Draft Watcher Bastyy's 2021 AFL Draft Watch - Phantom V2 in post #154

Remove this Banner Ad

Got to watch the last 3 quarters of the GWV Rebels and Geelong Falcons last night. A few players stood out but no one particularly dominated the game

Ben Hobbs could have definitely done more but when he got the ball he looked dangerous, hopefully it’s just a bit of rust and he builds into it during the year.

Blake Scott from the Bulldogs NGA was a real surprise, his bursts of speed in the forward line made him stand out and he really took on the contest and looked great with ball in hand, 2 goals really helped him stand out too

Josh Gibscus and Charlie Molan made a great defensive duo. I was more of a fan of Molan but Gibscus looks a definite prospect

Josh Rentsch and Jye Lockett had their moments, but the star of the Rebels forward line for me was Sam Butler. It’s hard to talk about a brother when draft watching because you’re going to compare them to their sibling/s, but I thought Butler was particularly productive in the forward line, laying tackles and kicking goals

Michael Knevitt for Geelong had a great run down tackle on the interchange side wing in the 3rd and he kept bobbing up every now and then which made me write his name down, looks an interesting prospect

Not too many others were standouts. Hamish Sinnott and Flynn Young were the only names I wrote down after some impressive moments.

Going to miss the Eastern Ranges vs Calder Cannons game today, so I won’t have any notes for that

Last edited:

Got to watch the last 3 quarters of the GWV Rebels and Geelong Falcons last week. A few players stood out but no one particularly dominated the game

Ben Hobbs could have definitely done more but when he got the ball he looked dangerous, hopefully it’s just a bit of rust and he builds into it during the year.

Blake Scott from the Bulldogs NGA was a real surprise, his bursts of speed in the forward line made him stand out and he really took on the contest and looked great with ball in hand, 2 goals really helped him stand out too

Josh Gibscus and Charlie Molan made a great defensive duo. I was more of a fan of Molan but Gibscus looks a definite prospect

Josh Rentsch and Jye Lockett had their moments, but the star of the Rebels forward line for me was Sam Butler. It’s hard to talk about a brother when draft watching because you’re going to compare them to their sibling/s, but I thought Butler was particularly productive in the forward line, laying tackles and kicking goals

Michael Knevitt for Geelong had a great run down tackle on the interchange side wing in the 3rd and he kept bobbing up every now and then which made me write his name down, looks an interesting prospect

Not too many others were standouts. Hamish Sinnott and Flynn Young were the only names I wrote down after some impressive moments.

Going to miss the Eastern Ranges vs Calder Cannons game today, so I won’t have any notes for that

i only saw a bit of the game, but Blake Scott stood out for me, had to look up who the #10 was.

Got to watch the last 3 quarters of the GWV Rebels and Geelong Falcons last week. A few players stood out but no one particularly dominated the game

Did Henry Walsh ruck for Geelong?

A few standouts in the 2 WAFL Colts games that took place today

Neil Erasmus stood up in a pretty weak Subiaco side, playing in the centre rather then at half forward and ending up with 28 Disposals, 9 Marks, 1 Goal and 1 Behind. Reckon he won't stay around the colts for long and will play Reserves soon enough

The WA tall forwards really took over today. Jye Amiss scored 4 goals in the first quarter for East Perth and finished with 5.2. Luke Polson scored 5 goals straight to almost inspire Peel Thunder to a win over East Fremantle, ending the game with 18 Disposals alongside the goals. Jack Williams ended the day with 4.4 but went pretty quiet in the second half

East Fremantle's midfield really stood up. Taj Woewodin got 21 Disposals, 5 Tackles, 7 Inside 50's and 1 Goal. Joshua Browne had 27 disposals, 5 tackles, 5 inside 50's and 2 goals and Corey Warner ended up with 22 disposals, 5 inside 50's and a behind.

The most disappointing player of the day was Judd McVee, who was quiet all game only having 10 disposals and a goal, expected a bit more from him especially when the rest of the midfield was performing so well

The last player I want to point out is Kade Dittmar for East Perth, 19 disposals and 3.4 goals. If Dittmar can become a goal kicking mid I think he'll rise up the rankings and today was a good glimpse. Combine that with his classy nature and clean disposal he looks a pretty complete player

South Fremantle vs West Perth and Claremont vs Swan Districts tomorrow, few standout names to watch include: Kane Bevan (Tall Forward/West Perth, 2022), Lachlan Turley (Tall Defender/South Fremantle), Riley Colborne (Outside Utility/South Fremantle, Freo NGA), Lochlan Paton (Inside Midfielder/West Perth), Zachary Fleiner (Dashing Half Back/West Perth), Jesse Motlop (Small Forward/South Fremantle, Freo NGA), Lawson Humphries (Classy Half Back/Swan Districts, WC NGA), Max Chipper (Balanced Midfielder/Swan Districts), Luke Taylor (Tall Forward/Swan Districts), Rhett Bazzo (Tall Utility/Swan Districts) and Luke Brown (Tall Forward/Claremont, 2022)

McKee and Bartlett from EF always seem to attract a lot of hype re their potential, yet have produced very little in the EF colts games they have played so far, which admittedly aren't very many. I know McVee had a great u/16 carnival a few years back....so will be interesting to see if he even gets drafted...also Bartlett too. Browne seems a monty for getting drafted, whilst Woewodin might work his way up the ladder as a Melbourne F/S pick.

