• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

I think there is still alot of water to go under the bridge this season. it's still possible we finish in the bottom 4 or a game outside the 8 in my eyes. We should defiantly take our first pick with a eye on recruiting 21 -26 y.o if it's just cap space and not involving any picks.
We look to be in strong position money wise to do these things if required.

I found the below quote from march 27 in the age newspaper is this correct?
Hawthorn are well placed with their salary cap, having no player contracted beyond 2023 - a stark contrast to most clubs who’ve struck long-term deals.

Last edited:
I consider this stuff every season. It's always of interest who from interstate has the talent but isn't getting the full run at it that might suit us.

I remember us being linked to Karl Amon a few off-seasons back. Watching him develop into a smooth, ball winning outside runner certainly makes me daydream of a reality where Phillips, a resurgent Harry Morrison and Karl Amon are our core outside group. Would be nice on the MCG every week.
Yeah, Amon is the one that got away for me too. We just didn’t prioritize him from all reports, and he stayed.

Kelly isn’t a free agent though is he? I don’t think we can be trading what is required to bring in a player in their mid 20s, as perfect as he would be for us. Overcommitting in trade capital has hurt us.

Go really hard at a free agent (Merrett, who also suits us perfectly as a point of difference to our midfield mix) and otherwise load up at the draft. Pay the price to avoid a match. The only thing we should contemplate moving early picks for would be if some proven U22 gun suddenly became gettable (a Ben King type for example). Otherwise hit the draft with as many picks as possible. Have to think there’s some good value having a lot of picks this year given recruiters would probably have missed some good ones last year

I reckon merrett is a certainty to leave. It will be this year too.

He may not be bont or cripps but that is irrelevant, they aren’t leaving (despite cripps rumours). But he is quality and uses it better than our mids so should be a priority.

we only get merrett if we pay big $$ and look like a finals contender. Free agents won’t choose us for less money and won’t come if we look miles off the mark.

Kelly would be even better but probably more competitive market for his services and there is the AFL / Gws factor.

I would be all in on merrett. Much more gettable but we need to accept that we need to pay up.

We wont be landing anyone of note that's not a free agent. If anything we would be looking to potentially give up a player of note to improve our draft order.

Be interesting what decision we would make if Merrett wanted to come to us on a huge contract and the Bombers finished below us. Wouldn't want to give them an extra pick ahead of us in the top 5 if that's how it pans out and we have our eye on a particular franchise player at the top end of the draft.

I don't mind Merrett, but we need taller longer kicking mids with pace to complement what we already have.

Is Bramble a poor mans Merrett, at this early stage of his traning ? (I ask because I just don't watch the drug scum cheats and even when we played them I had no idea which one was merret) I liked Drapper though, but we've got Revees coming through.

This draft is stacked with mids, so I've read since I no longer watch this stuff, so why buy one? Yeah we need class through this area, but 18yr old mids can usually play very quickly compared to KPP - so a classy kid from the draft (think Day) is better then a import costing millions, imo.

We still need a top notch CHB/FB, in the right age bracket; any of these coming out of contract from the peeps who keep an eye on this stuff?

I'd be looking for value at a club like Gold Coast (again).

They have plenty of brilliant young midfielders & they're more likely than not going into this season's draft with another strong draft hand - in a draft stacked with good midfielders.

Without getting all hypothetical, I'd be looking at getting hold of their 1st Pick or looking at guys like Jeremy Sharp or even Alex Davies (Suns Academy player) - guys that aren't yet regulars & sit outside the core group - be great if they didn't get much of a look-in again this season & GCS finished Bottom 6.

Last edited:
I'd be looking for value at a club like Gold Coast (again).

They have plenty of brilliant young midfielders & they're more likely than not, going into this season's draft with another strong draft hand - in a draft stacked with good midfielders.

Without getting all hypothetical, I'd be looking at getting hold of their 1st Pick or looking at guys like Jeremy Sharp or even Alex Davies (Suns Academy player) - guys that aren't yet regulars & sit outside the core group - be great if they didn't get much of a look-in again this season & GCS finished Bottom 6.
Agree.

I was alluding to this in another thread when I said GC are getting a good list together again. With the way they keep coping injuries they aren't going to finish at the top end of the table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Bramble a poor mans Merrett, at this early stage of his traning ? (I ask because I just don't watch the drug scum cheats and even when we played them I had no idea which one was merret) I liked Drapper though, but we've got Revees coming through.

This draft is stacked with mids, so I've read since I no longer watch this stuff, so why buy one? Yeah we need class through this area, but 18yr old mids can usually play very quickly compared to KPP - so a classy kid from the draft (think Day) is better then a import costing millions, imo.

We still need a top notch CHB/FB, in the right age bracket; any of these coming out of contract from the peeps who keep an eye on this stuff?

Merrett is a star. Similar size to Lachie Neale, almost accumulates the ball the same, but is generally a better user by foot. You could argue that he isn't as damaging as other gun mids, but our midfield currently doesn't have a smooth moving elite ball user. We could absolutely use him.

Also you should get used to watching all sides play. It makes it easier to have an informed opinion around trade time about player value etc.
You also don't get left as frustrated when an opposing player dominates us and you've never heard of them. That used to kill me as a kid. When a player would be best on ground against us but I had no idea who they were. If you are already aware that the player is a gun then you already have a begrudging respect for them at least.

Merrett is a star. Similar size to Lachie Neale, almost accumulates the ball the same, but is generally a better user by foot. You could argue that he isn't as damaging as other gun mids, but our midfield currently doesn't have a smooth moving elite ball user. We could absolutely use him.

Also you should get used to watching all sides play. It makes it easier to have an informed opinion around trade time about player value etc.
You also don't get left as frustrated when an opposing player dominates us and you've never heard of them. That used to kill me as a kid. When a player would be best on ground against us but I had no idea who they were. If you are already aware that the player is a gun then you already have a begrudging respect for them at least.
Cheers mate.

I used to watch everything, esp the under 18s, vfl, so already knew who had what - but lost interest with everything going to gws and gcs and just the way the game was going/run - now I just don't have the time running a business when it's getting interesting again.

Thanks for the comparison.

Could also mean the ones we didnt get
I understand that - which is what I'm asking. We didn't get em so it doesn't matter, but would be interesting to know who Wright thought was the bees knees but the poster says they were of dubious value.

I for one was over Wrights list management - we had needed pace 3 years before someone finally woke up - the same with drafting a key back instead of forwards to play back.

He done alright but we're left some holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back