Preview Is it too early to turn to drink? Fremantle (h) vs Hawthorn, Optus Stadium Round 4 2021

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
1617581152911.png
Gidday Freo. Look I feel almost as bad as you do about your current predicament. Out of finals for five years is bad enough, but to see you play like that against Carlton, frankly you are looking as relevant and attractive as Jeff in the robes of office.
1617581210216.png

You know I still remember the days when you were, well, not exactly my equal but at least you could hold your own in some of those drinking games we had. I even recall the time I dropped into your place for what I thought would be a quick pit stop on my way to big Saturday afternoon glory in 2010. I was so sure I was going to do some damage that night I even brought a skipper with me. Wayde ******* Skipper to be exact, I’ll never live that one down, what a ******* disaster, I still can’t remember how I got home.

I got plenty revenge though Freo. I mean, remember how every year you’d roll up to my place expecting a BBQ and a few choice brews in my back yard only for the chief to say “Sorry son, didn’t we tell ya, he’s 500km away in Lonnie in the freaking sleet and you’ll just have to haul your sorry arse down there if you want to play, we don’t let your type in here at the home of football”. I have lost count of the number of times you turned up to Tassie like a faithful dog to be kicked all the way back to Perth, it was cruel but as the chief always said to me afterwards, no one cares Al, it’s Freo.

Then finally hey, you surprised us all and gatecrashed the birthday party uninvited in 2013 and you arrived at the G with that hot looking chief brewer Ross Lyon on your arm and everyone thought, well hang on a moment, maybe they’re serious this time. But then you opened your Esky on the big day and brought out a Zac Clarke Cruiser and a Danyle Pearce Ultra Low Alcohol Pale Ale and a Nick Suban Syrup of Ipecac and everyone just felt sad and embarrassed for you, like George Bush trying to give the victory sign to some Aussie farmers but with his fingers around the wrong way. Same old Freo.

1617581333087.png

Anyway that’s all water under the bridge and to be perfectly honest I had the worst three peat hangover you can imagine, I’ve lost a few intervening years in the mist and haven’t been on the top of my game myself but mate, at least the famous old Glenferrie Brewery is still not as s**t as you. So to cheer you up I thought I’d bring over a selection of my new craft beers this week, with some tasting notes so you know what you’re drinking. The word on the street was you could do with some cheer since most of your attempts at putting something tasty together for 2021 spilt out of the vat and is lying on the cold concrete physio room floor at Cockburn.

Enjoy Freo!

Your drinking buddy Angry Al, Brewmeister

Tasting Notes:

BACKS:

Sam Frost Frothy. Imported hops from Melbourne, big head, bitter after-kick

Kyle Hartigan Headspinner. Stale Adelaide bouquet. Traditional old fashioned brew. Not sure why I bothered with this one.

Changkuoth Jiath Juice. Bold but unbalanced drink, will likely improve with careful cellaring.

HALF BACKS:

Jarman the Barman Impey. Seems to have lost none of its zest, enjoy with a twist of knee lime

Blake Hardwick Amber Ale. Previous solid stable beer, lately seems to have become a little ragged and unreliable. Still packs a punch on its day.

Harry Morrison Mead. Sweet little number, one for the ladies and the ladies at heart

CENTRES:

Tom Phillips Porter. I stumbled across this one in the burning embers of the Collingwood Brewery Fire. Brought it home and now I am not quite sure whether I like that smoky porter taste. A work in progress.

Jaeger O’Meara O’Lager. Hops sourced from the tropical Gold Coast, bursting with aromas of passionfruit, pineapple and fig jam.

James Worpel IPA. A bit of an oddity for the Hawthorn Brewery that usually prefers to serve up recycled bottled beer, this one is actually a good draught pick. Very easy on the palate, just a solid well rounded drop.

HALF FORWARDS:

Luke Brewst. Say no more, was born to be a beer.

Jacob “The Coldie” Koschitzke. Just quietly this is an awful drop, living off the reputation of his name. Expect it to be a limited release available only this year and off the tasting list for 2022.

Chad Wingard Wheat Beer. I always had a soft spot for this one, even when it was showponying itself around the provincial SA tasting circuit. Ignore the hype, a tasty well balanced drink.