Last edited:
McKee and Bartlett from EF always seem to get attract a lot of hype re their potential, yet have produced very little in the EF colts games they have played so far, which admittedly aren't very many. I know McVee had a great u/16 carnival a few years back....so will be interesting to see if he even gets drafted...also Bartlett too. Browne seems a monty for getting drafted, whilst Woewodin might work his way up the ladder as a Melbourne F/S pick.
Yeah I've hoped for a lot more from both of them, especially Bartlett. I'm a big Woewodin fan, think he get's drafted this year if his form continues, Browne could go top 20 as well, but might need to have a big carnival for something like that to happen

Missed out on seeing the Devils vs the Cannons yesterday, but heading down to the Devils vs Eastern Ranges next week, hopefully going to see some more of Sonsie and Soligo as well as the usual Tassie suspects

On the Tassie topic, how's Sam Sherriff been?

Can he stake a claim for Tassie's No. 2?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that we're starting to get some replays I can finally work on some sort of complete top 30 without have to worry about missing players due to not catching the games live

Early days but for me Sam Banks is a definite Top 15 pick. No idea how long he's out with his injury sustained yesterday but watching him live he looked seriously good. I still think he plays his best football as a midfielder, but he definitely doesn't look out of place as a half back.

Now that we're starting to get some replays I can finally work on some sort of complete top 30 without have to worry about missing players due to not catching the games live

Early days but for me Sam Banks is a definite Top 15 pick. No idea how long he's out with his injury sustained yesterday but watching him live he looked seriously good. I still think he plays his best football as a midfielder, but he definitely doesn't look out of place as a half back.
I prefer him down back personally, better on the outside and his kicking is better behind the ball aswell as it’s too rushed in the heat of the midfield imo.

Left him out of my updated top 20 before watching any of his games this year but he is certainly still in the frame.

I prefer him down back personally, better on the outside and his kicking is better behind the ball aswell as it’s too rushed in the heat of the midfield imo.

Left him out of my updated top 20 before watching any of his games this year but he is certainly still in the frame.
You're not wrong, but I think if he can put on a bit more size he could almost end up in a David Mundy type role as someone who gets the ball inside and uses it cleanly, he does get rushed a bit under pressure but with experience that's something he'll get better at.

Be interesting to see where Banks floats around most charts this season, I think he should be on most peoples top 20's but if he's out for a while with injury he could fall out for some.

You're not wrong, but I think if he can put on a bit more size he could almost end up in a David Mundy type role as someone who gets the ball inside and uses it cleanly, he does get rushed a bit under pressure but with experience that's something he'll get better at.

Be interesting to see where Banks floats around most charts this season, I think he should be on most peoples top 20's but if he's out for a while with injury he could fall out for some.
I’m don’t think his contested game is as good as Mundys but he might be more inclined once he puts on size.

Would love to see how he goes at champs which is what will help me really get a good reading on where players are at, that goes for every states players really.

I’m don’t think his contested game is as good as Mundys but he might be more inclined once he puts on size.

Would love to see how he goes at champs which is what will help me really get a good reading on where players are at, that goes for every states players really.
Allies should be interesting to watch this year. Banks, Harris and Fahey makes up a very good defence. From what I saw yesterday I think Lowe and Holmes deserve a call up for Champs, and Gardner/McLeod both good as well

Allies should be interesting to watch this year. Banks, Harris and Fahey makes up a very good defence. From what I saw yesterday I think Lowe and Holmes deserve a call up for Champs, and Gardner/McLeod both good as well
Where do you see Fahey being drafted.
Late first/ early second seems to be where I m seeing.
Hoping it comes after our first pick, hopefully that's at 18 😀

Where do you see Fahey being drafted.
Late first/ early second seems to be where I m seeing.
Hoping it comes after our first pick, hopefully that's at 18 😀
Early on in the year I had him in my top 10, he's probably fallen out now but I think Fahey's a very good player. You're probably bang on the money for late first round. He has one of, if not the best, kicks in this draft class and it's something recruiters won't overlook. Will fit in very well in GWS's already young backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back