2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If Partington or Bolton where up to it they would be drafted by now. Similar vein to Wil Brodie. To good for VFL but not good enough for AFL.
Just think we have not maximised the 49 players , there would be another Gibbons out there at least they have a 50 percent chance of making it, at the moment we are taking guys with a 5 percent chance though I have a feeling this is being dictated by somewhere else

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just think we have not maximised the 49 players , there would be another Gibbons out there at least they have a 50 percent chance of making it, at the moment we are taking guys with a 5 percent chance though I have a feeling this is being dictated by somewhere else
Watching the Sydney Swans today they had a late pick and a category b academy pick both with strong footy backgrounds in Warner and Wicks. However the suns always want to go creative and go for the wildcards ie the Farrars and Murtaghs, that's why we never have any depths. Unfortunately there is an ego thing amongst recruiters to create a diamond from a rock, occasionally it works is Will Powell but most of time it's a bust

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
The thing is we go too long term, who knows if Hollands will come back the same player. A player ready to go may have got us over the line yesterday. A couple of the Academy kids we overlooked last year would have not made the same errors as MacPherson yesterday. Mutagh , Farrar , Conroy,Fyfe. Ace , Nicholls , Towey and Conroy are all speculative picks who know one can safely will make it at AFL level so that brings our list down to 41 guys we can comfortably know won't look out of place on an AFL field. This strategy hasnt worked for ten years , better to load up with state league guns like Partington , Bolton and even McBean to give some depth
I disagree Holland is good pick .

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I disagree Holland is good pick .
If we were a winning team yes but I think that we needed a player who could come in and impact the game like a Guilden. Also instead of Townsend we should have taken Waterman, With the academy kids we should have taken Pescud who kicked over three a game last year if not him Gore who is apparently coming 2nd in the whole Safl for tackles. If we were gamblers we would be broke we go for high risk option everytime where a successful team like the Swans play moneyball ie Papley , Wicks etc

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
If we were a winning team yes but I think that we needed a player who could come in and impact the game like a Guilden. Also instead of Townsend we should have taken Waterman, With the academy kids we should have taken Pescud who kicked over three a game last year if not him Gore who is apparently coming 2nd in the whole Safl for tackles. If we were gamblers we would be broke we go for high risk option everytime where a successful team like the Swans play moneyball ie Papley , Wicks etc
Easy to say that now? Gulden was passed by every team that had a selection.

Gulden also was in their academy and didn't really need to adjust to Sydney and their culture. I feel he can take out the Rising Star this year but Hollands was rated #1 in 2019-20 for a reason, give it time. I'm sure Saints fans weren't worried when Ben was playing and Max sat out the whole year.

Townsend is a proven AFL premiership player who is one of the hardest tacklers while Waterman did dominated WAFL is still unproven and looked good in a demolition job.

Academy kids i'm not going to go there besides Davies and of course Bowes & Weller none have come close to what we wanted.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
When you have a big list, a good strategy is to be speculative.

For a team at our stage of the list build, I think it is better to take a small chance on a young player becoming a clear best 22 player in a finals team over a good chance of getting a bog standard top 30 player on a middle rung team.

I don't know enough about the local juniors to know if they have picked the right ones, but looking for diamonds away from the first rounds is what we should be doing. See Powell and Ballard as examples.

Need players that can play a role in a top 4 team. We have a few in the current 22 that don't fit that bill, imo, so there are spots to take.

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Easy to say that now? Gulden was passed by every team that had a selection.

Gulden also was in their academy and didn't really need to adjust to Sydney and their culture. I feel he can take out the Rising Star this year but Hollands was rated #1 in 2019-20 for a reason, give it time. I'm sure Saints fans weren't worried when Ben was playing and Max sat out the whole year.

Townsend is a proven AFL premiership player who is one of the hardest tacklers while Waterman did dominated WAFL is still unproven and looked good in a demolition job.

