Preview Changes Dogs V Lions at Mars 10.4.21 - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It's dangerous to be overconfident. The weekend showed us that more than ever if a team is a bit off mentally, the opposition will pounce.

It may be this week, it may be later but there will be a week where the opposition's intensity will be greater than ours on the day and we'll get rolled.

Then the sky will be falling down in here, melts galore and calls to sack Bevo left, right and centre.

Nothing surer.
That’s true and is why our mantra should be always respect the opposition

Sure he did that but if he's hanging his hat on that being his one wood he'll be in trouble. West can do that too. Not sure that that aspect carries quite the same weight as it might have last year and West could be similarly affected.

I've just put the last coat coat of varnish on my shiny new "send Hunter to the VFL to learn/practice how to kick effectively in the new environment" bandwagon (now with 20% extra seating). Fold out steps, ramps and handrails for our senior members.

West can’t do it because he doesn’t have the tank. That IS Hunters one wood. No one else at the club works as hard as Hunter.

Just hope he can get his confidence up with his kicking and move the ball faster again.

With Wood coming in last week and not dropping a defender I think we're out of balance, playing a forward short.
Out: Scott
In: Cav

Out: Gardner
In: Young

Backs: Keath, Young, Duryea, Wood, Williams, Daniel, Dale
Mids: Martin, Bont, Macrae, Smith, Treloar, Dunkley, Libba, Hunter
Forwards: English, Bruce, Naughton, Cavarra, JJ, VDM, McNeil

I would add hunter to that list. Make him the backline general. If he is to lose his wing spot then move him one line back. Too good a player to be left out.

I have been saying this for two years. Hunter plays left back flank most of the time anyway, he is just not made to be accountable like the true backmen.

Could lose the game with a poor performance. If there's any experimentation to be done, I'd hope it was done in training and through the 2nds rather than playing for points against a top 4 side over the last 2 years. Not sure there's any evidence that Schache has played or trained in a defensive role.

Seems like there will be a hard edge to selection this year, as there should be when we're ready to genuinely contend. And we are ready to genuinely contend.
I wasn't advocating experimenting with it in the AFL next week. Give it a trial in the VFL and it it shows promising signs have an attempt at AFL level.
That is why it is a no risk strategy no one wants him as a KPD Vs Lions
Nothing lost by trialling it at VFL level to see if it might have legs

West can’t do it because he doesn’t have the tank. That IS Hunters one wood. No one else at the club works as hard as Hunter.

Just hope he can get his confidence up with his kicking and move the ball faster again.
I hope that all our players get their confidence up including Hunter. However, as we've seen with Wallis and JJ already this year, there's every chance that players will be asked to get that confidence, reinvent themselves or improve their skill levels in the twos. IMO Hunter should be sharpening up in the twos as of this week.....(even though they aren't playing....so a medical sub reprieve perhaps).

I wasn't advocating experimenting with it in the AFL next week. Give it a trial in the VFL and it it shows promising signs have an attempt at AFL level.
That is why it is a no risk strategy no one wants him as a KPD Vs Lions
Nothing lost by trialling it at VFL level to see if it might have legs
Well that's alright then :sweatsmile:

You are a very hard task master.
Keith, Williams, Crozier, Daniel are close to elite defenders.
Wood, Duryea experienced, accountable foot soldiers who do a job week in week out.
Dale - was not remotely convinced but the coach got me again. So far working.
Question is only on our second KPD. Did not rate Gardner but has been very solid in 2games this year. Young, Cordy or Schache to step up.

Think we are ok down back with Scott, JJ, Butler, Khamis as options as well.

I agree our backline is looking a lot better now. While still slightly short there is enough aerial power between the flankers (Wood, Crozier, Williams), enough body size (Keath, Gardner), and enough at ground level (Dureya, Daniel, JJ) to win some finals.

We miss a true full back with both size and pace (May, Jonas) and a true tall/small defender (Morris, Grimes) but I think we can cover a lot with what we have.

