Review Round 3, 2021 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

There has to be a level of realistic expectations when Jones debuts cause he's exactly that, a debutant. We tend to get over excited about our youngsters.

Would he offer better then Hartlett has the past two weeks, highly likely yes at the moment. But the expectations have to be realistic, he's a kid.

Personally I'd like him to debut Friday night, but what you don't want to happen is Dusty drag him deep into defence which is something Richmond would look to do I feel.
Yep, agreed. I wonder if Hamish needs a run in the Maggies to get his touch back, he’s struggled the past two weeks.

If you want to see a picture that sums up where this game went wrong:

1617519428530.png

Look at the West Coast players working hard to get back into defence and help out their teammates - Duursma is being tackled by Sheed, and you can see six Eagles players about to swarm on one Port Adelaide player if he doesn't mark the ball. You aren't winning any game when the opposition is running harder than you are when you have the ball.

Eagles were up to bounce back from their loss to the Bulldogs and knew how hard they had to work if they were going to beat us at our best. We came in fat and bored instead of lean and hungry for the contest, which is why West Coast was able to win so many loose ball gets.

Luke Shuey takes his footy to another level when he plays us, & that’s squarely on us. Looking forward to SPP coming back into the team, at least he makes the opposition earn their possession. Last night, half the team didnt seem to GAF!.

If you're so worry about injuries perhaps you should be telling the cheat to stop ducking his head into swinging arms.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Late in the game Duursma did exactly what Shuey has made a signature move and the umpire waved play on. They will never make a stand against this sort of thing at AFL House.

View attachment 1093836

Look at the West Coast players working hard to get back into defence and help out their teammates - Duursma is being tackled by Sheed, and you can see six Eagles players about to swarm on one Port Adelaide player if he doesn't mark the ball. You aren't winning any game when the opposition is running harder than you are when you have the ball.

Eagles were up to bounce back from their loss to the Bulldogs and knew how hard they had to work if they were going to beat us at our best. We came in fat and bored instead of lean and hungry for the contest, which is why West Coast was able to win so many loose ball gets.
Yep, it stood out like dog's balls ... it was like there were double the amount of Eagles players out there.

Late in the game Duursma did exactly what Shuey has made a signature move and the umpire waved play on. They will never make a stand against this sort of thing at AFL House.
Umpiring had nothing to do with yesterday’s unacceptable effort. A part of the reason the Selwoods & Shueys get away with ducking into the tackle is because they are first to the ball. We were 1-2 metres behind our direct opponent most of the night.

Umpiring had nothing to do with yesterday’s unacceptable effort. A part of the reason the Selwoods & Shueys get away with ducking into the tackle is because they are first to the ball. We were 1-2 metres behind our direct opponent most of the night.

Please remind me where i said umpiring had anything to do with yesterday's unacceptable effort.

Have had a quick look through BF but has anyone addressed why we couldn’t stay on our feet? From the first bounce we fumbled, dropped, slipped. Better in the second half but just wondered if anyone from the club mentioned it. I know it was wet but it didn’t seem to worry Wet Toast.

Have had a quick look through BF but has anyone addressed why we couldn’t stay on our feet? From the first bounce we fumbled, dropped, slipped. Better in the second half but just wondered if anyone from the club mentioned it. I know it was wet but it didn’t seem to worry Wet Toast.

I got no idea how this is possible but the exact same stuff happened vs Norwood. We couldn’t get any clean hands on it and Norwood was as slick as West Coast. It’s like I was watching the same game twice.

I got no idea how this is possible but the exact same stuff happened vs Norwood. We couldn’t get any clean hands on it and Norwood was as slick as West Coast. It’s like I was watching the same game twice.

It looked exactly the same, which is concerning.

Please remind me where i said umpiring had anything to do with yesterday's unacceptable effort.
Arguing about specific umpiring calls is a waste of time. Sometimes it lands on heads, sometimes tails. They‘re human & are prone to errors like the rest of us.

More focus should be why we failed to quickly adjust & set up to a losing ruck out of the middle.

Most of the things they did seemed to work. Whether it was a perfect tap straight down the throat or to advantage or fluke kick out of the middle, it seemed to land in someone’s lap.
Also our lack of pressure at centre bounces after they were beginning to establish ascendancy was frustrating and I wonder whether that was what that little discussion between Ken and Schofield was about.
To me it looked like not all of our guys were prepared for a serious game of footy against one of the better sides.

