Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read this thread back to front over the years and I still don't know whether it's a massive piss take, or you all really want him gone.

Just a piss take, we have secretly loved pissing away all our chances the last 6 years.

Even more fun was destroying a club tradition and wasting a year playing without a captain :)

Its like our motto says: We exist to not even play in grand finals.

I've never said we are garbage and will lose ever game.. i just sense when we start drinking our own bathwater. The moment kane and Chad were on SEN comparing the list to 2004 talking about connection and all this sh*t after beating garbage the past fortnight was the moment I knew we'd lose this week. Ontop of Ken making claim that we are better than last year. Just keep quiet, they've earnt nothing yet.

There is some validity here - we had not beaten anybody yet.

Just seems to me you "know" a bunch of games we are going to lose and many of those we win. If you really want credit for it you should keep a record of the games you "know" the result of and then show it at the end of the season with a 100% accuracy... Id bet its actually less than 50%. In fact if you can be so sure why not just be a professional bettor - you could make millions.

Well this is depressing

Wingard 28 is the one that gets me. He legit looked like he could have become the best player in the comp and at one stage was probably close to being in the top 10. Now he's coming towards the end and has never approached anything like the years he had in 2013 and 2015

The frustrating thing is that there's still a gap the size of the Grand Canyon between our best and worst. Two Easters ago we went to Perth and played incredible footy - we looked like we could have beaten anybody that night. Then we dish up that on Saturday night - it's bizarre. I'm heading to Adelaide Oval on Friday night with a fair degree of trepidation: who knows which Port team will turn up?

The frustrating thing is that there's still a gap the size of the Grand Canyon between our best and worst. Two Easters ago we went to Perth and played incredible footy - we looked like we could have beaten anybody that night. Then we dish up that on Saturday night - it's bizarre. I'm heading to Adelaide Oval on Friday night with a fair degree of trepidation: who knows which Port team will turn up?
To me the West Coast game reeked of a poor plan going in along with not being switched on, more preparation related which has been a constant failing of Hinkley.
Everyone loses a game here and there but it should never look that completely lacklustre.

Wingard 28 is the one that gets me. He legit looked like he could have become the best player in the comp and at one stage was probably close to being in the top 10. Now he's coming towards the end and has never approached anything like the years he had in 2013 and 2015

And this is what gives me pause when people talk up Butters and Rozee as being the best players in the competition one day. Sure they could be, but there's never any guarantees.

To me the West Coast game reeked of a poor plan going in along with not being switched on, more preparation related which has been a constant failing of Hinkley.
Everyone loses a game here and there but it should never look that completely lacklustre.
Yeah even the Essendon team of 2000 lost a game - it's inevitable. But it's how you lose, and scoring 2 goals to half time just isn't acceptable.

Ken has been here too long. Agreed.
The pool is stagnant.
But what do you do when someone like Byrne Jones handballs straight to the opposition. When Burton, one of our best kicks, dribbles the ball off boot 5m along the ground.
This is a confidence team. When Todd Marshall drops a chest mark in the first minute of a game, which could easily have been converted, the implications are big.

No doubt it is a very fragile confidence team if the situation is that delicate. But that is what we are working with. Dont make those early mistakes if you are that fragile.
Those first few minutes are important for such a team. How often have all of us noted that we can tell in the first few minutes of a game whether we will win or lose?

And this is what gives me pause when people talk up Butters and Rozee as being the best players in the competition one day. Sure they could be, but there's never any guarantees.

At one stage Wingard and Wines were consensus #1 picks in draft do-overs and held up as the gold standard for “you can’t complain too much about the Suns and Giants picking the eyes out of the talent pool, you just have to nail your own picks like Port did...”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 seasons later I am still bitter about the Wingard situation. I think it perfectly encapsulates the Hinkley reign of doom.

Weren't we assured that Wingard was the unprofessional problem child from which all of our ills flowed and getting rid of him would usher in a new era of premiership football?

Since then we've had a captain miss games and effectively ruin his season by going wakeboarding on the eve of the season, multiple players getting themselves suspended for hosting a party blatantly breaching covid protocols, a player currently on leave after a bender.

And we still haven't played in a grand final.

Yeah even the Essendon team of 2000 lost a game - it's inevitable. But it's how you lose, and scoring 2 goals to half time just isn't acceptable.

Scoring 2 goals to half time in a season that is seeing scores of 150 is particularly bad.

Ken has been here too long. Agreed.
The pool is stagnant.
But what do you do when someone like Byrne Jones handballs straight to the opposition. When Burton, one of our best kicks, dribbles the ball off boot 5m along the ground.
This is a confidence team. When Todd Marshall drops a chest mark in the first minute of a game, which could easily have been converted, the implications are big.

No doubt it is a very fragile confidence team if the situation is that delicate. But that is what we are working with. Dont make those early mistakes if you are that fragile.
Those first few minutes are important for such a team. How often have all of us noted that we can tell in the first few minutes of a game whether we will win or lose?
Fragile is correct but it's up to the coaches to build that mental strength as a team. I recall Ken talking years ago about creating team of strong character, that could almost coach itself like his precious Geelong.
We've had and have the talent to win a flag but i'm not sure we have the coaches.

Last edited:
Weren't we assured that Wingard was the unprofessional problem child from which all of our ills flowed and getting rid of him would usher in a new era of premiership football?

Since then we've had a captain miss games and effectively ruin his season by going wakeboarding on the eve of the season, multiple players getting themselves suspended for hosting a party blatantly breaching covid protocols, a player currently on leave after a bender.

And we still haven't played in a grand final.
Absolutely, almost like they scapegoated him.

You can’t deny looking that we nailed that draft and Rozee, Butters and Duursma have come on so much better than anyone would have thought.

At the time I couldn’t shake the feeling that this would be Hinkleys excuse for years of inconsistency, “we have a young developing side” but they have been soo good that excuse would never fly.

I thought these kind of games were behind us. We’re not in the middle of a dynasty that we can comfortably brush off these performances as ‘one of those games’. Being consistent in performance and professionalism breeds confidence that you can tap into at the pointy end of the season. Performances like Sat night does none of that.

Look I’m not defending everything PAFC says but to be honest so ******* what if it’s hard ?

Guess what it’s hard for west coast, it’s hard for Richmond too since when did they give a sh*t about that or trot it out as some sort of defence for a sh*t performance?

I hate it when Ken says this as though somehow it’s only hard for Port and everyone else gets their wishes granted by their fairy godmother instead
That is what I was saying. The competition as a whole. Look I am. It sticking up for Hinckley per se. I just cannot stand idiot posters who seem to be very active when we lose yet are nowhere to be seen when we win. Agenda or what.

Hinkley has always controlled the narrative in press conferences of why we lost or where the team's at.

He can spin it anyway he wants, but describing us as a good team is not all that correct with performances like that. Successful teams aren't PF losers once in every 5 years, teams like these will never be remembered or revered a decade on.

All we are is a team full of potential, it will mean nothing if we can't capitalise on that. These years won't really be remembered fondly by me and other supporters if there's an empty trophy cabinet at the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back