Opinion Port member revenue

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
PAFC community renewables

Finances of all clubs are precarious, 2020 has shown that and it’s going to be tough to make ends meet when you rely so heavily on sponsors. On field struggles, off field changes in ethics (?gambling sponsors), can all affect the revenue stream. And, if I have learnt one thing from Port’s AFL history, it’s that I don’t want the club to be beholden to any party but it’s own members. To do this we need money and secure revenue streams.

Now there is an elephant in the room. Things are about to get hard for sporting clubs. The evidence all points to climate change having a big impact on the sporting culture in Australia. I don’t want to get in a debate about the science, (trust me I’m happy to school anyone in this area) but rather to talk about what we can do to protect the club and make some cash.

Why?

• To the raise money for the club
  • Alternative income
  • Allow fans to support the club long term
  • Long term support, get out of the year to year financial ups and downs

What?

• club or member owned renewable energy to sell and make money for the club
  • The program would reinvest in the club and produce direct revenue.

How?

• member funded, with some government help
  • Renewable energy program (wind, solar, battery or biomass thermoelectric).

So essentially we would put money in as members to buy, create and run a renewable energy plant. Sounds mental I know but communities are doing this all around the world, Daylesford has a community owned wind farm that’s been producing bank for years now.

We can be leaders in this. It’s just a matter of should we?

Got a spare $10 million?
This is a solar farm (plant) approved for the the Birdwood area (a stone's throw from our place):(

Got a spare $10 million?
This is a solar farm (plant) approved for the the Birdwood area (a stone's throw from our place):(
Why the sad face?
Not having a go at you. I'm curious why you see it as a bad thing

PAFC community renewables

Finances of all clubs are precarious, 2020 has shown that and it’s going to be tough to make ends meet when you rely so heavily on sponsors. On field struggles, off field changes in ethics (?gambling sponsors), can all affect the revenue stream. And, if I have learnt one thing from Port’s AFL history, it’s that I don’t want the club to be beholden to any party but it’s own members. To do this we need money and secure revenue streams.

Now there is an elephant in the room. Things are about to get hard for sporting clubs. The evidence all points to climate change having a big impact on the sporting culture in Australia. I don’t want to get in a debate about the science, (trust me I’m happy to school anyone in this area) but rather to talk about what we can do to protect the club and make some cash.

Why?

• To the raise money for the club
  • Alternative income
  • Allow fans to support the club long term
  • Long term support, get out of the year to year financial ups and downs

What?

• club or member owned renewable energy to sell and make money for the club
  • The program would reinvest in the club and produce direct revenue.

How?

• member funded, with some government help
  • Renewable energy program (wind, solar, battery or biomass thermoelectric).

So essentially we would put money in as members to buy, create and run a renewable energy plant. Sounds mental I know but communities are doing this all around the world, Daylesford has a community owned wind farm that’s been producing bank for years now.

We can be leaders in this. It’s just a matter of should we?

yeah club has minimal appetite. I suggested a PAFC super fund, no different to an industry fund really, but there is no scope to look beyond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why the sad face?
Not having a go at you. I'm curious why you see it as a bad thing
“Seventy eight representations in opposition and two representation (sic) in support of the proposal were received during the Category 3 public notification period.”
Main objections were that the main road to Birdwood 'Torrens Valley Road' is a designated scenic route. During the Bay to Birdwood many people set up along this road and Warren Road (which itself is quite scenic) to view the cars. If you have seen any of the solar farms they have a cyclone fence with varying number of rows of barb wire or razor wire.
There's a road off Torrens Valley Road that has a substation and would have been a better location for the solar farm but it would have needed consent from the land owner.
In the end we didn't have the resources that the council and solar company had to take it to court. Our group eventually went to mediation with the council and the solar company and got some improvements we asked for. Main ones being
  • distance of panels from the main road
  • reduced height of the solar panels
  • a landscape architect to be employed by the company
At the mediation we had 4 people representing us (2 teachers, 1 graphic designer and someone who had just lost his job). The council had a representative from the council and their lawyer and the solar company had a representative from the company and their lawyer.
If a vineyard, cherry farm, olive grove was to happen in the same location there would not have been any objection.
We're not against solar farms. A solar farm (plant) just doesn't seem like the right fit for the Birdwood rural area, especially in the location selected.

Last edited:
Industry Super Funds numbers are even less opaque than Koch's PAFC. Would be a good fit.

obviously have experienced money managers, I know of one who managed Lowey’s cash and other big hitters. He’s retired in South East Asia, he would have been open to helping Port as he loves them. Alas door shut on the concept.
Im
Even happy to do A Power homeloan product with a profit split to Port but again don’t come knocking.

The clique absolutely supports renewable energy but as always, we need the plans to include John Butcher before we start handing out memberships.

well John Butcher is an endless supply of energy for some on this board

obviously have experienced money managers, I know of one who managed Lowey’s cash and other big hitters. He’s retired in South East Asia, he would have been open to helping Port as he loves them. Alas door shut on the concept.
Im
Even happy to do A Power homeloan product with a profit split to Port but again don’t come knocking.
Why is the club so closed minded on these ventures, usually Port are the innovators.

Im
Just make it an index fund.

They perform better anyway

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

yeah club has minimal appetite. I suggested a PAFC super fund, no different to an industry fund really, but there is no scope to look beyond.

Interesting idea. How did you see it working?

Members could have their super/investments in a PAFC fund?
Or PAFC puts money aside into a long term fund? Like a sovereign wealth fund - success of today to fund the club for tomorrow

The premiership fund idea seemed like a good start, just didn’t go anywhere.

I was just hoping we could cover Alberton in solar panels and some rain water tanks to save the club some money in the long term - via a membership fund. The solar plant or wind farm was more pipe dream.

Why do you think there was a lack of enthusiasm for your idea?

Can we start a PAFC bitcoin fund? Or better yet have the club launch its own cryptocurrency. Pearcoin.
There is a POWER cryptocurrency I believe lol.

This pear, from a commercial stock photo site, fits that marketing initiative nicely. It represents a... bit coin. ba-doom-TISH!

pear-bite.PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back