Academy kids i'm not going to go there besides Davies and of course Bowes & Weller none have come close to what we wanted.
My point is we need to play the odds which we don't do, if I was a recruiter I would have gone Hollands could be a great player but he has an ACL and we really need a tall and an injection of immediate talent so go for Cox instead. Townsend's best was three years ago and struggled to get a game in a bottom team so maybe look at a 24 year old who has dominated a strong league like the WAFL or SAFL , when it comes to academy kids I would look at the Budarick factor , do they have a family background and love of the game , have they done well at Allie level , will they look out of place on a AFl field. At the moment our recruiters seem to look at , does he do a great beep test, can he do a mean high jump , will his background allow us to get a good article in the bulletin. All of things won't win you games. The other thing is they better start playing Flanders and Sharpe pretty soon or we may have another Scrimshaw on our hands

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
My point is we need to play the odds which we don't do, if I was a recruiter I would have gone Hollands could be a great player but he has an ACL and we really need a tall and an injection of immediate talent so go for Cox instead. Townsend's best was three years ago and struggled to get a game in a bottom team so maybe look at a 24 year old who has dominated a strong league like the WAFL or SAFL , when it comes to academy kids I would look at the Budarick factor , do they have a family background and love of the game , have they done well at Allie level , will they look out of place on a AFl field. At the moment our recruiters seem to look at , does he do a great beep test, can he do a mean high jump , will his background allow us to get a good article in the bulletin. All of things won't win you games. The other thing is they better start playing Flanders and Sharpe pretty soon or we may have another Scrimshaw on our hands
Cox is a 203cm winger who is rail thin and didn't play last year to show any improvement. Taking him would of been a horrible mistake as while he played okay yesterday he hasn't shown a whole lot yet and will never be a KPP. The only other KPP around that mark was Zach Reid and he is years off AFL level. Hollands was the correct choice.

Last edited:

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
when it comes to academy kids.... his background allow us to get a good article in the bulletin
Sorry, but that is a ridiculous argument, IMHO. Are you actually suggesting that Nicholls and Fyfe were drafted because they will make a great story for GCBulletin? And Pescud was not drafted because he is a no story player? You can't be serious.

Last edited:

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My thing always is... If these academy kids were good enough, other clubs would have picked them up.
That's not necessarily true. Look at Sam Wicks - drafted out of the local Sydney AFL competition with category B pre-rookie draft access two years ago (after being overlooked by every club in the national draft) and ends up dominating against the defending premiers with 3 goals and 21 disposals at the MCG yesterday. Just because you're not a highly rated junior in your 18th year, doesn't mean you can't make it in the AFL. It comes down to the club's internal development systems and obviously the Swans do this extremely well.

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That's not necessarily true. Look at Sam Wicks - drafted out of the local Sydney AFL competition with category B pre-rookie draft access two years ago (after being overlooked by every club in the national draft) and ends up dominating against the defending premiers with 3 goals and 21 disposals at the MCG yesterday. Just because you're not a highly rated junior in your 18th year, doesn't mean you can't make it in the AFL. It comes down to the club's internal development systems and obviously the Swans do this extremely well.
Agree even if you look at Luke Parks now with Carlton , think we should send some of our 19 year Olds to play in the WAFL or SAFL and see who has the best chance of making it. I don't think we have got the most out of our gold coast zone ,they seem to get to high QAFL standard and nothing more

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Agree even if you look at Luke Parks now with Carlton , think we should send some of our 19 year Olds to play in the WAFL or SAFL and see who has the best chance of making it. I don't think we have got the most out of our gold coast zone ,they seem to get to high QAFL standard and nothing more
With our reserves playing in the VFL now we should see the development get better against actual AFL listed players not the crap in the NEAFL

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Cox is a 203cm winger who is rail thin and didn't play last year to show any improvement. Taking him would of been a horrible mistake as while he played okay yesterday he hasn't shown a whole lot yet and will never be a KPP. The only other KPP around that mark was Zach Reid and he is years off AFL level. Hollands was the correct choice.
Nik Cox is a unicorn and we already got one in Jack Lukosius so he's not needed.

