Opinion Commentary & Media V

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The spud named Will Schofield has potted Ben Cunnington on 6PR perth radio, asked who was the roos best player he named Ben but was quick to add that he would not make it in the top 22 of most of the top clubs in the AFL

Ah good old Will Schofield. The only reason he played in 2018 GF is because Sheppard done his hammy in Prelim.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All I said is:
  • I don't reckon he's as good as what the article makes out.
  • Also, I don't think he's as bad as many on here make out.
That's all I really want to say about it. I'd prefer to focus on what's happening with the game next weekend and gradually convince myself we're a chance of winning over the week only to be bitterly disappointed come Sunday night then wonder how I could have ever let myself think we were even a chance of winning in the first place. How do you let yourself get sucked in every $%$$#%^ week!?!

Thanks.
I have no illusions of where the club is at and know we are in for a long hard road.

I just get sick of hearing about how great Brad Scott was and how the club didn’t listen to him, when a lot of the reality of our current situation falls on how he and Joyce managed our list over the course of his tenure. The media at the moment are making out like Brad Scott was some kind of great coach that we treated unfairly, when the reality was that he should have been sacked after 2017. We just gave him two more years to really destroy the list.

Im not prepared to judge the current regime until they have had time to clear the crap and get their own list in place. But don’t worry if they aren’t cutting the mustard they will then need to be held to account.

Apr 29, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hall shouldn't get another game but Young has been pretty good imo. Obviously played a shocker against his old team, but perseverance is needed with some.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Totally agree. I just can’t cop Hall anymore.

I hate putting our players down but I’ve just lost all respect for the way he plays.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
I have no illusions of where the club is at and know we are in for a long hard road.

I just get sick of hearing about how great Brad Scott was and how the club didn’t listen to him, when a lot of the reality of our current situation falls on how he and Joyce managed our list over the course of his tenure. The media at the moment are making out like Brad Scott was some kind of great coach that we treated unfairly, when the reality was that he should have been sacked after 2017. We just gave him two more years to really destroy the list.

Im not prepared to judge the current regime until they have had time to clear the crap and get their own list in place. But don’t worry if they aren’t cutting the mustard they will then need to be held to account.

We were chasing dusty/Kelly in in 2017 and only signed him to show those guys stability.
We missed the players and were stuck with Brad - copped the double whammy

Jul 19, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
GRM, Williams
An elephant in the room.
The capacity of Marvel is 53359.
75% capacity is 40000.
We had 28000 for this GF marquee game. No other games on. Two Melbourne teams.
I know it’s a reasonable crowd for North game but really, it’s unsustainable and shite for a marquee game right?

Feb 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
An elephant in the room.
75% capacity is 40000.
I know it’s a reasonable crowd for North game but really, it’s unsustainable and sh*te for a marquee game right?
Why is the Good Friday game considered the marquee game? Basically every game this round given it’s played Thursday-Monday has a sense of a stand-alone fixture. If they pulled it off us I wouldn’t care. Move us to 3.20 on Easter Sunday and I am still going. We will get better time slots when we come good on field. We had 5 Friday night and 1 Thursday night game in 2016 when we were last a good footy team. Start winning again and we will get what we deserve.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
We will get better time slots when we come good on field.

To some extent, yes.

Without knowing the $ from Good Friday I wonder if we'd be worse off if that was taken off us and we were instead given a standalone home Friday night game at some stage of the season.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Ah good old Will Schofield. The only reason he played in 2018 GF is because Sheppard done his hammy in Prelim.
Subject to the worst crowd sledge I've ever heard: "You're s**t, Schofield. You're only on our list because you're a premiership player."

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
An elephant in the room.
75% capacity is 40000.
I know it’s a reasonable crowd for North game but really, it’s unsustainable and sh*te for a marquee game right?
Doubtful it's ever going to be a regular full house, and that's got more to do with the specific day than any other factor.

IMO 28k is fine considering the circumstances. We're s**t, ticketing is ******* garbage, and some people are still worried about crowds and getting infected.

Hall shouldn't get another game but Young has been pretty good imo. Obviously played a shocker against his old team, but perseverance is needed with some.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The worst part about Hall is that he started the game on fire. He was really up and about and nailed a really nice goal. Then he gave up a horrible turnover coming out of defence and went completely downhill from there. Unfortunately, that shows a complete lack of resilience. Very disappointing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Doubtful it's ever going to be a regular full house, and that's got more to do with the specific day than any other factor.