The first half was a pretty good indicator, were still a side that can’t be trusted to turn up and play 4 quarters.

It happened for 2 of the 4 quarters against North, the last against Essendon (who had what 3 or 4 injured players)

And when you do that crap against a good side like west coast, they punish you. It was game over at 1/4 time and looked on track for 100 points early in the second.

3 weeks straight we haven’t been to the level we should be. We got away with it abasing this sh*t sides and got found out against the first decent side we’ve played this year.

Stuff letting the group respond, time to make the changes.
What changes exactly? The one player I'd like to get in in Rockliff is unavailable due to the concussion rules, outside of that there's what Bergman who I thought played well the first two games for a kid, Jones a debutant, McKenzie but he may need another game or two in the Maggies, Hayes, but we don't really need another tall against Richmond, though I'm not against dropping Ladhams, outside of that you back the players to get the job done this week and bounce back. Hartlett may come out but there's not many more who'd come out.

Only changes I could see is Hartlett out for Bergman, and possibly Ladhams for Jones.

The team can clearly be trusted, they showed it last year, they had a bad game last night, but every side has had that this year bar Sydney & the Dogs this year. But apparently last season never happened, that's the consensus I read everywhere and on here.

It's probably the best thing for us to get a kick up the ass early in the year. We'd been talking ourselves up after the first two games and our pre season so I'm looking for a response come Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1093836

Agreed, too many of our `runners' are happy to run forward of the ball, but don't work anywhere near hard enough the other way.
It is one of the major reasons why north and essendon scored too many easy goals against us, it has been happening for a long time and it will keep happening until the coach does something about it.

As much as it sucks it's not doomsday. Few issues that need to be sorted out though. In our three worst losses since the start of last year (Round 5 vs Brisbane, Round 12 vs Geelong, tonight) we have been destroyed at centre clearances and generally battered at stoppages. We need some sort of safety measure for when this occurs. Our defensive setup was woeful but I'll put this down to a horrible day rather than a trend. We do need to work out how to press with the new rules as West Coast moved the ball from D50 to forward half with frightening ease. The four tall forward option setup had positives and negatives. Marshall and Georgiades were our highest goalscorers and individually can't be faulted for their performances. Nevertheless, having the extra tall seriously messed with the balance we had found with Dixon and Georgiades creating contests and the small forwards crumbing around them and creating that sustained pressure. It's one bad game. Really irritating how many negative bandwagoners there are, especially considering they were happy to celebrate when we made the prelim final last year.
Most of the things they did seemed to work. Whether it was a perfect tap straight down the throat or to advantage or fluke kick out of the middle, it seemed to land in someone’s lap.
Also our lack of pressure at centre bounces after they were beginning to establish ascendancy was frustrating and I wonder whether that was what that little discussion between Ken and Schofield was about.
To me it looked like not all of our guys were prepared for a serious game of footy against one of the better sides.
One aspect of our football or our discipline that annoys me is why our players continue to play from behind and NOT in Front particularly when quick kicks forward are more often the norm.

It looked exactly the same, which is concerning.

Makes me wonder if the best 22 that rocked up to watch the SANFL game were actually studying what was going wrong and how they can fix it and apply it to the AFL game 2 days later. There should have been a heavy emphasis on clean hands and overall pressure on the oppo.

Ken even mentioned those 2 things post AFL game. He said our gameplan is built on pressure.

So Bergman was the sub last night, and now his tally will show he’s currently played 3 AFL games, when in reality, he’s only played 2 if we’re being honest.

This is going to fudge so many players career games tallies.

“Oh, he played 50 AFL games but 20 of them were as the medical sub”

We’ll still manage to miss out on an incredible father-son by <5 games

When we had s**t last halves and quarters under Choco you at least knew it was intentional and the team was playing to (silly and counter productive) coaching directives, but we always reset properly during the week, we were well drilled and focused if not always coached effectively.

Under Ken it feels 100% mental, a decrease in effort and attitude, an acceptance of just waiting for the siren, and that lack of ruthlessness and drive actually carries through the week.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Arguing about specific umpiring calls is a waste of time. Sometimes it lands on heads, sometimes tails.

Players like Selwood and Shuey seem to be playing with weighted coins though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back