Edit - can add Dale into the mix now with Daniel, JJ and Duryea.

Last edited:
Young is the right call for the Gardner replacement as opposed to Cordy, but that doesn't mean I'm not terrified at the thought. This is his chance and he really needs to grab it with both hands.

Athletically both Daniher and Hipwood are good matchups for Young, but they are both hugely dangerous and can expose the weaknesses he has shown off in the past (work rate, getting caught on the rebound, defensive pressure/tackling, one on one contests). Fingers crossed he delivers a much improved performance.

There may be a domino effect. One goes down but replacement needs other changes. (I don't know what, though)
Yes, I could see Lippa keeping his spot. So Young in for Gardner, then someone gets relegated to sub perhaps with team balance in mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OUT: Gardner and Scott
IN: Cavarra and Young

FB: Wood, Young, Williams
HB: Dale, Keath, Daniel
C: Smith, Macrae, Treloar
HF: Hunter, Naughton, Dunkley
FF: English, Bruce, VDM
R: Martin, Bont, Libba
Int: McNeil, Duryea, JJ, Cavarra
23rd man: Lipinski

If it's wet I would possibly go in with Wallis over Young. We'd then back Wood against Hipwood and worst case fling Naughton back. That said, if it's wet it will be interesting to see if we go in with Bruce/Naughton/Martin/English

That team was looking strong until I saw Hunter in the forward line 🤦‍♂️ Even on the wings I prefer speed and players that move the ball quick. Hunter is really getting on my nerve lately.

I think dale had surprised everyone playing back for some reason he has been sticking tackles he didn't before taking intercept marks a still kicks goals a master stroke or lucky accident who knows/cares it is only 3 games so far still go dale go dogs, schache to defense absolutely no he should play third tall forward

Schache naughton bont/ resting mid
West Bruce cavarra

I think dale had surprised everyone playing back for some reason he has been sticking tackles he didn't before taking intercept marks a still kicks goals a master stroke or lucky accident who knows/cares it is only 3 games so far still go dale go dogs, schache to defense absolutely no he should play third tall forward

Schache naughton bont/ resting mid
West Bruce cavarra
If we were playing one ruck I'd agree about Schache. English is playing 3rd tall and is argurably the hardest matchup in the league for a 3rd defender. No way could we add another tall forward into the mix

Kind of annoying playing in Ballarat probably in the rain, kind of throws out our whole form and structure, would love to go into this with the same set up we’ve been playing and pants Brisbane’s bog average midfield under the roof

If we were playing one ruck I'd agree about Schache. English is playing 3rd tall and is argurably the hardest matchup in the league for a 3rd defender. No way could we add another tall forward into the mix
I think when English goes forward schache could go to the wing

Kind of annoying playing in Ballarat probably in the rain, kind of throws out our whole form and structure, would love to go into this with the same set up we’ve been playing and pants Brisbane’s bog average midfield under the roof
It's going to be a test for sure, but if we can't adapt to different conditions, we're not as good as we think we are. Brisbane will be stiff opposition too.

It's going to be a test for sure, but if we can't adapt to different conditions, we're not as good as we think we are. Brisbane will be stiff opposition too.
No doubt we need to be able to adapt but you need every edge you can get in this game to win the flag and we sell one of our biggest edges twice a year (how well we play Marvel). I get why we do it but it’s just a bit frustrating

I think when English goes forward schache could go to the wing
Bevo has proven that he does speculative team selection. Dale to HB is the latest example. However, if they were going to put Schache on the wing, we would have seen it in pre-season or VFL practice matches. Even Bevo wouldn't just drop that on us.

No doubt we need to be able to adapt but you need every edge you can get in this game to win the flag and we sell one of our biggest edges twice a year (how well we play Marvel). I get why we do it but it’s just a bit frustrating
Mars stadium was built to the same dimensions as he MCG so a few extra games on a ground that size is not a bad thing.
The grand final isn't played under a roof either.
I get what you are saying re our advantage at Marvel, but it isn't entirely negative playing at Mars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back