Positives and Negatives vs Port Adelaide

WCEswift

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Philly Eagles, Boston Red Sox
From seeing the back of their heads Between Brander Yeo and Rotham will be ****ed

Opposite Kids

Senior List
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
First game I've been to in person for a couple of years but I'm not surprised we took the foot off the pedal in the last quarter, it was hot and muggy and we never seem to run the game out well in those kind of conditions.
Was good to see us bring some pressure to the game though, felt like our contested game around the ground and our tackling was all vastly improved over the last couple of games.
Brander was a pleasant surprise, finally saw some hunger from him and he actually looked like he belonged at AFL level.
Hurn was great all day, going to really miss him in the backline when he finally goes which leads on to my next point.
One thing I did notice in person that doesn't always come across watching on tv is how frustrating Nelson and Cole are across half back, both seem to make a lot of mistakes with the ball, poor decision making and Cole in particular misses a hell of a lot of tackles.
I did call it last week re: Cole - don’t think many people agreed with me

lloydbraun

Team Captain
May 22, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Does Jarrod Brander remind anyone of Chris Judd?

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
First game I've been to in person for a couple of years but I'm not surprised we took the foot off the pedal in the last quarter, it was hot and muggy and we never seem to run the game out well in those kind of conditions.
Was good to see us bring some pressure to the game though, felt like our contested game around the ground and our tackling was all vastly improved over the last couple of games.
Brander was a pleasant surprise, finally saw some hunger from him and he actually looked like he belonged at AFL level.
Hurn was great all day, going to really miss him in the backline when he finally goes which leads on to my next point.
One thing I did notice in person that doesn't always come across watching on tv is how frustrating Nelson and Cole are across half back, both seem to make a lot of mistakes with the ball, poor decision making and Cole in particular misses a hell of a lot of tackles.
Bad call on the hot and muggy, was only our previous home game which was hotter and muggier and we ran that out ok.

2nd bad call is on Nelson. 85% disposal efficiency this year, rated elite. Sure he is no Hurn and probably will never be. But he is really improved and I think some fans are blinded by their preconceived notions of him from a few years ago.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Bad call on the hot and muggy, was only our previous home game which was hotter and muggier and we ran that out ok.

2nd bad call is on Nelson. 85% disposal efficiency this year, rated elite. Sure he is no Hurn and probably will never be. But he is really improved and I think some fans are blinded by their preconceived notions of him from a few years ago.
How'd we run out the game against Gold Coast last year when it was hot and muggy?

And if you look back through my posts I've always been pretty positive towards Nelson so I think you have actually have some preconceived notions about fans as a collective on here.
I didn't rate him in this game, but to be fair he was nowhere near as bad as Cole.

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
How'd we run out the game against Gold Coast last year when it was hot and muggy?

And if you look back through my posts I've always been pretty positive towards Nelson so I think you have actually have some preconceived notions about fans as a collective on here.
I didn't rate him in this game, but to be fair he was nowhere near as bad as Cole.
There was a little more wrong with the team last year in round 2 than simply blaming it on being hot and muggy. Anyway, you said never. It was only 2 weeks ago.

Don't need preconceived ideas about fans. I attend every home game and you hear it in the stands. A bit less nowadays as Petch has taken his place as team whipping boy.

You are bashing on Nelson when he was fine. Cole didn't have his best game. And if we were picking on someone in the backline whos disposal was s**t I would have mentioned McGovern as #1 culprit from Sat night.

Nelson plays it very safe now. So a lot of his kicks are switching kicks or passes to better ball users.

25 touches, 10 marks, 6 intercepts and 5 score involvements on 3 turnovers.

He is reliable with ball in hand and is playing his role well, with the added flexibility of being a run with option.

He also gave Charlie Dixon a shove when he spudded it up on the boundary

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Nelson with the ball, with time and space, is good. Nelson without the ball or under pressure with no time and space is often too shaky for someone in his 7th season. Cole is similar. Duggan is also not reliable enough under pressure.

All three are good players but you really would like them to eliminate the 1-2 critical errors per game given how experienced they are now. Rotham already looks more reliable.