Nik Cox is basically a taller Charlie Ballard and it's taken 4 years for Charlie to put enough weight on to play like he does now. Cox would be a few years off again.

End of the year we just need a good moneyball tall like Finlayson, Himmelberg, Mihocek, M. Lewis, S. Reid. Someone who can take a grab and hopefully not over 500k

Do we have a James Podsiadly lurking round?

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Robbie Tarrant, Astbury, Daniel Talia, Cale Hooker all free agents. If Thompson situation doesnt improve then we need a ready made key defender to support Collins and free up Bowes.

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With our reserves playing in the VFL now we should see the development get better against actual AFL listed players not the crap in the NEAFL
Only problem is that with 22 teams the VFL talent pool is quite diluted, Also with so many injuries there would be a hell of a lot of top ups. They still will be playing plumbers from Aspley

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Ready made vs Past it .
Normally GCS will pick retire fund players.
Big difference between chasing ageing players to fill immediate gaps in a team looking at finals vs rebuilding from scratch. Hawthorn did it, Geelong do it, Port are doing it now.
Eagles talls kicked 8 and Crows only tall booted 6.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Only problem is that with 22 teams the VFL talent pool is quite diluted, Also with so many injuries there would be a hell of a lot of top ups. They still will be playing plumbers from Aspley
Aren't the top ups from the QLD & NSW AFL reserves teams just academy kids? I thought only Victorian teams were signing VFL top ups. Also, the Swans and Lions bat pretty deep these days so their reserves teams will be pretty strong and that should ease fears of facing lower quality opposition. Don't forget, the Lions reserves claimed 4 NEAFL Premierships and the Swans reserves made 5 NEAFL Grand Finals. The only concern from an AFL reserves perspective may be the Giants but I'm sure their reserves team will compete at a decent level anyway.

We only play Aspley and Southport 4 times this year. We play AFL reserves teams 10 times this year with 6 of those games being against Victorian AFL reserves teams. Then we also have 2 further games against non-AFL Victorian teams Williamstown (2019 VFL Grand Finalists) & Frankston. The teams we play twice this year are Brisbane, Footscray, Aspley and Southport. With 10/16 (62.5%) reserves games for us this year being against other AFL reserves teams (9 unique opponents as well) and 2/16 (12.5%) against non-AFL Victorian teams, that means only 4/16 (25%) will be against "plumbers from Aspley/Southport".

This is a far better outcome for our club in regards to the development of our draftees/academy players when you consider we could only play the same 3 AFL reserves teams over and over in the NEAFL as well as extra games (6/18, 37.5%) against local clubs in QLD, NSW, ACT and NT full of "plumbers". You need a variety of different opponents who can compete at the highest level to have the opportunity to grow/learn properly and we're going to get that this year when we face 9 separate AFL reserves teams. Playing the Lions, Swans and Giants reserves teams 12 times in an 18 game season is complete overkill and could actually be considered detrimental in terms of development.

I'd also much rather be facing teams like Williamstown and Frankston when the alternative is Canberra, Redland or Sydney University. This minimises the amount of "plumbers" our reserves will face and is just generally a much better outcome for our club. I'm fairly confident we'll see an increase in kids from our academy being drafted as a direct result of this move and we should be able to develop our draftees properly now. Big win for our club.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Big difference between chasing ageing players to fill immediate gaps in a team looking at finals vs rebuilding from scratch. Hawthorn did it, Geelong do it, Port are doing it now.
Eagles talls kicked 8 and Crows only tall booted 6.
All this club won premierships , GCS can't even win the old reserve competition NEAFL or make it to Top 8 in AFL. I said it many times , Craig Cameron and recruiters of GCS just lazy , trade all second round out and pick top 15 players and GCS academy in the draft and Townsend type of players .

GCS will be at the bottom of the ladder in VFL too.. Craig Cameron is worse than Clayton .

