starting in the midfield where he has the greatest impact.
  6. Accept that Cox is a CHB not a FB. When you've got three negating KPDs on the injury list it does make it hard. Nailing those tackles mentioned earlier might have also helped the defenders out a bit as well. The back line weren't great but they were getting smashed with repeat i50 entries.
  7. Release the shackles a bit. The players have that same over thinking look on their faces they had under Lyon. Seems way to prescriptive this year. Need to get the balance of system and instinct right.
Will not be surprised to see us bounce back at home next week.

McKay is 204cm and quick. Cox is 195cm. Carlton knew their gameplan. Blocked all day for McKay, no one else. Why we don’t do this with Tabs, I don’t know. Walters, Fredrick or anyone needs to block and hold etc. sign of a dysfunctional forward line
Half the time cox didn’t even get blocked, he is slow to react and even slower to run

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No hiding from this one.

That second quarter was just putrid.

CarltonSecond QuarterFremantle
6.4 40Score1.3 9
10Scoring Shots4
60.0%Conversion25.0%
Won quarter by 31ResultLost quarter by 31
Leading by 35HalftimeTrailing by 35

I don't mind the outcome today. When you are comprehensively beaten by a team you shouldn't be it points to system, team balance, work rate etc not a smattering of scape goats. This was a team loss, not because player x, y and z were sh*t - everyone was under par. It will force some changes that clearly should have been made in hindsight.

That style of play we used for 3 quarters needs to be completely pulled from the repertoire - it will not stand up the vast majority of the time and it is awful for supporters to watch. We always look better when we are aggressive and take the game on and use short kicks and handballs to open up the ground and then long kicks and run to break lines. I get our players weren't spreading and therefore why we went timid but that long bomb down the line BS needs to end today. They'd be better off kicking it to space and letting our small midfield and forward line try and win the ground ball than that crap. The forward line structure can not be anchored by a clearly injured primary KPF and an immobile ruck pretending to be a forward. If you are bombing it to a ~180cm forward competing with 2 or more defenders more than once in a game you've also got your team selection wrong.

The action plan should mostly be getting some basics right before our next game:
  1. Learn how to f'in tackle properly. Just because the umps rarely call throws and htb doesn't mean you shouldn't wrap your ******* tackles. Did all the hard work applying the pressure in qtr 1 and then let the ball carrier get their arms free, get the ball to an outlet and completely released the pressure valve for Carlton. I would seriously pay Bowers to train them. I find it incredible her technique is way better than every single one of Freo's male players that are paid a crap load more to play footy. Those missed tackles were a huge reason for the mounting pressure on our defenders early. The reward for effort ratio makes this the #1 priority before next week imo.
  2. Ban the players from bombing long (at least for the next few weeks). You can count on one hand how many times it didn't just end up coming back with interest. Find another ******* way to move the ball. Either go aggressive and quick when the spread down field is good or slow it down and control the ball for a bit when our players are wrecked (or being slack). The guy with the ball also shouldn't have to wait for options - help out your teammate or GTFO.
  3. Reset the stoppage work. It was so good last week but what happened today? How were the outlets for Carlton not being blocked? I'm assuming our young mids were getting plenty of off the ball attention but surely we pre-empted this happening? I'd expect Carr will be all over how to deal with it this week.
  4. Select a proper forward line with actual tall forwards being the core of it, not rucks or tall midfielders. Absolutely ridiculous to select a team to run and then not doing much running. If Treacy and Sturt both aren't in the team next week we've lost the plot.
  5. Use Fyfe in the middle if he is back. We didn't need him against GWS, we clearly did today. Nothing wrong with him splitting his time but he shouldn't come into calculations when selecting a forward line or a midfield. He should be able to be used where he is needed throughout games, and most likely starting in the midfield where he has the greatest impact.
  6. Accept that Cox is a CHB not a FB. When you've got three negating KPDs on the injury list it does make it hard. Nailing those tackles mentioned earlier might have also helped the defenders out a bit as well. The back line weren't great but they were getting smashed with repeat i50 entries.
  7. Release the shackles a bit. The players have that same over thinking look on their faces they had under Lyon. Seems way to prescriptive this year. Need to get the balance of system and instinct right.
Will not be surprised to see us bounce back at home next week.
We couldn’t get our hands on the ball first. When we did our forwards were beaten 1v1 and the ball came out. Once it goes through the middle without slowing down it’s impossible for any defender to stop a forward with space in front. Getting the ball first is a huge step as is forwards that can win contests.

Taberners first three quarters were almost comically bad. Yeh, the delivery was bad and he was always up against it but it was the Benny Hill Tabs of old out there .

More concerning, I noticed Henry just not getting to the right spots or using his pace to any effect. Seems to be flat footed at the wrong times and doesn’t read the play as much as we want him to. Hope it comes along soon..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Saw someone on FB saw they should get 10-20 supporters in each week to talk to the players at training and let em know how it feels to watch their sh*t every year.

Is it bad that I'd genuinely want to do that? It's a stupid FB comment but if given the opportunity I'd 100% do it.
I mean, do you reckon if you went it to work each day and had 10-20 people shouting at you about how much you hurt them by your work performance that you would get better at your job or want to stay at said job?

I mean, do you reckon if you went it to work each day and had 10-20 people shouting at you about how much you hurt them by your work performance that you would get better at your job or want to stay at said job?
Well I'd be hurt myself but I'd wanna work my arse off to get better.

If my work was so bad that I was affecting other people badly I would expect to get the arse. If these guys can’t take a bit of criticism as they are earning their $400+ each year with 10 weeks holiday they can go and get ****ed

Learn how to f'in tackle properly. Just because the umps rarely call throws and htb doesn't mean you shouldn't wrap your ******* tackles. Did all the hard work applying the pressure in qtr 1 and then let the ball carrier get their arms free, get the ball to an outlet and completely released the pressure valve for Carlton. I would seriously pay Bowers to train them. I find it incredible her technique is way better than every single one of Freo's male players that are paid a crap load more to play footy. Those missed tackles were a huge reason for the mounting pressure on our defenders early. The reward for effort ratio makes this the #1 priority before next week imo.

Agree with all of your post, but point 1 is bang on. So frustrating today for dozens of slipped tackles. Need some Turbo technique.

Well I'd be hurt myself but I'd wanna work my arse off to get better.
Really? Pretty sure the guys are working pretty hard to get better. I’m also confident most people wouldn’t “be their best selves” in that situation but all the power to you if you would, it’s honestly an impressive trait to have.

Last edited:
If my work was so bad that I was affecting other people badly I would expect to get the arse. If these guys can’t take a bit of criticism as they are earning their $400+ each year with 10 weeks holiday they can go and get f’ed
Strongly disagree that hurling abuse at our players will make them play better but we can agree to disagree

Really? Pretty sure the guys are working pretty hard to get better. I’m also confident most people wouldn’t “be there best selves” in that situation but all the power to you if you would, it’s honestly an impressive trait to have.
Some are working hard, some are earning a pay cheque

Remove this Banner Ad

Back