List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2021 Player Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Some ruck options for the mid season.

Max HEATH

Clubs:
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Position: Ruck

Size: 203cm/94kg

S The Victorian looms as one of the better ruck prospects despite being one of the little known prospects ahead of the draft. Heath had some eye-catching moments over the pre-season, with 2020 set to be a big year for the tall. But unfortunately clubs weren’t able to see as much as they had hoped of the competitive beast. He is willing to tackle hard to win the ball back and is able to be a marking target close to goal. His endurance is a work in progress but he is the perfect player who can develop in an elite program.

well why not I say !! Could easily hit 98kg by seasons end, and let's face it this year don't matter.

JACKSON CALLOW

Clubs:
North Launceston/Tasmania/Allies

Position: Key Forward

Size: 194cm/100kg

Bio:. While he has some work to do athletically, there’s plenty to like about his game.

Well that's a big fat no, we do not need any more bloody slow as treacle footballers, the game has left them behind.

That bio of Heath‘s ticks a few boxes.

Couldn’t care less if he’s 18 or 25 years old, plays small forward, lockdown defender, key position forward or back, ruck or through the middle.

Just take the BEST AVAILABLE.

Should be taking at least two players- best available and need

He resembled a statue.

Was the decoy

Corey Preston could be worth monitoring.

Overager who kicked 4 and named 2nd best for Eastern in R1 of the NAB League.

This from his AFLDraftCentral profile-

Corey Preston was expected to be one of the surprise packets for the Eastern Ranges this season with the 182cm, 77kg midfielder/forward one pegged for a big year. He did not manage to play for the Ranges in 2019, but has a number of exciting traits in the forward half such as his athleticism, overhead marking and goal sense that makes him dangerous in front of goal. Having not had that experience at NAB League or higher level yet, Preston is still an unknown quantity at that level, with his endurance as another area of improvement coming into the elite junior program. Preston is a midfielder at local level, but would have been playing as a small forward throughout the NAB League, which not only matches his strengths, but also allows him to get stints through the midfield without having full-time minutes in there due to his endurance. Along with his vertical leap, Preston knows how to move around in little space and uses the ball well by hand or foot, with a keen eye for goals. He positions himself well in the marking contest, but most importantly uses his strong hands which for his size are remarkable. Not afraid to take on more experienced and bigger opponents, Preston has those traits that make him hard to mark inside 50 with greater strength overhead than a lot of his smaller opponents, and then better speed than the hulking defenders. He can also use the ball well off his left foot with a number of times being able to have that keen goal sense to be on his right side but still use the outside of the left well. He will likely need more time to develop through the state league programs if he is to progress through to the top level, but the combination of his local football and athleticism make him an exciting prospect.

Last edited:
You guys need a mature body key forward short term to help larkey out, you can draft a key forward in the end of year draft, but they need time to develop, you need someone who can compete, mark, bring the ball to ground and won't be pushed around

Do you offer Harry Taylor a play this year and ongoing coaching position to play back and throw Walker fwd or get Jono marsh or Wylie buzza to stop the bleeding a little
Corey Preston could be worth monitoring.

Overager who kicked 4 and named 2nd best for Eastern in R1 of the NAB League.

This from his AFLDraftCentral profile-

Corey Preston was expected to be one of the surprise packets for the Eastern Ranges this season with the 182cm, 77kg midfielder/forward one pegged for a big year. He did not manage to play for the Ranges in 2019, but has a number of exciting traits in the forward half such as his athleticism, overhead marking and goal sense that makes him dangerous in front of goal. Having not had that experience at NAB League or higher level yet, Preston is still an unknown quantity at that level, with his endurance as another area of improvement coming into the elite junior program. Preston is a midfielder at local level, but would have been playing as a small forward throughout the NAB League, which not only matches his strengths, but also allows him to get stints through the midfield without having full-time minutes in there due to his endurance. Along with his vertical leap, Preston knows how to move around in little space and uses the ball well by hand or foot, with a keen eye for goals. He positions himself well in the marking contest, but most importantly uses his strong hands which for his size are remarkable. Not afraid to take on more experienced and bigger opponents, Preston has those traits that make him hard to mark inside 50 with greater strength overhead than a lot of his smaller opponents, and then better speed than the hulking defenders. He can also use the ball well off his left foot with a number of times being able to have that keen goal sense to be on his right side but still use the outside of the left well. He will likely need more time to develop through the state league programs if he is to progress through to the top level, but the combination of his local football and athleticism make him an exciting prospect.

