Rules The new man on the mark rule is utterly ridiculous.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Very occasionally a team can do it and usually Richmond would be able to quickly stop a side after 1 or 2 quick kicks by working the mark and stop the flow of the ball. That looks much harder to stop this season
In R2 2019 Collingwood took 159 uncontested marks against us. We have always been vulnerable once a team takes clean possession, we gave Sydney far too much of it yesterday via poor turnovers and tackling.

Normally they mention the TV ratings and how well they're going. I wonder why they haven't been mentioned recently.
Crowds are up substantially on last year. New rule makes it more entertaining so more turning up.

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Right now it is adapt or be destroyed with the new rules

And my club is in the be destroyed list
I think some sides are trying to apply their zone defense in the same way as previous seasons. This just doesnt seem possible now the ball is moving so quickly and there are less rotations for players to rest. Saints players were trying to fill space to stop our attack but we were just waltzing through the zone

I also think with the new rules they are really benefitting teams that have a lot of good kickers. Hawthorn of 2013 to 2015 would have loved these rules.
It rewards teams with good skills
If you can be precise you can cut across the ground

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
I also think with the new rules they are really benefitting teams that have a lot of good kickers. Hawthorn of 2013 to 2015 would have loved these rules.

Yep very true. It’s why imo neutral fans will watch more games long term. I’d just about had enough of the glorified union that’s been dished up in recent years.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Offensively yes. We did work the mark as much as anyone to slow the game down when we didn't have the ball though

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Many neutrals on these boards said the Hawks were boring to watch.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Overall the new rule gets a solid tick from me but maybe I am just relieved because we do not have those dreadful 2020 style slogs at the moment.
Forwards kicking bags, poor sides coping hidings and 100 plus scores being the norm is fine by me.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don’t know whether it is this new rule or not, but I really like watching the game this season. It goes against how my team plays, but the higher scores makes a huge difference in the quality overall. I found myself watching a lot of neutral games from the beginning to the end this season because of it.

Hopefully this keeps going and my club joins in on the fun as well

Agree on all of this. Especially the last sentence.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

And teams like the Eagles and others who adopted that style and have drafted, traded and continued to develop that style.

Mature good kicking and marking teams will benefit the most.

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
Making footy great again, by the numbers
(2021 stats are before Round 3)
  • Stoppages (ball-ups and boundary throw-ins) per match are the lowest on average since 2007 (50.2 stoppages per game so far in 2021 compared with 70.2 in 2015)
  • The 282 marks taken in the West Coast v Gold Coast match in Round 1 was the 8th-highest game tally on record and the most since 2008
  • Teams are kicking longer (average of 59 long kicks per game is the second-highest since 2005)
  • Average of 51.9 tackles per game is the lowest since 2006.

Back