Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the coaching staff are/may be sticking with him longer than a usual player because he does actually have AFL level attributes that can make him a good player. Yes he's been poor, but there's blokes in the AFL that actually bring nothing to the table at that level.
And because he's seen as someone who can the play the bits and pieces role that we use him for. - 2nd tall, wing, half forward. I think we've burnt him a fair bit by not giving him a consistent role and thinking he was better and more versatile than he is.

And because he's seen as someone who can the play the bits and pieces role that we use him for. - 2nd tall, wing, half forward. I think we've burnt him a fair bit by not giving him a consistent role and thinking he was better and more versatile than he is.
Yep, spot on. Plus he is still contracted for 2 years so it would be hard to be paying him for playing VFL

He is 1 of our Best Skilled Players with Ball in Hand but since 2019 does not get enough of the Ball and Offers next to nothing when he does NOT have the Ball
We need to shift his role so he can start getting ball in hand.

No no no no no no.

What we need to do is remove him from our team, because he's been a complete detriment to our team 8/10 games for the past 2.5 years.
I’d agree except we don’t have depth so success this year will be dependent on getting the best out of what we got

We need to shift his role so he can start getting ball in hand.
We need to just give him one role - he's not a smart enough player to be the one who constantly shifts and changes his role like he has done for the last 2 years. I'd drop him to the VFL and play him in defence for a few weeks to see if he could be an upgrade on Madgen.

...Wilbur is an outside player that is best suited to the wing and half forward line where he can run, use his athelatism to work over his opponent and use his excellent ball skills to deliver the ball to forwards. Example A in the first quarter. Wilbur uses his athleticism to work forward and kick an occasional goal or work back and be an outlet for defense...
I was a big WHE fan, but the vision showed that athleticism very lacking, and the desire to own the pill very lacking.

If we play him again this week - and I fully do not think he deserves to - then he needs to be a pack-marking Full Forward and that's it.

Buckley will probably make him captain after this.
That is damning footage, but he will not swing the axe , he will single out someone like Cal brown who was not the worst player we had , in a real football world where good coaches see that from 3 or 4 players all would be in the seconds the following week, Buckley will go with " we lost because of poor connection to our forwards" , and only one of those 3 or 4 players will get dropped, i watched every second of that game and a replay , and WHE,JT, were terrible and have been for quite a while, Madgen is not good enough but can't knock him for effort ,Mayne is passed it and not coming off the ground also contributed to our loss.
Until these players stop being gifted games by Bucks we are going backwards this year, need to blood a few of our young guys and get games into them ,maybe we will uncover a gem or two. Also Buckley needs to go is in total denial of where this team is at. Just my opinion from watching every game we play and replays of them.Oh and on a side note we are going no where with Cox as our ff ,has a flash in the pan game once a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see whe didn't move defensively In the last 45 seconds and allowed Brisbane players free down the corridor.

Must've been exaughsted from his 6 touches 0 tackles. fu** him off to the vfl
Found David king's analysis pretty shallow. I would drop WHE this week as he has had 2 really bad matches in 3.

Still in the last plays of the game he was the only player who showed much urgency. Once the Sidebottom kick was marked he was on the mark so couldn't move. Once play on was called he tried to block the kick then sprinted to the centre corridor in our 50 to impact the next kick. Once that kick cleared the area he was our deepest player and was still working in anticipation of the contest up the ground spilling our way. He was way off being able to impact the Rich kick.

Thomas and Daics could have made more effort to block the corridor, Pendles was slow of foot and didn't push back hard but may have been spent and De G was the biggest culprit. He was involved in that contest but really made no more than a token defensive effort.

In the whole time of that last play WHE was the only Collingwood player who really got on his bike and sprinted to the next contest. After that he was well out of the play and not in a position to do any more

Too much overanalysis of the last two minutes of the game. You could drop half the side if that was the measuring stick.

As others have said WHE has played two bad games out of three, and that’s coming off an indifferent 2020.

Time to mix it up and change structure completely. I’d bring in Cameron for WHE. C Brown to go out for McCreery, simply on the grounds that he isn’t damaging with ball in hand

I’d retain Thomas who is playing pretty good football. Mayne was also good last week until he got his head smashed in. Madgen also to stay for the moment.

Think also more criticism should fall to De Goey, just like the 2018 GF, the guy plays the second half a match spectating from the stands.

WHE is already a known quantity when it comes to that already, except for Bucks .

We need some players in the team with hunger.

Sadly Whe isnt one of those.

I find it baffling people on this board think he is a utility and can plug holes.

He is a soft downhill skiing easy opportunist forward and nothing more

You expect his output from a first year player or a disgruntled player about to be delisted in round 22

Yep, spot on. Plus he is still contracted for 2 years so it would be hard to be paying him for playing VFL

Another ridiculous contract, and people wonder why we had a fire sale giving away 3 best 22 players , and paying part of their contracts to play against us, gross mismanagement and farcical, the lunatics have taken over the asylum

He has talent but when you never show it and are as soft as a packet of marshmallows which is costing us big time, you just have to go. Take he and Thomas out of the forward line see more bite.

C Brown been the 1 dropped. WHE and Thomas keep there Spots vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back