Nelson with the ball, with time and space, is good. Nelson without the ball or under pressure with no time and space is often too shaky for someone in his 7th season. Cole is similar. Duggan is also not reliable enough under pressure.

All three are good players but you really would like them to eliminate the 1-2 critical errors per game given how experienced they are now. Rotham already looks more reliable.
Rotham has kicked a couple of total grubbers out of defence already. Bung and shep can kick turnovers under pressure.

Would it be nice if our backs had more composure. Yes.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
There was a little more wrong with the team last year in round 2 than simply blaming it on being hot and muggy. Anyway, you said never. It was only 2 weeks ago.

Don't need preconceived ideas about fans. I attend every home game and you hear it in the stands. A bit less nowadays as Petch has taken his place as team whipping boy.

You are bashing on Nelson when he was fine. Cole didn't have his best game. And if we were picking on someone in the backline whos disposal was sh*t I would have mentioned McGovern as #1 culprit from Sat night.
I agree with you on McGovern, I hate those lazy kicks he does where he kicks it to someone on the other team 10 metres in front of who he was actually kicking to. In saying that McGovern had a higher disposal efficiency for the night than Nelson so if that's what you're basing it on then maybe it's not telling the full story?
My perception of Nelson's game was that he got a lot of easy uncontested possession throughout the night but when the pressure was on he wasn't that great.
Cole was just rubbish all night imo, made a lot of mistakes.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
So if Shuey's hammy is indeed a standard 21 dayer that means he misses the Saints, Pies and Cats game. Given his hamstrings are made of paper towel, I would be giving him an extra week on top of that and missing the Freo game too. The following game is Hawthorn so depending on how many wins we are sitting on at that point, I wouldn't be opposed to him sitting that one out too.

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
I agree with you on McGovern, I hate those lazy kicks he does where he kicks it to someone on the other team 10 metres in front of who he was actually kicking to. In saying that McGovern had a higher disposal efficiency for the night than Nelson so if that's what you're basing it on then maybe it's not telling the full story?
My perception of Nelson's game was that he got a lot of easy uncontested possession throughout the night but when the pressure was on he wasn't that great.
Cole was just rubbish all night imo, made a lot of mistakes.
Govs probably felt worse as his 2 big clangers happened one after the other. But mostly due to where they happened, with no pressure on him at all and how far off his target they were.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Govs probably felt worse as his 2 big clangers happened one after the other. But mostly due to where they happened, with no pressure on him at all and how far off his target they were.
Yeah, it's bloody frustrating and he does it semi-regularly, and it always seems to be in dangerous parts of the ground.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Gov has been pretty ordinary in the last two seasons. Signed a big contract and then regressed from A grade star to the next level down. Still a good player that every team would want, but not playing at the level of our highest paid player.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
FKASC 4 tackles each to Gaff, Sheed and Petch. You must like that

Gaff monstering Motlop in a front on tackle confirmed we have a new leader in the softest player in the league contest. I know he was already up there but for all gaff's pure heart bursting hard running and all round game if you were to put the top 100 experienced midfielders in the league in a full body strength contest I reckon gaff would come last and he monstered Motlop in that tackle.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Gaff monstering Motlop in a front on tackle confirmed we have a new leader in the softest player in the league contest. I know he was already up there but for all gaff's pure heart bursting hard running and all round game if you were to put the top 100 experienced midfielders in the league in a full body strength contest I reckon gaff would come last and he monstered Motlop in that tackle.
TBF I've seen Gaff hold on the dear life and bring some players down. Funny thing is our worst tacklers always seem to tackle well when the whole teams lifts for big games like Port. Reckon we saw a lot efforts like this from Gaff/Sheed/Masten in 2018

What about a punching contest?

mad_eagle

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2008
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Sitting there in the stands, immediately after the siren went & Robbie Gray got that last soft goal to bring the margin below 40, I was pissed that we took the foot off the throat so to speak.

But now that I’ve thought about it a bit more I’m willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt. It’s was disgusting at the ground on Saturday night, muggy as all hell & I was sweating profusely just sitting in the stands. Not sure if it was a deliberate tactic to backs things right off or if they were just completely stuffed after working so hard during the first half. Fingers crossed the boys pull up alright for the saints this weekend.

Back