FORWARDS:

Shaun Burgoyne Sour. Ancient ale, made in the traditional Lambic style by Benedictine monks. Reached its peak flavour in the 16th century.

Jon Ceglar Cigar. Not a beer obviously. Puffing a cigar though is the 5th P I forgot to mention when I lectured the boys about piss, penis, punting and powder.

Tyler Brockman Sneaky Cider. Stole the idea for this one from under your noses, unfortunately the only available serving size is a middy, if I could squeeze a pint out it would be more memorable

FOLLOWERS:

Ben McEvoy Biggie Ale. I put this long neck up as my vanguard representative at the annual captains day in 2021, and it just got laughed at by the other 17 brewers. Still, not as bad as the Stratton Carton, what a utensil-up pick for a leader that was.

Tom Mitchell Mid Strength. You can drink forty of these on a good day and still not notice that it’s had any impact. Bland in every regard.

Liam Shiels Irish Stout. The drinking man’s beer, never lets you down this one.

INTERCHANGE AND EMERGENCIES:

I do have a few out the back on the bench but bugger me if I am going to list all them too, have to keep something up my sleeve for your trip to Tassie later in the year.

The real preview:

1617581450423.png
1617581465032.png
1617581477209.png

Round Four 2021

Venue:
Optus Stadium, Sunday April 11 2021 at 1440 hrs.

Weather prediction:

1617581520960.png

Min 17

Max 28

Partly cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a shower. Winds east to northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h turning north to northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day.

Overall head to head:

Freo P37 W9 D0 L28 (yep that's a less than 25% win rate!!!)

Last five meetings:

2020 R11 Fremantle 7.6 (48) d Hawthorn 4.8 (32) Optus Stadium

2019 R17 Hawthorn 12.12 (84) d Fremantle 8.5 (53) Launceston

2018 R19 Hawthorn 17.10 (112) d Fremantle 7.11 (53) Optus Stadium

2017 R18 Hawthorn 15.10 (100) d Fremantle 7.6 (48) Subiaco Oval

2016 R8 Hawthorn 17.14 (116) d Fremantle 11.9 (75) Launceston

Where it will be won:

The careful readers will notice the Freo goal scoring record the last four times we’ve met: 7, 8, 7, 7 goals. Three of those games at home. We simply have to do something more to score, or a season that is already bleeding heavier than the head of a drunk that fell and struck the Northbridge pavement will ebb further away.

Where are the goals going to come from? The failthful have faith that S Sturt (3 career games, 4 career goals) and J Treacy (0 career games, 0 career goals) are the answer. The faithful are as blind as a teenager after drinking a jug of methanol laced cocktails in a Kuta nightclub. But it might just work JLo. Are you listening? Just play them please.

But it can’t just be the forwards, Look at those tasting notes from Angry Al – we really should be able to cover the hawks in the midfield. Darcy back into the #1 ruck and Fyfe midfield to stop the centre clearance debacle vs Carlton will go a long way to protecting Cox and his undersized backline defensively, and mean we can try and get the ball outside enough to give the forwards something to lead to n some semblance of a coordinated fashion.

Prediction:

The game will be an arm wrestle, I predict Freo to kick a bevy of early goals and get out to a handy quarter time lead only to have it slowly pegged back as the McEvoy-Ceglar combination wear down an underdone Darcy through attrition. But a couple of spectacular solo efforts from the much improved M Frederick and the evergreen M Walters in the last quarter will cap off the work of S Sturt (4* career games, 7* career goals) and J Treacy (1* career game, 3* career goals) and see us prevail.

Freo by 14 points. Celebratory beers. hangovers all round. I might even chuck a sickie on the Monday if all goes to plan.

And if we lose? Drown the sorrows.

1617582330438.png

Last edited:

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
As someone who was in the minority and picked us to beat GWS. I picked Carlton over us and got the margin of 45 correct too..
All I'll say is we're gonna come out and win by 27 points.

Another thing I've been saying has come to the realisation of a few around here is (CONSERVATIVE) Jlo! Stop being conservative at the selection table and on gameday. I honestly think he's tactically sound, but he seems to be affraid/reluctant to make the obvious decisions necessary.