IMO 28k is fine considering the circumstances. We're sh*t, ticketing is ******* garbage, and some people are still worried about crowds and getting infected.
Also people going away for Easter

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne

IMO 28k is fine considering the circumstances. We're sh*t, ticketing is ******* garbage, and some people are still worried about crowds and getting infected.
People also need to understand that being a 4 day holiday, a lot of people take the opportunity to go away and spend some time with family.

The footy media need to recognise that this game is about helping the Good Friday Appeal. If we are failing that task, then by all means take it away from us. But from what I can see the club does a power of work with the Royal Children’s Hospital and really embraces that part of the day.

At any given point at time football clubs will be at their lowest performance wise, does that mean that if Collingwood or Essendon bottom out, that Anzac Day should be stripped from them?

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anyone able to post this HS article about north here?

Attachments

• 75D071EF-6E3C-43E9-ADD1-13B839721DEB.jpeg
    75D071EF-6E3C-43E9-ADD1-13B839721DEB.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 83

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who wrote that GR?

Dropping Lachie Young would be a dreadful example to set. His mistakes were all from trying to switch play into the corridor. They were ill-chosen unless he had executed them perfectly, but isn't that the new game plan? Isn't that exactly why supporters are being asked to show patience?
Drop him and you're telling his teammates that mistakes in implementing the game plan are being punished. The last thing we need is a bunch of talented kids going into their shells, surely?

Last edited:
Who wrote that GR?

Dropping Lachie Young would be a dreadful example to set. His mistakes were ask from trying to switch play into the corridor. They were ill-chosen unless he had executed them perfectly, but isn't that the new game plan? Isn't that exactly why supporters are being asked to show patience?
Drop him and you're telling his teammates that mistakes in implementing the game plan are being punished. The last thing we need is a bunch of talented kids going into their shells, surely?

Young's execution stunk and that is something he has to work on but the problem isn't Young, it is our gameplan. We turned a lot of ball over in the corridor but a big problem is the kicker (Young in this example) and the target (I assume one of our players) were typically both flat footed, that means the opposition press is sweating on the target and your kick has to be spot on.

When you are in motion, like say Young was running through the corridor and we had a player running into space then Young's kick wouldn't need to be that accurate, he would just have to stick it out in front and the team mate can just adjust direction and speed. When you are flat footed and the ball is a few meters off and there is opposition setup to pressure space, you are going to turn over the ball.

Momentum is such a critical factor and it is not something we are using well at all and it is putting ourselves under a lot more pressure. We have had 3 coaches in 3 years, totally different assistants yet we have the same on-ball problems, the work rate between the arcs, there is no system to create space or use numbers or anything. I am not sure how much the message has changed from one coach to another or if players are executing what is asked of them or not but generally when we can get some meaningful movement we can transition the ball, it just seems too often we don't have the players doing what is required to move the ball and the Dogs schooled us on ball movement.

Who wrote that GR?

Dropping Lachie Young would be a dreadful example to set. His mistakes were all from trying to switch play into the corridor. They were ill-chosen unless he had executed them perfectly, but isn't that the new game plan? Isn't that exactly why supporters are being asked to show patience?
Robbo.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
An elephant in the room.
75% capacity is 40000.

It’s not the elephant in the room if everyone is talking about it.

Look at all the crowds this season so far and they are all well down on normal expectations, even for teams doing well. People are getting used to the new ticketing system slowly (not helped by poor service from the providers) and there is still a lot of nervousness about being in crowds and on public transport.

If there is an elephant in the room it’s the possibility that a year off has not made everyone more keen to go to games, but has made space in their lives that they actually quite enjoy.

Jul 27, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hmmmm.

I feel like he has a relationship with someone at the club at the moment, I hope he hasn't written this article based on some oil he's been given.
It’s an interesting point for sure.

he certainly has merit in the intent of maintaining standards, however his target is not the right one IMO

what is he 10 games into his career?

pin Atley ffs or someone like that

It’s not the elephant in the room if everyone is talking about it.

Look at all the crowds this season so far and they are all well down on normal expectations, even for teams doing well. People are getting used to the new ticketing system slowly (not helped by poor service from the providers) and there is still a lot of nervousness about being in crowds and on public transport.

If there is an elephant in the room it’s the possibility that a year off has not made everyone more keen to go to games, but has made space in their lives that they actually quite enjoy.
We're missing a couple of club stalwarts so far this year as they have discovered that there are apparently things to do with their families as opposed to chasing a ball and having a couple of quieties with some of their donut mates. 🙃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back