Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

DeBoer is a freak though. He does it week in week out. It's not easy to do. Can't just tap a bloke on the shoulder and tell him to stop Clarry from getting the ball and expect him to do it. DeBoer is arguably the best in the game at it. But yes, Clarry should expect more attention and he needs to find a way through it..

DeBoer is a freak though. He does it week in week out. It's not easy to do. Can't just tap a bloke on the shoulder and tell him to stop Clarry from getting the ball and expect him to do it. DeBoer is arguably the best in the game at it. But yes, Clarry should expect more attention and he needs to find a way through it..

I reckon tagging is piss easy to do, I used to do it and loved it. Really wasn't that difficult at all and the cats did it easily against Brisbane last week

Worst game I've seen him play.
Garbage effort and let himself get tagged easily. Will he take it an learn or is that the norm now? Because if I was another teams coach I'd go hard at him now

I’d love to know why we didn’t send someone like Jones to de Boer to get between him and Oliver.

De Boer is best in the business when it comes to tagging. Not every team can just throw a player on Clarry and do that job week in week out. Clarry didn’t deal well with it last night. But managed to work his way back into it once the tag from De Boar fell away. Let’s hope Clarry learns from this. Although not the first time De Boar had got him.

De Boer is best in the business when it comes to tagging. Not every team can just throw a player on Clarry and do that job week in week out. Clarry didn’t deal well with it last night. But managed to work his way back into it once the tag from De Boar fell away. Let’s hope Clarry learns from this. Although not the first time De Boar had got him.
Lol Geelong threw a 3rd year Irishman on Lachie Neale and smashed him, very new generation thought to think tagging is hard. It's pretty easy to tag a bloke especially one that doesn't really have the skills to go forward.

Lol Geelong threw a 3rd year Irishman on Lachie Neale and smashed him, very new generation thought to think tagging is hard. It's pretty easy to tag a bloke especially one that doesn't really have the skills to go forward.
I’m pretty sure O’Connor wouldn’t be doing that every time. Tagging the elite mids week in week our isn’t as easy as you think and coaches don’t always want to blanket one player as not many taggers can get kicks there way.

I’m pretty sure O’Connor wouldn’t be doing that every time. Tagging the elite mids week in week our isn’t as easy as you think and coaches don’t always want to blanket one player as not many taggers can get kicks there way.
Who cares if the taggers get kicks? The idea is to stop the opposition's best. That's like saying why play a FB on a FF when the FB won't get to rebound much. I'd be tagging as often as I could if I was coach. Doesn't have to be the same bloke either you can roll different blokes through them all day to keep em mentally fresh.

Who cares if the taggers get kicks? The idea is to stop the opposition's best. That's like saying why play a FB on a FF when the FB won't get to rebound much. I'd be tagging as often as I could if I was coach. Doesn't have to be the same bloke either you can roll different blokes through them all day to keep em mentally fresh.
I get that. But coaches don’t always tag. You know, premiership coaches. Anyway I’ve seen Clarry and others burn off a tagger pretty easily. It doesn’t always work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting how much Max talked up Clarry in his post match interview with MFC. Might be some Mayo on it from Max just to talk up a teammate but he twice mentioned how well Clarry did the team things etc despite not having his normal offensive influence.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The most love/hate relationship of any player I've ever had.

Last week it was love. This week i was embarrassed. Callan Ward must have been laughing his arse off during their push and shove before the start of the third quarter bounce.

Twas quite the little hissy fit from Clayton.

Last edited:
Needs a set shot routine that isn’t dogshit. He has no momentum and just stabs at it. Staggers me players in the modern era don’t have their proper own set shot routine, it really isn’t hard.
It's more than that aswell I reckon it's between the ears. Go back and watch plugger or chief or any of the great forwards kick. It's a couple of casual steps and a fluid motion. Way more relaxed because they lived on goals. They expected to kick em.

When blokes line up how it's a long run up, it's stiff it's bloody overly mechanical. Weight of the world on their shoulders

Might have been good timing. Clarry got a wakeup call right before a game that will be tough to win. We didn't really need him to star against GWS, but we'll need him to be closer to his best to beat Geeling. Hopefully he'll be revved up and very focussed next week.

It’s a good move to tag him. He doesn’t have a big impact if you throw him forward like say Petracca, and you can’t really put him behind the ball.

We just need to work out some other options if the tag is working, like get him playing tight on an opposition mid so that we get someone else loose at the stoppages.

Might have been good timing. Clarry got a wakeup call right before a game that will be tough to win. We didn't really need him to star against GWS, but we'll need him to be closer to his best to beat Geeling. Hopefully he'll be revved up and very focussed next week.
If he’s getting tagged it means everyone else has less to deal with. It’s not as though Clarry is so damaging that we lose a lot offensively if he gets tagged out of it. Better him being tagged than Trac.

If he’s getting tagged it means everyone else has less to deal with. It’s not as though Clarry is so damaging that we lose a lot offensively if he gets tagged out of it. Better him being tagged than Trac.
I agree, but nevertheless, you'd hope he's been getting some masterclasses on how to deal with a tag this week. After what happened on Saturday, every coach is going to shut him down in the same way. It's part of his evolution as a player. I might be in the minority, but I think Clarry has considerable improvement left in him if he works at his weaknesses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back