Clarko will see our weaknesses and his men will go the biff as we looked weak as during ( The easter sunday massacre). I think we need to be in demolition derby mode and be ready to go. Conca, Blakely and Treacy!!!..must do what their forefathers did and be ready to brawl. We've shown that we're piss weak especially our young mids..Hawks will exploit that.

If we turn up fragile, affraid, weak...I'd honestly like to see Dale Kickett himself go down and talk to these weaklings. We better turn up! Line in the sand game for Freo/Jlo.

Another incredible preview, and here I was going to half arse my North Melbourne won, going to have to hire an editor and publisher at his point, attend some writing seminars or something...

On the game, I’m confident we win this one, coming off a bye, we should be refreshed and good to go. We also have some good ins this week

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
View attachment 1094236Gidday Freo. Look I feel almost as bad as you do about your current predicament. Out of finals for five years is bad enough, but to see you play like that against Carlton, frankly you are looking as relevant and attractive as Jeff in the robes of office.
View attachment 1094238
You know I still remember the days when you were, well, not exactly my equal but at least you could hold your own in some of those drinking games we had. I even recall the time I dropped into your place for what I thought would be a quick pit stop on my way to big Saturday afternoon glory in 2010. I was so sure I was going to do some damage that night I even brought a skipper with me. Wayde ******* Skipper to be exact, I’ll never live that one down, what a ******* disaster, I still can’t remember how I got home.

I got plenty revenge though Freo. I mean, remember how every year you’d roll up to my place expecting a BBQ and a few choice brews in my back yard only for the chief to say “Sorry son, didn’t we tell ya, he’s 500km away in Lonnie in the freaking sleet and you’ll just have to haul your sorry arse down there if you want to play, we don’t let your type in here at the home of football”. I have lost count of the number of times you turned up to Tassie like a faithful dog to be kicked all the way back to Perth, it was cruel but as the chief always said to me afterwards, no one cares Al, it’s Freo.

Then finally hey, you surprised us all and gatecrashed the birthday party uninvited in 2013 and you arrived at the G with that hot looking chief brewer Ross Lyon on your arm and everyone thought, well hang on a moment, maybe they’re serious this time. But then you opened your Esky on the big day and brought out a Zac Clarke Cruiser and a Danyle Pearce Ultra Low Alcohol Pale Ale and a Nick Suban Syrup of Ipecac and everyone just felt sad and embarrassed for you, like George Bush trying to give the victory sign to some Aussie farmers but with his fingers around the wrong way. Same old Freo.

View attachment 1094240

Anyway that’s all water under the bridge and to be perfectly honest I had the worst three peat hangover you can imagine, I’ve lost a few intervening years in the mist and haven’t been on the top of my game myself but mate, at least the famous old Glenferrie Brewery is still not as sh*t as you. So to cheer you up I thought I’d bring over a selection of my new craft beers this week, with some tasting notes so you know what you’re drinking. The word on the street was you could do with some cheer since most of your attempts at putting something tasty together for 2021 spilt out of the vat and is lying on the cold concrete physio room floor at Cockburn.

Enjoy Freo!

Tasting Notes:

BACKS:

Kyle Hartigan Headspinner. Stale Adelaide bouquet. Traditional old fashioned brew. Not sure why I bothered with this one.

Changkuoth Jiath Juice. Bold but unbalanced drink, will likely improve with careful cellaring.

HALF BACKS:

Jarman the Barman Impey. Seems to have lost none of its zest, enjoy with a twist of knee lime

Blake Hardwick Amber Ale. Previous solid stable beer, lately seems to have become a little ragged and unreliable. Still packs a punch on its day.

Harry Morrison Mead. Sweet little number, one for the ladies and the ladies at heart

CENTRES:

Tom Phillips Porter. I stumbled across this one in the burning embers of the Collingwood Brewery Fire. Brought it home and now I am not quite sure whether I like that smoky porter taste. A work in progress.

Jaeger O’Meara O’Lager. Hops sourced from the tropical Gold Coast, bursting with aromas of passionfruit, pineapple and fig jam.