Last edited:

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Aren't the top ups from the QLD & NSW AFL reserves teams just academy kids? I thought only Victorian teams were signing VFL top ups. Also, the Swans and Lions bat pretty deep these days so their reserves teams will be pretty strong and that should ease fears of facing lower quality opposition. Don't forget, the Lions reserves claimed 4 NEAFL Premierships and the Swans reserves made 5 NEAFL Grand Finals. The only concern from an AFL reserves perspective may be the Giants but I'm sure their reserves team will compete at a decent level anyway.

We only play Aspley and Southport 4 times this year. We play AFL reserves teams 10 times this year with 6 of those games being against Victorian AFL reserves teams. Then we also have 2 further games against non-AFL Victorian teams Williamstown (2019 VFL Grand Finalists) & Frankston. The teams we play twice this year are Brisbane, Footscray, Aspley and Southport. With 10/16 (62.5%) reserves games for us this year being against other AFL reserves teams (9 unique opponents as well) and 2/16 (12.5%) against non-AFL Victorian teams, that means only 4/16 (25%) will be against "plumbers from Aspley/Southport".

This is a far better outcome for our club in regards to the development of our draftees/academy players when you consider we could only play the same 3 AFL reserves teams over and over in the NEAFL as well as extra games (6/18, 37.5%) against local clubs in QLD, NSW, ACT and NT full of "plumbers". You need a variety of different opponents who can compete at the highest level to have the opportunity to grow/learn properly and we're going to get that this year when we face 9 separate AFL reserves teams. Playing the Lions, Swans and Giants reserves teams 12 times in an 18 game season is complete overkill and could actually be considered detrimental in terms of development.

I'd also much rather be facing teams like Williamstown and Frankston when the alternative is Canberra, Redland or Sydney University. This minimises the amount of "plumbers" our reserves will face and is just generally a much better outcome for our club. I'm fairly confident we'll see an increase in kids from our academy being drafted as a direct result of this move and we should be able to develop our draftees properly now. Big win for our club.
Think the only solution is the AFL reserves some of our kids are going to be targeted by 25 year old state league players resentful of them. A mates son played for Southport a couple of years ago and they were instructed to rough up the Academy players. One of the academy players ended up with a broken hand as the fullback continued to punch it while alongside him , poor kid didn't end up getting a possession.
With 22 teams the more chance they will face these time of characters. The VFL is a very hard arse comp

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
All this club won premierships , GCS can't even win the old reserve competition NEAFL or make it to Top 8 in AFL. I said it many times , Craig Cameron and recruiters of GCS just lazy , trade all second round out and pick top 15 players and GCS academy in the draft and Townsend type of players .

GCS will be at the bottom of the ladder in VFL too.. Craig Cameron is worse than Clayton .
Mature agers picked up by Cameron. Burgess, Collins, Corbett, Greenwood, Ellis, Markov, Atkins.
Rookies: Buderick, Graham, Davies, Jeffrey & others.
Draft: King, Luko, Sharp, McLennan, Rankine, Flanders, Holland, Farrar.

You now give me the Clayton success story to support your comment

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Mature agers picked up by Cameron. Burgess, Collins, Corbett, Greenwood, Ellis, Markov, Atkins.
Rookies: Buderick, Graham, Davies, Jeffrey & others.
Draft: King, Luko, Sharp, McLennan, Rankine, Flanders, Holland, Farrar.

You now give me the Clayton success story to support your comment
Seriously if you got top 10 pick you don't pick king luko, Rankine ,Holland , what a joke .Even you can do better than that.
* Might as well follow big footy phantom draft.
McLennan vs Rowbottom.
Alex Davies , Jefferey all in phantom draft top 20 how hard is it to pre select them .

Collins , Corbett , Burgess
All come free from AFL . Do you think recruiters will pick them using second Rd pick .Clayton at least pick up Holman and Saad using rookie pick .

Last edited:

ajhgcs

Team Captain
May 15, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Seriously if you got top 10 pick you don't pick king luko
What are you talking about, who should we have taken then? We lost 2 key position players in that trade period, we needed key position players and we got 2 of the most promising young talent in the draft. Hindsight is 20/20 every club has had failures at the draft, even sydney, but saying that we shouldn't have taken King or Luko is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back