• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

I wouldn't be looking to invest any resources into acquiring a player. If someone like Kelly or Merrett are available, and they cost you nothing but salary cap, you have to consider it. Both have the quality disposal and speed required to be different enough to our current midfielders that similarity doesn't become a problem. The only way that happens is if Essendon or GWS finish bottom 4 and get a guaranteed high compensation pick because otherwise I think they match looking for two first round picks.

I'm also not sure we're an attractive destination at this stage of our rebuild.

If we have to give up our first round picks I'd say no. We're at a very crucial part of our rebuild and we're coming up to a draft stacked with classy, quick midfielders. Rather than established players we should be focusing on getting two or first round picks and really hitting the draft.

Absolutely spot on. As the season progresses we will be shown to be miles off the pace and in need of a substantial injection of youth.

Our list is super thin for elite talent. Getting one top elite player won't have a great enough effect to make it worthwhile IMO.

We need an accurate mix of quality AND quantity. Going after a Kelly or Merrett on big coin gets us quality, but lessens the chance of getting quantity.

The targets should be those who will not cost a huge chunk of salary and are yet to crack into the elite category, but are showing the signs of getting there. Get, say, 4 or 5 of those types over the next couple of years and if 3 of them make it to the elite category, we will have achieved that mix of quality and quantity. We can't do it for 1st round draft picks, either. They need to be kept as they're your chance for elite talent on rookie coin.

*Cerra is an ideal example. Jarrod Brander is another. Mitch Georgiades also a good target for what we need.

*All mentioned players are simply prototypes of what we need. Nothing more.

Personally I think we'll have to make a substantial rise up the ladder in the next 24 months through shrewd drafting and internal player development before a big name FA will even think about us.
I hope this is the case.

Teams who want to be contenders on the back of having a messiah come to them never rise not even at Easter

Yeah well I agree with that and until that structure changes we might not as well even open threads such as these.

This is just an opinion. But we went hell and leather for Lynch/Coniglio. Both would of been our highest paid player? I’m not sure if we’re as strict with the salary structure as we were when we were winning with that elite core. I do not mind a slightly overpay salary wise if we’re not attaching draft selections to get in quality players. Weather they are interested in Hawthorn compared to other clubs right now is a different story

This is just an opinion. But we went hell and leather for Lynch/Coniglio. Both would of been our highest paid player? I’m not sure if we’re as strict with the salary structure as we were when we were winning with that elite core. I do not mind a slightly overpay salary wise if we’re not attaching draft selections to get in quality players. Weather they are interested in Hawthorn compared to other clubs right now is a different story

Yeah they're all fair points.

Sad thing ATM is we'd have to pay a key player 200-300k over market value to make them interested in joining us.

Kelly interests me. His best was once topline. Merrett 4 me is a little bit too much like JOM so a no for me. No one else on the list I can see being available or suiting us given our current rebuilding time frame.

We'll probably have a lesser known player say an Impey type or a reclamation high draft pick type like Scrimshaw we are already targeting. It was harder 2 do that this year with lists sizes decreasing, hopefully going back to larger numbers post covid we'll have more spots .

I don't think we'll go after an older Hartigan or Frost type for a specific role they should give us the years needed til other younger players take their roles. The only exception might be for ruck depth.
Merrett is nothing like JOM. Maybe pre the knee issues but currently this comparison is so far off it isn't funny.

JOM has been an inside bull for us and Merrett is a quick outside receiver that uses the ball really well.

Need to get our heads out of our backsides. If we show enough to attract a quality free agent, we should jump at the chance to pay Merrett / Kelly / another quality mid $1m p.a. on a long term contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be looking to invest any resources into acquiring a player. If someone like Kelly or Merrett are available, and they cost you nothing but salary cap, you have to consider it. Both have the quality disposal and speed required to be different enough to our current midfielders that similarity doesn't become a problem. The only way that happens is if Essendon or GWS finish bottom 4 and get a guaranteed high compensation pick because otherwise I think they match looking for two first round picks.

I'm also not sure we're an attractive destination at this stage of our rebuild.

If we have to give up our first round picks I'd say no. We're at a very crucial part of our rebuild and we're coming up to a draft stacked with classy, quick midfielders. Rather than established players we should be focusing on getting two or first round picks and really hitting the draft.
Yep, you don't give up the ground we've (and I hate this word) potentially gained with Day, Kosi, Lewis, DGB, Mark Williams, Sanduers, CJ, Revees, etc etc by throwing millions at 1 or 2 players - lets give the "pivot" the club has done another draft or two first, and then re-access.

Bunch of players out of contract this year that I'd like us to have a sniff at.

View attachment 1093928
The top two would be fine, MacKay and Bolton, but how we pay for them without compromising our draft hands for the next few years is impossible. Unfortunately.

Where is Himilberg at with his contracts ?

Unless they are unrestricted I don't see us coughing up the necessary draft capital needed to prise a big fish. With GWS matching and forcing a trade on the Cameron deal, I see alot of clubs following that path. I think targeting some bgrade talent as depth could be a good policy. Especially in the 25-26 age bracket. At the right price players like Billings could play a role and shouldn't cost crazy draft capital

At least we’ll get linked to some players this year as one of the other unfortunate effects of last years hubs was that we did our own thing outside of QLD and their was just zero info coming out of the Barossa about what we were up to, while the AFL journo’s fed on all the locker talk and rumors in the hubs where multiple teams were camped.

If Kelly wants out of GWS, I hope we put our hand up. Even at his current output it would be a win, but his upside is massive, and if he delivers to his capability as a player he’d by a top 5 jet. We’d have to pay enough to not get matched though... 😏

Merrett would be a good fit for us, but I’m not sure he’ll move when push comes to shove, no matter how unhappy he was with the Saad situation and the club culture. Water under the bridge?

Cerra and Bolton interest me too, but you’d be asked to pay a very heavy price, trade wise for either club to part ways with those players.

I’m guessing we back in a few of our lesser types to develop further and maybe bring in a 21-24yr old who’s not lighting it up at their current interstate club and who won’t cost us an arm and leg. Ala Impey.

And then of course we take our first pick to the draft and nail it.

Bunch of players out of contract this year that I'd like us to have a sniff at.

View attachment 1093928

Cerra number 1 due to age and requirements.

Merrett and Kelly equal second, again due to requirements.

Billings would complement our midfield, but I suggest many on here wouldn't rate him enough to get excited about the prospect of him in brown and gold.

Shai Bolton to round out the 5 i'd look at. (McKay would be nice, but zero chance it happens).

Put a line through the rest.

I’m guessing we back in a few of our lesser types to develop further and maybe bring in a 21-24yr old who’s not lighting it up at their current interstate club and who won’t cost us an arm and leg. Ala Impey.

I consider this stuff every season. It's always of interest who from interstate has the talent but isn't getting the full run at it that might suit us.

I remember us being linked to Karl Amon a few off-seasons back. Watching him develop into a smooth, ball winning outside runner certainly makes me daydream of a reality where Phillips, a resurgent Harry Morrison and Karl Amon are our core outside group. Would be nice on the MCG every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back