Should we also target Josh schache and Riccardi in the trade period?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Must create completion for spots in the side even if its at the cost of some of our consistently injured guys.
I love comben, perez etc as much as the next guy but if our current gameplan is to wait until they're fit and not drafting in a new player of the similar type then we'll end up in the same predicament as we are in now with no tall forward targets and limited playable defenders.
Most teams carry multiple talls and have those at the ready but we just contract our injured guys and hold onto them praying for success.
Football is a brutal sport but the careers of young kids can't always outweigh the needs of a team and its chance at a premiership.
At least 1 big bodied tall forward (mature or not ) that can play right away, 1 mobile ruckman who will compete with campbell /xerri for top job and a mobile defender (HB/KPD) with comben listed on LTI list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think with the Board Chair having written to members saying we're sticking to our plan, the prospect of us taking some mature-age player from the state leagues to steady the ship (ruck, KPP, whatever) is very, very low. We'll be taking the best available, with the highest ceiling.

No short cuts.

Someone better break the news to Tony Lockett (191cm) and Carey (192cm) that they aren't tall enough to be good forwards.

It is more about smarts and technique, it is why McDonald who is only 196cm is rated highly. Callow is only 2cm shorter and he is fairly strong overhead.
100% this. With the rule change and faster entries, team defence and third man up have been somewhat negated. There are now more one on one opportunities. Contested marking has become the most valuable commodity for a forward again.

I think with the Board Chair having written to members saying we're sticking to our plan, the prospect of us taking some mature-age player from the state leagues to steady the ship (ruck, KPP, whatever) is very, very low. We'll be taking the best available, with the highest ceiling.

No short cuts.

Weird that this is so hard for posters to get their head around.

Need you interstater's to keep us up to date with key forwards and key backs setting the SANFL & WAFL alight.
Apart from Zurhaar (WA) and Dumont (SA), our interstate scouting has been poor, borderline abysmal. Not sure what the Rawlings-Luff regime has done in that space, but the only way is up

I honestly don’t think we will. If we do it will be a project KPP that won’t be expected to play for the next 12 months IMO.
Yep - I don't think you have to be the list manager from central casting to work out how to approach this year's mid season draft. I'd be looking a now over age kid who missed the draft, and lost his top age year to COVID - that means close attention to Victorians. Thereafter, I don't think position is the key variable - you're looking for dramatic improvement, that might have come last year had it been on show

Yep - I don't think you have to be the list manager from central casting to work out how to approach this year's mid season draft. I'd be looking a now over age kid who missed the draft, and lost his top age year to COVID - that means close attention to Victorians. Thereafter, I don't think position is the key variable - you're looking for dramatic improvement, that might have come last year had it been on show

To put things in perspective, Joyce/Scott would be going for a mature aged KPF/HBF from WAFL/VFL/SANFL.

Luff/Rawlings/Clayton will be after the best u19 year old Victorian that slipped through the cracks of no u18 footy in 2020.

One is a short term, bandaid approach. One is a long term, building for the future approach.

To put things in perspective, Joyce/Scott would be going for a mature aged KPF/HBF from WAFL/VFL/SANFL.

Luff/Rawlings/Clayton will be after the best u19 year old Victorian that slipped through the cracks of no u18 footy in 2020.

One is a short term, bandaid approach. One is a long term, building for the future approach.
“Slipped through the cracks” not many would have to be fair. Not KP players anyway

“Slipped through the cracks” not many would have to be fair. Not KP players anyway

I wasn’t referring to just KP players, I’m referring to best available.

After no u18 footy for victorians in 2020, there is a high likelihood that someone that didn’t get drafted, should have. Scotty Clayton is big on that theory.

there's always kids who come from the clouds in their top age year, but who wouldn't have had that chance because of the lockdown. Really good list management regimes will find them - our pre-Rawlings track record (Hosie over Riccardi) shows how not to do it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back