James Worpel IPA. A bit of an oddity for the Hawthorn Brewery that usually prefers to serve up recycled bottled beer, this one is actually a good draught pick. Very easy on the palate, just a solid well rounded drop.

HALF FORWARDS:

Jacob “The Coldie” Koschitzke. Just quietly this is an awful drop, living off the reputation of his name. Expect it to be a limited release available only this year and off the tasting list for 2022.

Chad Wingard Wheat Beer. I always had a soft spot for this one, even when it was showponying itself around the provincial SA tasting circuit. Ignore the hype, a tasty well balanced drink.

FORWARDS:

Shaun Burgoyne Sour. Ancient ale, made in the traditional Lambic style by Benedictine monks. Reached its peak flavour in the 16th century.

Jon Ceglar Cigar. Not a beer obviously. Puffing a cigar though is the 5th P I forgot to mention when I lectured the boys about piss, penis, punting and powder.

Tyler Brockman Sneaky Cider. Stole the idea for this one from under your noses, unfortunately the only available serving size is a middy, if I could squeeze a pint out it would be more memorable

FOLLOWERS:

Ben McEvoy Biggie Ale. I put this long neck up as my vanguard representative at the annual captains day in 2021, and it just got laughed at by the other 17 brewers. Still, not as bad as the Stratton Carton, what a utensil-up pick for a leader that was.

Tom Mitchell Mid Strength. You can drink forty of these on a good day and still not notice that it’s had any impact. Bland in every regard.

I do have a few out the back on the bench but bugger me if I am going to list all them too, have to keep something up my sleeve for your trip to Tassie later in the year.

The real preview:

View attachment 1094241View attachment 1094242View attachment 1094243

Round Four 2021

Venue:

Weather prediction:

View attachment 1094244

Min 17

Max 28

Partly cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a shower. Winds east to northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h turning north to northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day.

Overall head to head:

Last five meetings:

Where it will be won:

The careful readers will notice the Freo goal scoring record the last four times we’ve met: 7, 8, 7, 7 goals. Three of those games at home. We simply have to do something more to score, or a season that is already bleeding heavier than the head of a drunk that fell and struck the Northbridge pavement will ebb further away.

Where are the goals going to come from? The failthful have faith that S Sturt (3 career games, 4 career goals) and J Treacy (0 career games, 0 career goals) are the answer. The faithful are as blind as a teenager after drinking a jug of methanol laced cocktails in a Kuta nightclub. But it might just work JLo. Are you listening? Just play them please.

But it can’t just be the forwards, Look at those tasting notes from Angry Al – we really should be able to cover the hawks in the midfield. Darcy back into the #1 ruck and Fyfe midfield to stop the centre clearance debacle vs Carlton will go a long way to protecting Cox and his undersized backline defensively, and mean we can try and get the ball outside enough to give the forwards something to lead to n some semblance of a coordinated fashion.

Prediction:

The game will be an arm wrestle, I predict Freo to kick a bevy of early goals and get out to a handy quarter time lead only to have it slowly pegged back as the McEvoy-Ceglar combination wear down an underdone Darcy through attrition. But a couple of spectacular solo efforts from the much improved M Frederick and the evergreen M Walters in the last quarter will cap off the work of S Sturt (4* career games, 7* career goals) and J Treacy (1* career game, 3* career goals) and see us prevail.

Freo by 14 points. Celebratory beers. hangovers all round. I might even chuck a sickie on the Monday if all goes to plan.

View attachment 1094262
Awesome!

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
View attachment 1094236Gidday Freo. Look I feel almost as bad as you do about your current predicament. Out of finals for five years is bad enough, but to see you play like that against Carlton, frankly you are looking as relevant and attractive as Jeff in the robes of office.
View attachment 1094238

View attachment 1094240

Anyway that’s all water under the bridge and to be perfectly honest I had the worst three peat hangover you can imagine, I’ve lost a few intervening years in the mist and haven’t been on the top of my game myself but mate, at least the famous old Glenferrie Brewery is still not as sh*t as you. So to cheer you up I thought I’d bring over a selection of my new craft beers this week, with some tasting notes so you know what you’re drinking. The word on the street was you could do with some cheer since most of your attempts at putting something tasty together for 2021 spilt out of the vat and is lying on the cold concrete physio room floor at Cockburn.

Enjoy Freo!

Tasting Notes:

BACKS:

HALF BACKS:

CENTRES:

HALF FORWARDS:

FORWARDS:

FOLLOWERS:

The real preview:

View attachment 1094241View attachment 1094242View attachment 1094243

Round Four 2021

Venue:

Weather prediction:

View attachment 1094244

Min 17

Max 28

Overall head to head:

Last five meetings:

Where it will be won:

Prediction:

View attachment 1094262

What an awesome start to our week after the disaster of yesterday.

Still laughing about the Jager O'Mera tasting notes 😂😂 That fig jam aftertaste is so special.

mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
Watching the Hawks today, their forward line is worse than ours, we should belt these blokes at home. They're also coming off a six day break.

Six goal win, and the yoyo of being a Freo supporter will continue.

I think it's easy to get carried away during the game, in reality Carlton beat Freo in just a quarter and a half, and it was a game where we desperately needed Fyfe to go into the middle to even the contest. We made a team that is on average 2 years older look slick, I think we saw their best and our worst. Freo are better than what they've shown on the road this year.

Looking forward to a win next week and being 2/2

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
😂😂😂😂😂😂

Jesus Square Peg...

Mate... If I were a starfish, I would happily pertake of your above beverage list, and raise five charged glasses at once to toast that bloody hilarious preview, instead of my usual one 🙂👍

(Plus after last week's performance, drowning my sorrows in five beers simultaneously sounds like a frickin good idea!!).

But seeing as a starfish has only one orifice located at the bottom of it's body, sitting down to drink five beers at once is somewhat problematic.... plus every time it takes a dump, it needs to wipe its mouth.

This season is already leaving a shitty-enough after taste between games frankly, without me needing to add to it.

So I think I'll abandon my stupid and somewhat tortuous starfish metaphor, and merely say "Very Well Done!" 👏👏

Freo by 5 points. 🍺⭐

Last edited:

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
That intro was a shining light after the dour crap I've been reading on here since last night.
Thank you and Well done , standing ovation 👏👏👏
Looking forward to going to the game
Haven't been for nearly 2 years ( WOW 😯- bloody Covid )

Carn the Dockers !!!

Megalon

Skills pay the bills
Jun 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I felt so deflated after Sunday's game but your brilliant match preview has given me a bigger buzz than a big can of Imperial IPA. :thumbsupemoji:

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
As someone who was in the minority and picked us to beat GWS. I picked Carlton over us and got the margin of 45 correct too..
All I'll say is we're gonna come out and win by 27 points.

Another thing I've been saying has come to the realisation of a few around here is (CONSERVATIVE) Jlo! Stop being conservative at the selection table and on gameday. I honestly think he's tactically sound, but he seems to be affraid/reluctant to make the obvious decisions necessary.

Clarko will see our weaknesses and his men will go the biff as we looked weak as during ( The easter sunday massacre). I think we need to be in demolition derby mode and be ready to go. Conca, Blakely and Treacy!!!..must do what their forefathers did and be ready to brawl. We've shown that we're piss weak especially our young mids..Hawks will exploit that.

If we turn up fragile, affraid, weak...I'd honestly like to see Dale Kickett himself go down and talk to these weaklings. We better turn up! Line in the sand game for Freo/Jlo.
Don't think Dale would have the heart to do that anymore, talked to him a few years back and he hates talking about the Demolition Derby, very much regrets everything he did and reckons he was an idiot for doing so.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Yeah, I've heard the same
Yeah and it's fair enough too, looking back you don't wanna be the guy who's career is remembered by punching campaigners out. I just remember my mate saying before meeting him "Never bring up that Derby around him, it gets him real down and annoyed."

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
A curious question for crowd figuree has emperor mcgowan lifted the capacity to 100% for sporting venues yet in WA.

Or is it still at 75%.

I noticed we only got 27k the 1st home game

Mogumber

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
We don't have a very good product, and it was rusted on members last home game.
Played well though, if they keep playing like that at home then attendances may improve.
Unfortunately I think this is the new normal

Back